Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Not a complaint Jonny H but it will be great when you can make all the set-up, controls, and updates work via iPhone with no need for a computer, Windows or otherwise.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #561 (permalink)

I wouldn't hold your breath, attaching something to Android is more likely. Apple charges for the privelege of connecting hardware to an iPhone, and I don't think it's probably worth their while to do this.
being love by new owners:
1990 964 C2, 2007 C4S Cabriolet, 1997 986, 1958 356 A
Old 06-12-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #562 (permalink)

^ We have a working iPhone app in prototype which talks to the AC via BLE. The big issue is supporting both IOS and Android without having to maintain two code bases. Looking a Google Flutter right now, could be an option.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #563 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
Hey all! I've just uploaded part 3 of my Classic Retrofit A/C install video onto YouTube. https://youtu.be/tgUDTnBcYTc
Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #564 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, got everything installed and went to get it charged, 30 minutes to evacuate system about 15 minutes to fill 20oz or 1.250lb. Ambient temp was 80 degrees, started car and got idle up around 2300rpm turned on system and got it down to about 37 degrees at center vent in 5 ?? minutes or so. Went for a drive with windows up and the car cooled down nicely, I was getting quite a bit of cold air from the lower ducts but I have no way to adjust while driving ( from my own design, nothing to do with classic). Will try to adjust so more air is coming in center vent.

This was all done with the 90A alternator will be installing the 150A tomorrow and reset values see what we come up with.

www.davekealoha.com
Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #565 (permalink)

Garage
On the first day after charging ac, yesterday, I went by my buddies shop, and bounced some ideas around and he came up with a vent that will mount to bottom of kneepad. We did one prototype in his 3D printer, 6 hours to print the part, to check for fit and it fits perfect! We will load his printer with black vinyl and make another with some ears for mounting and maybe a slight redesign. Debating on 2 vents or 1, one on passenger and one on driver or just one in the center. we are also fabbing an aluminum piece that will screw into the blend valve from the bottom with a 90 degree bend so that the ducting goes from one hard mount to another with clamps holding it in place instead of the compression fit, and also keep the ducting tucked up tight under the dash.

www.davekealoha.com

Last edited by flyn-hawn; 06-13-2018 at 12:05 AM..
Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #566 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

That custom vent is super nice - looks like it belongs there for sure!

I'm also really jealous of you folks that live in areas that have daytime ambient temps of 80 F this time of year - fookin 86 at 2am here last night, which is not unusual.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #567 (permalink)

Garage
Very cool vent design
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #568 (permalink)
Jacksonville, Fl

Man, 3D Printing is so cool! Cant wait to see the final product!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #569 (permalink)

^ What they all said. Your vent rocks DK.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #570 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Removing the support structure must have been tedious in that vent?!

6 hours to print, 6 hours of removing support structure!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #571 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Looking a Google Flutter right now, could be an option.
I've heard good things about Flutter from people who would know. React Native is a great alternative as well, though it makes more sense if you also have a website that is related to the app (so perhaps not as handy here).

If there's any way to embed a simple HTTP server on the controller, I suspect getting a general interface set up would be dead-simple, but I'm going down a rabbit hole here...
Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #572 (permalink)

Garage
Just want to add in this thread of my recent experience this week with Jonny:

I happened to be visiting London and emailed Jonny that I would like to take a look at the A/C working in person. Jonny was gracious enough to pick me up and drop me off from the train station near his part of England in his amazing 911 SC that was running frigid, ice-cold A/C. Having just come from hot and humid Houston, TX, I was immediately sold.

Jonny also was kind enough to show me around his workshop with his other products. I can say first-hand that it's a first-class operation based on constant testing, development, and solid empirical evidence of results achieved. His passion and meticulous way of approaching product development based on his technical background is truly impressive.

Will be ordering an A/C system myself for my cars in Texas. Looking forward to adding these amazing systems to keep me cool.

Jonny - thanks again for taking the time to show me around and letting me experience riding in your 911 ripping through the English countryside. Wonderful times!

1983 911 SC
1976 911 S
Old 06-16-2018, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #573 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn-hawn View Post
Love the color of your car!!!

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #574 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78 Gundam View Post
Just want to add in this thread of my recent experience this week with Jonny:

I happened to be visiting London and emailed Jonny that I would like to take a look at the A/C working in person. Jonny was gracious enough to pick me up and drop me off from the train station near his part of England in his amazing 911 SC that was running frigid, ice-cold A/C. Having just come from hot and humid Houston, TX, I was immediately sold.

Jonny also was kind enough to show me around his workshop with his other products. I can say first-hand that it's a first-class operation based on constant testing, development, and solid empirical evidence of results achieved. His passion and meticulous way of approaching product development based on his technical background is truly impressive.

Will be ordering an A/C system myself for my cars in Texas. Looking forward to adding these amazing systems to keep me cool.

Jonny - thanks again for taking the time to show me around and letting me experience riding in your 911 ripping through the English countryside. Wonderful times!
This has been a fantastic thread to follow. Doesn’t surprise me at all that Jonny and team run a first rate operation. He has been extremely thoughtful and attentive keeping us informed of their progress. Fortunate to have suppliers and forums like this for our 911s!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #575 (permalink)

The irony of all of this is owners who would remove the sunroof for a minimal weight savings, decrease structural integrity and then add weight and complications back into their car.
R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #576 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ How is 40+ lbs off of the highest point in the car minimal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #577 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo

New YouTubeVideo Is UP!

This video series documents my installation of the Classic Retrofit Electrocooler Air Conditioning system into my 1969 Porsche 911.

This is part 4. Today I work on finishing the ducting and A/C Lines.

https://youtu.be/WOfIHXITbOE
Old 06-29-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #578 (permalink)

Average temperature of 76º in San Diego? Take it to Houston, TX.
R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur

Last edited by sithot; 06-29-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Old 06-29-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #579 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

OK, so I saw this image on a video showcasing the high output alternator and took a screen grab. What's the story with what looks like a duct insulator on the top left side of (right side in the photo) the blower unit? Is this a recommendation? Included in the kit? Does it even help?

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #580 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: