Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
I think it is the weather that has Ďgone coldí 😁. In the Northern Hemisphere anyway!
Maybe a good time to update us on the electric heat you were teasing us with a while back?
Old 11-26-2018, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #701 (permalink)

Well I finally got my car going. Little late in the season. No I didnít put in the a/c system. Yet!
But I did put in the big ass 150A alternator. Works like a charm. Just need to new eye burners up front.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #702 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
...sorry, posted reply before I finished my response

(as it is) a lot of cold air being shoved at you a setting II already. At the start of my test drive I was sweating having only stepped out of my house and into the car, got chilled only after a couple minutes, and ended the ride dry and cool (still had moisture on my back, but only cars equipped with seat cooling could address this issue).

I have had vent temps as low as 39F, but normally itís between 43F and 53F. I still believe I have tweaking to do, but I am already a 100% convinced it was a worthwhile upgrade/investment.

Just a comment to add. A short 15 minute drive, leaving from the garage is pointless as a "test". Drive the car for an hour or more, park it in full sun while you eat lunch. Hop into the now very hot car with a heat soaked AC system, and HOT interior. Now drive and see how long does it take to cool off. On my system, I have done that many times. After a day of autocrossing, or cross country trips from Savanna, GA in August in 100+ degree heat. My wife was with me and we were comfortable in short order.

It would be great to see the system work. If it can handle that test I described, I would give it full approval.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-27-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #703 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Just a comment to add. A short 15 minute drive, leaving from the garage is pointless as a "test". Drive the car for an hour or more, park it in full sun while you eat lunch. Hop into the now very hot car with a heat soaked AC system, and HOT interior. Now drive and see how long does it take to cool off. On my system, I have done that many times. After a day of autocrossing, or cross country trips from Savanna, GA in August in 100+ degree heat. My wife was with me and we were comfortable in short order.

It would be great to see the system work. If it can handle that test I described, I would give it full approval.
If it "could" pass the Savanna, GA in JULY/AUGUST test!

Most folks don't know what humidity is. I know the West Coast hasn't a clue.
R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur
Old 11-27-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #704 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Sad but true. And then lost in the feed and scattered to the wind within 24 hours. This forum remains a good permanent repository for information.
100% THIS^

I feel like the forums need to stay alive. I have documented all of my DIY's since my VW days so I can always go back and see what I did. It also helps greatly when it's time to sell the car as well. Not to mention the incredible wealth of knowledge you can get from members here!

On a more related topic to this thread; I'm in the process of working up an order with Johnny for my 87 Carrera. Looking forward to being able to tell you all how it does in Tampa, FL next Summer. I'll post the progress in HERE
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #705 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you PDKLOL
Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #706 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithot View Post
If it "could" pass the Savanna, GA in JULY/AUGUST test!

Most folks don't know what humidity is. I know the West Coast hasn't a clue.
110% this^^^^ Summer in GA sucks for Early Porsche driving.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #707 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
110% this^^^^ Summer in GA sucks for Early Porsche driving.
The plan is for me to have this system installed before May 2019 and drive the car from Tampa to Helen, GA for a car show. It's hit or miss with the weather but historically that show has been very hot. I'll be driving the car there and mountain driving it. This should be a full test for the weather in the South.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #708 (permalink)

If anybody in Phoenix wants to experience the working system let me know.
As a side note, I put a deposit down in early summer, got the system delivered in December.
In addition to the cooling I ordered the alternator as well and Kuehl vents for my car.
I am recently new to Arizona so I visited a few porsche shops before deciding on installer.
Installation was done in three weeks.
It is relatively cool now, so real life perspective is pointless, but now the limiting factor in summer driving will be engine temperature vs cabin temperature.
Also, I got all glass tinted for additional temperature control.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #709 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horolicious View Post
As a side note, I put a deposit down in early summer, got the system delivered in December.
In addition to the cooling I ordered the alternator as well and Kuehl vents for my car.
I am recently new to Arizona so I visited a few porsche shops before deciding on installer.
Installation was done in three weeks.
It is relatively cool now, so real life perspective is pointless, but now the limiting factor in summer driving will be engine temperature vs cabin temperature.
Also, I got all glass tinted for additional temperature control.

Can you post a link to where you got the vents? I'm working on the installation on my car this winter.

Thank you
enjoyed and passed along:
1990 964 C2, 2007 C4S Cabriolet, 1997 986, 1958 356 A
Old 02-12-2019, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #710 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horolicious View Post
I'd love to take you up on that. Maybe you can bring your car out to a cars & coffee or something in June, July, or August and show it off and let some of us other AZ 911 owners see it in action and share your experiences with us.

I'm surprised Becks European, Patrick Motorsports or one of the other AZ shops haven't jumped on this yet. Once would think it it works well they would have a bunch of 911 owners lined up to pay for installs.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #711 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Can you post a link to where you got the vents? I'm working on the installation on my car this winter.

Thank you
https://griffiths.com/product/center-kuehl-vent/

FYI, I didnít make the post but hereís the link.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #712 (permalink)

I realize that for some Porsche owners (particularly those in the south) A/C is a necessity worth whatever it costs. For those of us in more northern climes, the cost/benefit relationship is a little different.

Could someone comment on the cost/benefit of the Classic Retrofit vs the Griffith's system?

In round numbers a Griffith's system can be 1/2 the cost of the Classic Retrofit. Both systems seem about equal in terms of DIY installation complexity. I'm more familiar with traditional A/C but after studying the installation instructions for both, I'd feel comfortable installing either one.

I'd love to have A/C -- especially for long trips -- but it's not a necessity. For me, the cost is a consideration and I need to weigh that against how important A/C might be for my situation. I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this.

Robert
Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #713 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Griffith's system will hang icicles on all your parts, even in very hot climates - proven over and over on the Pelican forums.

By the sounds of your a/c needs, I'm sure that Griff's most basic upgrade kit would suit you well.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 02-12-2019 at 09:01 PM..
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #714 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Fi_Guy View Post
I'd love to take you up on that. Maybe you can bring your car out to a cars & coffee or something in June, July, or August and show it off and let some of us other AZ 911 owners see it in action and share your experiences with us.

I'm surprised Becks European, Patrick Motorsports or one of the other AZ shops haven't jumped on this yet. Once would think it it works well they would have a bunch of 911 owners lined up to pay for installs.
There are no cars and coffee in the summer in Arizona. I believe last one is May.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #715 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebeginnin View Post
https://griffiths.com/product/center-kuehl-vent/

FYI, I didnít make the post but hereís the link.
That is the link. Thank you.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #716 (permalink)

Garage
I ran down to DRT last week. 82 deh4ees, 65-80% humidity.....ran great. On low fan speed vent temps were in the mid to high 30’s and I had to cycle it on and off manually. On high vent temps were low 40’s. This is in a black ca4 tan is not 5ha well sealed, yet. Awesome system.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #717 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Fi_Guy View Post
They do. Patrick Motorsports have installed one system already and have two more on order. John James Racing (also AZ) have installed 2 systems. RSWerks have installed 3 systems, one of which lives in Texas. We have systems in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain, Portugal and Kenya.

We also have a system on a BMW Race car that got put through its paces last season at VIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
Could someone comment on the cost/benefit of the Classic Retrofit vs the Griffith's system?
1) Weight. Electrocooler is half the weight of a conventional system and that weight is at the front. Electrocooler adds just 7.5kg / 16.5 lbs to a 911 when fitted.

2) Integration. Electrocooler is the only 911 system available that integrates AC into the fresh air blower. This means you get a new fresh air system as well as AC. Just one fan for air.

3) Simple. Only one push button to operate. The fresh air sliders manage the air distribution. No extra fans, blowers or extra vents to clutter the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
In round numbers a Griffith's system can be 1/2 the cost of the Classic Retrofit.
Have you got an actual quotation? We have quotes here from other vendors for complete systems and the price difference is less than $1000. BUT, that includes us supplying a brand new 150A alternator.

Many folks have spent way more than $1000 to save 25lbs in weight.

Advertised prices are what you get with us - no hidden costs. System uses no old parts. No old blower boxes to be disassembled or repaired.

Remember, for some people it is summer already (Australia):

(40 deg C = 104F, 8 deg C = 46F)

For others, summer is all year round (Thailand)!

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1125961-porsche-carrera-3-2-club-sport-1988-a.html

Last edited by Jonny H; 02-13-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #718 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter View Post
I ran down to DRT last week. 82 deh4ees, 65-80% humidity.....ran great. On low fan speed vent temps were in the mid to high 30ís and I had to cycle it on and off manually. On high vent temps were low 40ís. This is in a black ca4 tan is not 5ha well sealed, yet. Awesome system.
Hi Chris,

If you set the Compressor Low Speed parameter to 0 (CLO=0) the compressor will switch off when the cabin temperature reaches the setpoint temperature. Default setting is 1 which means the compressor keeps running at lowest speed when setpoint is reached.

We used to ship them set to switch off but (colder) shops were phoning up saying the compressor wouldn't run. They would have to heat the cabin sensor to get it to switch on. Then they try to demo the car in cold weather and it would not run again. Silly problem.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #719 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter View Post
I ran down to DRT last week. 82 deh4ees, 65-80% humidity.....ran great. On low fan speed vent temps were in the mid to high 30ís and I had to cycle it on and off manually. On high vent temps were low 40ís. This is in a black ca4 tan is not 5ha well sealed, yet. Awesome system.
That is a very mild test, but encouraging. A bone stock 1985 Carrera AC system can cope with 82 degrees and 70% humidity. Been there, done that.

I really hope it works as well for you when it is 100+ degrees. Add in high humidity, and then you have a real test. I have been in 118 degrees while going through Needles, California. When I got to Kingman, AZ it felt nice and cool at just 101 degrees outside. My engine temps and cabin temps were great the entire trip from Monterey, CA to Oklahoma City.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #720 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: