Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Singer AC

Singer with a rotary compressor in black; still hard to beat at it's intended job. A 1600 watt "hair dryer" is ok for defrost like the rally cars utilized. Not so much for "real" heat in the real world.

R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur

Last edited by sithot; 02-15-2019 at 06:45 AM..
Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #741 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
This came about because a friend has a beautiful low mileage US spec Carrera. It had AC but the compressor had burnt out. The smugglerís box evaporator/blower and the fresh air system and ductwork were factory fresh. It was so original and new looking that we didnít want to mess with it.

We removed the factory front and rear condensers, the compressor and all the hoses. The electric compressor was mounted near the battery (where we normally mount it on RHD vehicles). We used our condenser assembly up front, new drier and hoses.
You just described my situation, maybe without the factory fresh bit. I am close to making a purchase, would like to know more before I buy a Ďtraditonalí compressor etc
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #742 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithot View Post
Singer with a rotary compressor in black; still hard to beat at it's intended job. A 1600 watt "hair dryer" is ok for defrost like the rally cars utilized. Not so much for "real" heat in the real world.

The compressor has nothing to do with heat?

A 1600 watt Ďhair dryerí left running for 30 minutes in a tiny 911 cabin would warm things up considerably. Tie the warmth with the Ac and youíd have very effective defrost, which is a major issue in 911s.

A truly cosy cabin would be the electric heater and electric heated seats, assuming the new fancy alternator is up to the job of running both plus the Ac.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #743 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Also a provision for plugging in the system to a standard household electrical outlet to operate for pre-warming (or perhaps even cooling) the interior in cold climates prior to getting in the car and driving away would be immensely valuable. Then the heat/defrost would only have to maintain the temperature running off the alternator afterward.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #744 (permalink)

Quote:

^ That’s a ‘mainline’ Singer with a standard compressor. The DLS is altogether different with a custom fan housing, shroud and intake. There is nowhere to mount a compressor on the engine.

The rally cars only had 300W for demist and I agree that this is not enough power for cabin heat. Neither are the masses of eBay electric heaters on offer.

Most Eberspacher/Webasto gas heaters are 2000W so 1600W is not a huge downgrade for a small cabin.

Porsche 911s are sports cars. For most people, that means a run out on a cold morning, not so much Arctic expeditions. If you need heating for sub freezing conditions, keep the heat exchangers.

Last edited by Jonny H; 02-16-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-16-2019, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #745 (permalink)

Quote:

I donít think you understand how heaters work
Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #746 (permalink)

My kit arrived last week! I'll be sharing the installation as well as review for Florida/Georgia humid weather from there. Targeting to be done before a road trip in May.

Progress thread here

Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #747 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post
My kit arrived last week! I'll be sharing the installation as well as review for Florida/Georgia humid weather from there. Targeting to be done before a road trip in May.

Progress thread here

Look forward to hearing your feedback. Im in Tampa and have a 72. Interested in this mod.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #748 (permalink)

Just saw your update link.
This is very interesting.

Last edited by Archer911; 04-13-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Old 04-13-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #749 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jonny,

Now that Iíve got the CR AC, Iím eagerly waiting to hear more about this heater. Last update on your site was last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
^ Thatís a Ďmainlineí Singer with a standard compressor. The DLS is altogether different with a custom fan housing, shroud and intake. There is nowhere to mount a compressor on the engine.

The rally cars only had 300W for demist and I agree that this is not enough power for cabin heat. Neither are the masses of eBay electric heaters on offer.

Most Eberspacher/Webasto gas heaters are 2000W so 1600W is not a huge downgrade for a small cabin.

Porsche 911s are sports cars. For most people, that means a run out on a cold morning, not so much Arctic expeditions. If you need heating for sub freezing conditions, keep the heat exchangers.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #750 (permalink)

Johnny, just browsed your site and didn't see the 964 system yet. Any update on when it will be out?
66 Corvette 427/425
69 Vette Race Car since 1971
Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #751 (permalink)

Garage
I visited Jonny's place the other week and saw the Eco-cooler fitted to a 964. I understand that it used the final prototype fitting kit, so I guess the production tooling version should not be far off now.
It was an extremely neat installation, with most of the 'gubbins' hidden away behind the front bumper.
Peter
Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #752 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRPeter View Post
I visited Jonny's place the other week and saw the Eco-cooler fitted to a 964. I understand that it used the final prototype fitting kit, so I guess the production tooling version should not be far off now.
It was an extremely neat installation, with most of the 'gubbins' hidden away behind the front bumper.
Peter
Very excited about that. Can you share and tell us more what you see?
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #753 (permalink)

Garage
I recall not being able to see much at all - the compressor and radiator were neatly hidden between the wheel arch liner and front bumper. A very neat install.
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #754 (permalink)

Garage
Tried to reply via TapTalk but canít see it, so apologise if this now appears twice.

I recall not being able to see much at all (until Jonny showed me). The compressor and radiator were hidden between the wheel arch liner and the front bumper. A very neat and discrete instal that didnít impact luggage space in the front.
Peter
Old 05-29-2019, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #755 (permalink)

Good afternoon all,

I was wondering if everyone who is buying the kit is upgrading the alternator? I have a 71 with LED lights and no radio (at the moment), and carbs so no EFI or CIS. No rear window defroster or sunroof, manual windows etc.

Do I NEED to upgrade the alternator... its a long hood so I have 2 small batteries.

OH and my engine is a 2.7 so it has the alternator from 75 not 71..
Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #756 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny does a 150Amp alternator (I think itís actually tested at 170A but a standard drive belt can only handle 150) - it can put out something like 70Amps at tick-over.

When you first start the car you need to put maximum energy back into the battery just as youíre needing the most power to the AC.

Go large

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #757 (permalink)

Is the Valeo alternator 91160312004 too small? I believe it is rated at 75 Amps

Olin
1972 911T - Light Yellow
Old 05-30-2019, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #758 (permalink)

Thanks Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRPeter View Post
Tried to reply via TapTalk but canít see it, so apologise if this now appears twice.

I recall not being able to see much at all (until Jonny showed me). The compressor and radiator were hidden between the wheel arch liner and the front bumper. A very neat and discrete instal that didnít impact luggage space in the front.
Peter
Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #759 (permalink)

Johny has been great in his responses regarding the power needs of this unit. I'm considering one, but would like to know how it's working with the upgraded alternator, vs with a stock 90amp or 75amp. This thing takes some juice!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #760 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: