Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Guys, know that song “it’s all about the bass...” Well with this A/c “It’s all about it idle output.” I swapped out a 964 120 amp alternator for the Classic Retro 240amp 964 unit. The total amperage I am running every is only about 110 amps, and even at 90 the A/C works good. But.....the stock 964 120 amp alternator only puts out about 30 amps at idle. This means the A/C has to back WAY off to not nuke your battery at a stop light. The big advantage of the Classic Retro alternator is your can have the A/C compressor really cranking, even at idle. In a hot and humid climate it makes a big difference.

I ran mine on the stock alternator and it worked well. If the car was heat soaked bad though (black car), and I got stuck at a long light (FLORIDA lights are LONG) the compressor with shut off to save the battery, and the car warmed up quick. Once the car was cooled off this was not really a problem. With the Classic Retro the A/C just keeps humming at basically full power.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #761 (permalink)

Thanks for the clarification. I ordered the high output alternator...it gets muggy up here in NE in the summer.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #762 (permalink)

Garage
Just wanted to post in here my guide and experience with the kit, for reference.

Duc Hunter's Electrocooler Experience
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #763 (permalink)

Garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #764 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
For those of you on the fence about the Electrocooler, I wanted to give another "in situ" experience with it over the last few days. I've just done my 6th Targa California in my 69 911. (2 in Mexico, 4 in CA proper). These are typically 1000+ mile road rallies with fantastic twisty, windy roads for 3-5 days. In my case, I have to drive about 4 hours to the meetup (North of LA) from San Diego on the highway, and usually some bumper to bumper traffic. It is LA after all. Then, it's 3-5 days of ripping around with 100 other vintage cars, and a 5-6 hour drive home on the highway.

This year, we had ambient temps of around 90-93 degrees F. I have one single vent in my car, replacing the (non functional, in my case) clock.

The ENTIRE trip, I had my windows up and my A/C cranking, and I was completely comfortable. I watched people get out of their cars at the end of the day sweaty, exhausted, and heat-soaked from head to toe. I didn't have that experience at ALL. It was great. Some benefits that you might overlook:

1. You don't get out of the car with swamp-ass and a soaked back.
2. You can actually have conversations with a passenger on the highway, because your windows are up. You can listen to music or an audiobook on the highway for the same reason.
3. Your girlfriend/wife/other will actually ride in the car with you for an extended period of time. (That may or may not be a plus, depending on your relationship)
4. You can exit your car refreshed, instead of exhausted.

Now granted...it's expensive. But for a group of people that are used to buying wheels or brakes for $5k, it's not completely out of the question. For people that are on the fence, I'm a hard "yes" if I do another build. No brainer.

If you are considering an install, I did a 5 part series on YouTube documenting mine. http://rennch.com/youtube if you want to subscribe and/or check it out.
Rennch Youtube Channel: http://rennch.com/Youtube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_rennch_/
Old 06-12-2019, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #765 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
One more thing...I have a 993 engine in my car, with the stock alternator. You definitely need a beefy alternator for this one.
Rennch Youtube Channel: http://rennch.com/Youtube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_rennch_/
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #766 (permalink)

Great information Michael, thanks for posting. One of these kits will be going in my car this winter.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #767 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
. . .

1. You don't get out of the car with swamp-ass and a soaked back.
2. You can actually have conversations with a passenger on the highway, because your windows are up. You can listen to music or an audiobook on the highway for the same reason.
3. Your girlfriend/wife/other will actually ride in the car with you for an extended period of time. (That may or may not be a plus, depending on your relationship)
4. You can exit your car refreshed, instead of exhausted.

. . .
These funny, but true, reasons apply to any high functioning a/c in a 911, regardless of which system is used, and are examples of why I consider my super-duty a/c build to be the best modification I have done to my Turbo (and I have done many) - all other mods would be useless to me for all but about three months of the year here in Ft. Worth TexASS, as since I primarily work in the burnass climate here, the last thing I want to do is burnass going to and from work (or going anywhere in a car, for that matter).
Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #768 (permalink)

Garage
This is a perfect part for this system.

Kool'n Duct - 911 Under dash duct for better air flow

Scott
Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #769 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria911 View Post
This is a perfect part for this system.

Kool'n Duct - 911 Under dash duct for better air flow

Scott
Unfortunately it isn't because of the way we use the footwell ducts.

In the original Porsche design, the duct is split into two halves - there is a divider in the centre. The part nearest the front of the car is for cold air and the nearest the driver is for hot air. The two come out and get mixed in the footwell.

In our design, we use the hot side of the duct to pull air out of the cabin. The cold side is used to push AC cold out. You have to split the cold away from the inlet otherwise the cold air will just be sucked up into the inlet and not reach the driver. The reason we did this is to achieve recirculation without having to cut the bodyshell.

In our manual we show the simple 'snorkel' modification starting on page 26 (manual here).

One of our customers, Stefan (PP username austria3) has come up with a tidy solution and has 3d print files available. Thanks Stefan!

Here is his solution, see how the cold air is kept separate from the inlet?

Stefan's original post is here:

Classic Retrofit Electrocooler installation report
Old 07-04-2019, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #770 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny,
Yes I now see what you mean. I'll use the new redirect vent for now until I can buy your system.
But looking at your picture of the hose shaped into a D and pushed up in the half closest to the boot of the car, you have the hose bent and zip tied directly over the D vent hole that you say needs to suck AC air out of the cabin.
This recommendation doesn't make sense then.
You show a designe of a superior product that Stephan made that clearly leaves the front D vent unblocked.
Recommendation: have Stephan's product as part of your AC system.

Vr,
Scott
Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #771 (permalink)

^ The duct doesn’t block the inlet in reality. I agree that it looks that way in the photo!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #772 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny... when charging system, is it a refrigerant weight or system pressure based fill?

BTW, impressive to see that you & team have hung in there through surly a number of high-g learning curves---suppliers surly being worst of it. Am glad to see CR getting on with it!

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #773 (permalink)

Thanks Karl. Anyone who has tried their hand at product design and manufacture will know that it never quite gets to the ‘turn the handle’ stage! There is always something to catch you out.

We recommend our system is filled by weight. Electric compressors generally don’t run big high side pressures which can lead to overfilling. Typical fill weight is 550 to 580g (~10 oz) of R134A.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #774 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Thanks Karl. Anyone who has tried their hand at product design and manufacture will know that it never quite gets to the ‘turn the handle’ stage! There is always something to catch you out.

We recommend our system is filled by weight. Electric compressors generally don’t run big high side pressures which can lead to overfilling. Typical fill weight is 550 to 580g (~10 oz) of R134A.
Thanks Jonny.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #775 (permalink)

Garage
I hope to be installing one this coming winter/spring for the 2020 summer driving!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #776 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny,
I have a 1970 911T. What is required to swap,out ..say alternator or other electrical stock part for your system to operate correctly?

Scott
Old 07-05-2019, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #777 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria911 View Post
Jonny,
I have a 1970 911T. What is required to swap,out ..say alternator or other electrical stock part for your system to operate correctly?

Scott
Hi Scott. You’ll need the ac kit and the alternator. You don’t need the alternator adapter rings. If you have battery boxes, then the condenser can go in the rear fender.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #778 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Today I received a package of these 3D printed footwell snorkels from Stefan. They are nicely designed and work really well. With his permission, I've put the STL design files up on our website here:

https://www.classicretrofit.com/pages/manuals-and-software

Thanks Stefan!
Old Today, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #779 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: