Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Ah poop :-(

Yeah, too bad. That tint works fantastic to help stop solar heating in the car. It's not perfect, but it does block some of the solar energy and it's barely visible.

To help combat heat while driving on the highway in a point A to point B kind of kind of thing rather than frolicking on the twisties, I've found another thing that helps immensely in my no operational A/C car. I took one of those big-ass RV sun blocker shades that you throw in the windshield when parked and cut it to fit the rear window glass. Then I took a couple suction cups from an old radar detector mount and attached them to one side. When I jam the one side in between the rear glass and speaker shelf and stick the suction cups to the top of the window, it blocks the sun beating down into the car through the huge horizontal rear window. Doing that makes even more of an impact than all of the glass (except the windshield) being tinted with the Llumar film. Because it completely blocks actually seeing out the window, I don't use it around the city or on sporting drives, but it works great on those long trips where visibility directly behind you isn't as much of a requirement. Plus, it looks kinda trashy...

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG

Crazy me used this on the Highway to Hell
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 07-28-2016, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Dammit Ahab, you are getting some of us all excited about finding the white whale of 911 cooling. I just hope I don't have to sell the Pequod to afford it.
ayyye he be a mythical beast but I've seen ye with me own eyes
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
^^^ :d
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

I think there is windshield film on the market that doesn't have the same visibility problems as that Air 80 stuff. My brother had some put on the windshield of his endurance race car, and he and his teammates say it helped tremendously to cut down on the heat and glare and no mention of the problems discussed in that linked, three year old thread. I'll have to look into what it is and what all is available.

^^^

***thread jack***

Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

I've posted this here before. I've always wanted to find a Yugo and take out the electric A/C and toy with it to see if I could adapt that concept to my own car. Never found one.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
Not only will it easily out perform the asthmatic, waft of warm air found with all mechanical air cooled Porsche systems it brings performance benefits too. Weight saved on the car and the weight moved forward. Also don't forget that old school, minimalist look instead of the lump of 60's AC technology that haunt the engine bay of a good comfort hot rod build.
The electric a/c project is definitly interesting and sounds promising, but to say that all mechanical air cooled Porsche systems perform so poorly as you describe above is not accurate; even early stock and dealer installed systems from the 70s and 80s work well if maintained and serviced properly, and if they are not used in hot climates. And of course, if modified (still a mechanical system, however), they can be built to hang icicles on all your parts, even in the hottest climates.

Oh, and the only a/c components visible in the engine bay of my car are a rotary compressor (not sure if that is 60's tech - maybe so), a high/low pressure switch, and two sections of hose - hardly a detractor appearance wise (plus, the tasty, old school, Garretson intercooler gets all the visual attention anyway).

The weight savings would be good, but not at the expense of lesser performance (not saying J's system will be lesser when completely developed - just a general observation similar to what I tell that Reid/Kellogs guy when he starts boasting about his revolutionary a/c gear - less parts, weighs less, but doesn't perform any better than what's currently in use), and not much concern for those of us with turbo powaaa' anyway (aka -don't even notice the added weight when the bang peddle is depressed).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 07-28-2016 at 04:32 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Cars Ruined My Life

i think this is a good idea for mild climates. Would love to see it work in hot places. I mean in Europe, when it is 95F people die in mass. Here, we go out to enjoy nice weather...
Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

No doubt - if the high is "only" 95 here, the weather people start crowing about "a cold front" - pretty funny!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

Classic Retrofit: Lightweight Electric Air Conditioning

The 3M on my BMW's windshield blocks insane amount of heat. You get what you pay for I suppose. I forgot what it's called but it's clear and I got it installed a few years ago right when 3M released it into the wild. It really works and it does not have any weird discoloration etc. looks like stock windshield glass. Yes it's pricey. Yes it's worth it.

I'd like to have it installed on my 911. If it had a tint, I'd do it on all windows but this stuff has no colored tint -- I like my privacy with a lil tint. Oh well. Maybe they'll make a tinted version in 35% or 20% someday.

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled thread topic ...
----------------------------

Last edited by Koizumi; 07-29-2016 at 12:24 AM..
Old 07-29-2016, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

3M Crystalline
It's on my to do list.
It is offered in clear. I will do the windshield and side windows of my black cab.

Auto manufacturing parts, materials, supplies

"Solar heat comes from two primary sources, the visible light you can see and the infrared light you can feel. Crystalline window films reject up to 97% of the sun's heat producing infrared light and block up to 60% of the heat coming through your windows. These industry-leading, spectrally-selective films are designed to keep you cool, comfortable and protected."
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Very interesting.

I can hear a thousand 944 dashboards crying out in unison...
Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
When the system is installed, would it be possible to hook-up the blower to some early 911 under the dash vents?

Scott

Old 07-29-2016, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

+1. I've got those vents already in my car, and am trying to figure out an A/C solution that doesn't have a belt-driven compressor cluttering up the engine bay.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Been trying to get hold of the OP....no joy. Anyone had a return to inquiries, prices, etc?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Hi All,

Sorry if we missed a few emails but we got rather snowed under with them!

Testing is going well but we are not having a great summer here in the UK. We are looking to get out to LA, Singapore and yes, perhaps Texas for some field trials soon.

At this stage we are fairly confident that we can make the 911 a much more comfortable place to be in hot weather, but there will be some compromises. We are not attempting to freeze ice cubes, we just want comfortable.

We are currently designing our smart controller which will take car of all the power management and climate control functions.

Until we have finished the R&D, it is hard for us to give a price. What I can say is that it will cost more than a conventional system but it will be much easier to install and will not involve cutting any holes in the bodyshell.

We are also hoping to get the entire system weight down to around 10kg (30lbs). This is the same weight as a full washer bottle on an impact bumper car. As we remove that bottle to fit the condenser, you could say our system only adds the same weight as a replacement washer bottle!

If you have one of our fuse panels or CDI+ boxes or read my posts, you will know that our focus is always on quality, testing and data.

So, expect to wait a little while and then we will post up more results.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Come to Austin! We can show you what real summer heat feels like. You've got about a month or two left though, before it gets back to normal, so hurry! Or, send me a prototype and I'll do some testing for ya!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
Come to Austin! We can show you what real summer heat feels like. You've got about a month or two left though, before it gets back to normal, so hurry!
It's only a month or two until November down yer way?!?! You southern TexAsses are lucky!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
At this stage we are fairly confident that we can make the 911 a much more comfortable place to be in hot weather, but there will be some compromises. We are not attempting to freeze ice cubes, we just want comfortable.
How, good sir, do you define "comfortable"?

To make a 911 interior comfortable in upper 90s and high humidity (talking cabin temps in the mid to low 70s or below), and quickly, you will need vent temps in the mid-to-upper 30s a the very least in those ambient temps - the colder the better though, as that speeds up the cool down process and means the compressor does not have to work as much from that point forward (until the next heat soak, that is).

Hope you don't mind the friendly stick poking - neat to see someone try an alternative solution to 911 a/c, and will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the high functioning gear that is already available.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
The other thing to address a faster cool down would be the evaporator fan. My 13 year old 540's AC fan can push you back against the seat on high. That black on black car quickly cools down the largish sedan cabin. On the other hand, my 930's (brand new) Bosch evaporator fan- even with the improved center outlets in the dash- just doesn't move as much air as it sounds like it's doing. My vent temps with extra fender condensers can go low 30s and can get the cabin downright cold, but I wish my fan moved 50% more air.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: