Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Torsion bar upgrade?

Is it ok to upgrade the front now and the rear later? Or, do they have to be done at the same time? Pro's / Cons?

Thank you

Old 07-15-2016, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
It will throw off the balance, but the car will not explode or anything. Cons would be paying for an alignment twice.

Last edited by gtc; 07-15-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you

for responding. It is probably better that I wait until I can do both front and back.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
it will throw off the balance, but the car will not explode or anything. Cons would be paying for an alignment twice.
+1
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 07-15-2016, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Agree with this, but it also depends on how drastic a change you are going to make. A while ago, I had ordered some rear 28 mm plated and hollow torsion bars from ER to replace the stock 25s, completely oblivious to the fact that it would screw up my handling if I left the front stock at 18.8. Before processing my order, Chuck was decent enough to call me and explain that I shouldn't go above 26mm in the back without upgrading the front. I was very impressed by this level of customer service. I ended up deciding just to wait until such a time as I could do both. Anyway, Chuck is a great resource for the right combos to keep the car balanced.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would recommend waiting until you can do the rears or do the rears first.

I changed to 22mm front thinking I was doing a good thing. My very first drive, I spun the car on a on ramp that I previously had driven aggressively many times. It caught me off guard.

When I wrote about it on the forum, it was explained that the stiffness allowed me to go faster around the curve but when I got to a point that the car couldn't take the speed, I let off the gas and that caused instant extreme over steer. I'm not 100% sure I understand this but maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 07-15-2016, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you're trying to spread the cost out, just get them and sit on them for a while. Or, be patient for uses. Suspension is a slippery slope. You'll decide you want new bushings, then new brake lines, now the a-arms look like crap so powder coat those. Might as well yellow zinc plate everything while it's off. Etc. ;-)

Todd
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you all for your replies

I will definitely wait until I can get both Front and Rear done.

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
suspension , torsion bar , upgrade