Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Anyone ever relocate fuel filter - under car

I've been struggling with the mounting of my fuel filter. I've converted to PMO, efi and so the old CIS fuel filter/damper setup is mostly gone.

My original plan was to find a new bracket for the fuel filter and mount in the area of the engine compartment. However, in the process, I also switched to the larger Carrera fuel filter which won't fit in the '74 fuel filter bracket. I acquired several different brackets and found a bracket that will work - but will need to drill holes for mounting (I hate drilling holes in my car).

I was thinking that maybe I could mount the fuel filter under the car where the '74 fuel pump is normally located. My fuel pump has been relocated to the front (like the later cars), and so the area where the fuel pump is normally mounted is available.

Has anyone done this? I'm looking for ideas for perfect, stealth mounting and keeping the engine compartment as clean as possible. I figure this is ok to do since most cars have the fuel filter located under the car somewhere. Any thoughts?
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-03-2016, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My $.0.02 - why can't you adapt either the new bracket or the car mount points so you don't have to drill the car? I totally get that you want a clean engine compartment. I change my fuel filter annually tho and am glad its within easy reach. I hate working under the car when it comes to fuel related items. I like to know I can get out quickly if there is a problem.

If you have a lift, I don't see an issue with it going underneath. I assume you will protect it somehow.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCamber00 View Post
My $.0.02 - why can't you adapt either the new bracket or the car mount points so you don't have to drill the car? I totally get that you want a clean engine compartment. I change my fuel filter annually tho and am glad its within easy reach. I hate working under the car when it comes to fuel related items. I like to know I can get out quickly if there is a problem.

If you have a lift, I don't see an issue with it going underneath. I assume you will protect it somehow.
The '74 911 has a bracket welded on by the factory for mounting the fuel pump on the driverside sub-frame (just in front of the rear shock). My problem with the stock fuel filter location is that I wanted to use the later Carrera fuel filter, which is much larger in diameter than the '74's. As a result, the filter won't fit into my '74 bracket. When I purchased the later bracket, it won't line up with the existing holes for mounting, hence the need to re-drill holes.

In my case, because of the PMO setup, I have to re-configure fuel lines, etc.. and I thought that the easiest and cleanest setup would be to move the filter. My real question was: are there any negatives of having the filter under the car (other than access). I have no problem getting under the car to change.

I've gone to a lot of work with this install to keep it clean (i.e., 964 charcoal canister under passenger fender, creating a custom and perfectly hidden wire harness for all the additional engine sensors, etc..). This just seemed like the perfect and easy solution for the fuel filter and keep the engine compartment clean at the same time.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There is a lot of heat in that original rear pump location. I agree with OffCamber that it would be better to adapt the later model filter to the original mount points, either by re-drilling the mount or making an adapter. You could also make a new bracket.
Although my application is slightly different, this is one that I made to mount a Racor filter and Holley FPR using the original filter/accumulator mount points in my 73. You can see in the last picture that the pressure gauge moved during the final install, but the mount has never changed.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrantz View Post
There is a lot of heat in that original rear pump location.
I originally agreed with this but now that I think about this, the reason I moved the pump to the front is not because of heat issues but because the pump works better pushing fuel rather than pulling fuel.

Tonight I took a closer look at this under-car location and I do not think it will be effected by heat (at least not any more than the engine compartment). The location is just above the rear sway bar and the bracket is welded to the torsion bar tube. This is at least 1.5 feet from the heat exchangers and upwind.

Below are some photos of the location I'm thinking of: The filter is just sitting in place and would be strapped into place securely.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Functionista

Considered taking the 74 bracket to welding shop and having it modified to fit larger filter?
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Is there a way to mount it near the fuel pump? You copied the later car's position for it, if it's there, you could protect it with the underbody steel cover.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
PO, did you ever finalize a solution for this? i'm similarly revising the fueling on my car and, like you, don't want superfluous bits in my engine bay.
TIA
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I went with 2 aftermarket filters in series, with AN fittings on each. One is a 100 micron and the other is a 10 micron. You can take them apart and clean them whenever. Much easier and smaller than the factory equipment...

I think one is an Earls and one is a Fragola, each was around $30. Having a single one is probably plenty...

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
I originally agreed with this but now that I think about this, the reason I moved the pump to the front is not because of heat issues but because the pump works better pushing fuel rather than pulling fuel.

Tonight I took a closer look at this under-car location and I do not think it will be effected by heat (at least not any more than the engine compartment). The location is just above the rear sway bar and the bracket is welded to the torsion bar tube. This is at least 1.5 feet from the heat exchangers and upwind.

Below are some photos of the location I'm thinking of: The filter is just sitting in place and would be strapped into place securely.

The "044" style pump is a diaphragm pump, it work best when pushing, creating NPSH is not what a diaphragm pump does well especially when +1G of acceleration is occurring. Add a fine micron filter before pump and one more in rear (somewhere)with less micron rating to act as an accumulator for max flow rate needs at WOT.

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I picked a mustang fuel filter for that under car location
Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Two pcars with relocated fuel pumps next to the tank.

Early 911 with factory EFI pump on Al crossmember. Pump atttached to crossmember via a factory fuel pump bracket. All below tank level. Pump works better pushing. The large factory filter is in the engine compartment.

914 with a low-pressure (3-5 psi) Airtex pump. The pump is hose-clamped to the steel 911 crossmember using a split length of radiator hose to minimize the transfer of fuel pump noise. A ball valve and 60 micron see-thru filter are mounted upstream of the pump. I may eventually relocate this assembly to the trunk area for more convenient access, inspection and maintenance. A trunk mounted pump will remain even with or below tank level.

An aftermarket OEM filter (Champion G481) is near the carbs. The low-buck FPR has since been deleted and a section of insulation material added between the hot oil line and filter. In fact, that entire oil thermostat assy. heats up cooling air and should be isolated from the engine compartment space. Also have to block off those hot air openings in the engine surround. Thus far, there's enough cooling margin to not push the limits of engine cooling. Sigh. Too many projects.

Sherwood
Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

For anyone who may want to insert a factory filter in-line at a new location, here is my "Direct Connect" adapter ........

(Sorry, but I don't know how to correct this sideways photo)

It is also used to eliminate the CIS Fuel Accumulator on a 80-83 911SC and connect the Feed Hardline "Directly" to the Filter.

Can also be used to connect a Metric Fuel Hose to another component.........

It is made in small quantities and is not cheap but it simplifies the fuel system layout.

For info, please email me. NO pm's answered, ONLY emails.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 02-17-2018 at 04:56 AM..
Old 02-17-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Vern... great idea to relocate FF.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930
Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I also have these adapters.........

They are M14 x 1.5 x 1/4 NPT when using components like the Racor Filter (above) or other aftermarket components with a stock Metric system. For info please email me.

len dot cummings at verizon dot net

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 04-02-2018 at 05:14 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Well, look at that, its my engine bay!

Here is another pic after I finished my lines. Len's adapter is a big help if adapting to stock hardlines. He'll also be happy to make you custom hoses for whatever else you mght want to do. In my case I'm using two of his adapters, one from hardline to filter and another on the return line after the FPR (this is an EFI conversion.)

Old 02-18-2018, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Vern-

I know you were thinking of doing this a while back.

Can you post the results? I have someone who wants to do something similar.

Len

Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: