Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
First fully intact o-ringer (from condenso.) Dedicating this fine-ding to brother Rawnuckles (for his first post on material potentially being piston rings.)

Wait wait wait...that is at the entrance to your fenderwell condenser?

Does that mean it actually made it completely through the decklid condenser??? That surprises me, I didn't think it could get past those tight curves.

Fortunately for you, it's very unlikely anything made it through the fenderwell condenser, since it's serpentine, too small to pass the piston ring pieces.

You might even be able to collect the pieces, and put together the 3 or 4 complete rings, to verify that you have all of the pieces parts.

Have you examined the compressor enough to see how many rings you have lost?

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 08-16-2016, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuehl View Post
You can find plenty of in-line ac filters out there: with barbs, with standard fittings, o-ring, or flare, male or female. In case you wondered what I suggested was for a line size 8.

But, as I said.... never used one in 20 plus years and thousands of stock or advanced systems.

What we do recommend with any questionable compressor or anything over 50k miles (old compressors in that context) is you open them up and inspect the bores, pistons, wobble plate and reeds.

I'd recommend for any reader whom is new to the AC subject or this forum is go back and read Karl's My AC Burns me up, parts 1 and 2,
there is tons of information discussing not only this issue, but system trouble shooting as well.

Sorry if this is a hijack. I have an 89 3.2 and I'm planning a big first retirement project to redo the AC to R134. It seems the compressor could be ok but as you mention it should be inspected. I don't really want to take it apart and inspect myself - can I send it to you and get it inspected? Maybe it makes more sense to just get a new 507? Will the new compressor bolt to the bracket I have now? Please comment. I have the same question for the condensers and evaporator. Check/flush or get new? I'll try attaching a picture of my current compressor - as far as I know it is original and was working somewhat in 2006 but not used after that - I disconnected the wire and took the belt off. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Wait wait wait...that is at the entrance to your fenderwell condenser?

Does that mean it actually made it completely through the decklid condenser??? That surprises me, I didn't think it could get past those tight curves.

Fortunately for you, it's very unlikely anything made it through the fenderwell condenser, since it's serpentine, too small to pass the piston ring pieces.

You might even be able to collect the pieces, and put together the 3 or 4 complete rings, to verify that you have all of the pieces parts.

Have you examined the compressor enough to see how many rings you have lost?
Per Glen's coin... "aliens" did indeed make it past condenso #1 to the intake of #2 (fender wall unit.) Have done rough flush on #1 (rear lid) just to get chunks out. Were only a few small pebble bits along with a good deal of fine grain metal flakes. Will post all condenso & evap flush pics at same time later on.

Puttin ring-bits back together... forensics. Clever. I did save it all. Not sure I want to be sorting through that---but good idea. My guesstimate is 2 and a 1/4 rings have been collected sofar. I've not taken comp apart any further than the head and reed plate. Am going to rely on complex back-flush program to get all the chit out of hardware---large and small.

Know some propose the newer style---think they're called parallel-flow---condensers cannot be back-flushed due to their small diameter passages. Am not a big fan of throwing parts out without first confirming their demise so gona take a stab at salvaging.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
Coler... that's only potential hyjack. No worries.

Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
Just measured the anaconda... How many feet of rubber do you think 3 condenser system drives around? (Answer's below pic.)

45' 6" including fittings.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
Karl
Hose......
Length, 500" nominal.
Volume, 62 cubic inches nominal
Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entondy View Post
Also, are there any historical threads where Karl had issues with his AC?
Have you read this thread thoroughly?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuehl View Post
Have you read this thread thoroughly?
no, because he is a spammer
Old 08-16-2016, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for using the eraser Bill.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Banned

Send me a fifth of Tanqueray, 2 cases of Becks and we'll work this out.[img]httages/20.gif[/imgimg]httpages/2.gif[/img
[img]http://oges/1.gif[/img

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 08-17-2016 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: spam removal
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Multiple chems… vibration… dancing girls… rumcocktails… slipknot playing in background. OK... may or may not work… Seems worth a try before spending $1800.
Karl, skip ahead on your list to "Slipknot playing . . .", butt rather "in the background" take your evaporator and condensers and place them directly on a speaker with this track hammering away - instant internal cleanage, my friend (probably instant eviction from yer living quarters, too!!!)!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 08-16-2016 at 11:12 PM..
Old 08-16-2016, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Damm fine ideas piling up here Rono!

(Thinking of Willard... not the same volatile AC threads without you, Bob, Charlie, Silber and him go'in at it. Not pleased that anyone should be banned but clearly... the acid rain has passed. Makes for a much better vibe IMHO.)

Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Garage
Karl,

This is a very readable thread without whatzhizname
Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yea, I miss ol whatzhizname like a toothache. He was like hitting your head against the wall. It feels so good when it stops.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Yea, I miss ol whatzhizname like a toothache. He was like hitting your head against the wall. It feels so good when it stops.
Although...he was a big proponent of the fact that Karl might have debris running through his system as a cause of the vacuum gauge flutter...

Old 08-17-2016, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Although...he was a big proponent of the fact that Karl might have debris running through his system as a cause of the vacuum gauge flutter...
Yeah... WW was fixated on contamination (referring to 2014 thread.) Believe that originated from swab I took of one of the ports... it was grey colored. I also noted inside of R/D (that I cut in half) was coated with an oily soot. BUT... system oil inspected from evap and compressor was spotless. On that basis, compressor was deemed in good order.

Looking back on high side gauge flutter, I was thinking now that it may have been from o-ring piece jammed in a reed---so comp was bad back then. This theory makes no sense though. For o-ring material to escape position on a piston, it would require significant internal compressor damage... which would have shown in the oil. This is 2014 oil drained from evap. Comp oil looked the same.

Another non-air flutter possibility is a reed may not have been seating correctly (unrelated to piston rings being jammed in them)---not sure if that would cause flutter... just attempting to mentally sort it. This is worst deformation. Another reed is similar. Perhaps they were damaged on original assembly or subsequent reassembly. Supposedly comp was new when I got it---but that is questionable.

Will be interesting to see if flutter persists with new comp. I can't imagine it will.... but remain open until proof tells otherwise. Perhaps I am an AIR INJECTION idiot. With number and type of evacs & charges I did back then... I'd like to think I'm not a LEAKER. We'll see.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Flushfactory---for removed condensers & evap---being assembled today.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
Just my opinion..could be the system was over-charged with refrigerant. What happens is liquid refrigerant gets to the compressor rather than gas..and liquid will not compress. In the trade it is called "slugging" and will damage the compressor.

This "slugging" condition causes the compressor to over-heat or lock-up. Over-heated compressors will blacken the internals. The blown out piston rings and a damaged center ball back inside the compressor are likely seen too.

Last edited by db_cooper; 08-18-2016 at 06:28 AM..
Old 08-18-2016, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Garage
System was not overcharged with refrigerant initially and probably not later.
The low side pressures readings noted were acceptable evap core temperature;
gas was getting back to the compressor, not liquid. The TEV would have to be enlarged beyond its normal aperture for liquid not to flash off in the evap core.
And, I don't recall any significant periods of time Disc ran the system with excessive low side pressures.

Unless.... by error, someone at one time charged by liquid through the low side of the compressor, which 'could' bend a reed, however I don't recall Dr Disc doing that.

The bent reed probably did not come like that when the compressor was new.
Depending upon which way the reed was bent, or if there are a set of reeds (more common with swash plate denso rather than wobble plate sanden designs) you might guess what smacked it. However the whole reed, whole contamination issue, is behind him.

The dirty swab of the drier port is normal on a system that old. There were no significant fines or debris in the 200 page thread.

Time to move on Disc, new parts or parts you can be 100% sure are clean.
As far as the gauge flutter, which can be caused by air more often than a reed Disc... did you attempt to use a different gauge someone loaned you, a glycerine filled unit, and was there a difference in flutter?

If you reed the history, he updated his system years back with a compressor that had been previously used. Then there was 200 pages of charges and a later seal replacement.
The patient (compressor) simply died on the table due to too many procedures.

Time to move on Disc, new parts or parts you can be 100% sure are clean.

Last edited by kuehl; 08-18-2016 at 06:58 AM..
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Karl, the spammers LOVE your thread! Like bees to honey, they know this is the place to be...

Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: