Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Another Hot Rod Build

Well back in the garage to start another build, this one belongs to a friend and will not get taken as far as the last one but it should come out pretty nice

Going after an IROC short hood style theme based on an 84 M491 car this one with 88K miles. Going to stay the same Guards Red color, but will be deleting sunroof. Keeping the AC and a lot of new suspension goodies, BIG Brembo brakes and 17"Braid wheels, let' get started, well lets pickup here as it got started a bit ago….

Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Subscribed. Looking forward to more....
Johan
Old 08-31-2016, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwon View Post
subscribed. Looking forward to more....
Johan
+1
Old 08-31-2016, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Starting to think you really hate M491s..
: )
Old 08-31-2016, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I don't hate them they just lend themselves to being hot rodded so nicely, besides this is a friend of mines so I am not the one pulling the trigger on it. I will just be throwing fuel on the fire
Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi guys..pretty new to this forum..looks pretty cool..well think i am gonna get bashed here..i have built 2 gt 40 replicas and a cobra..oops sorry and a lotus 7 and decided to try building a porsche replica..now dont laugh..got a 930 replica..looks the part..put a ford v6..engine up front..yes up front..propshaft to rear coupled to a alfa gtv 6 rear axle and gearbox with coilovers..real abortion..hey..well pretty balanced i suppose..just to keep me busy
Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by govenss View Post
Hi guys..pretty new to this forum..looks pretty cool..well think i am gonna get bashed here..i have built 2 gt 40 replicas and a cobra..oops sorry and a lotus 7 and decided to try building a porsche replica..now dont laugh..got a 930 replica..looks the part..put a ford v6..engine up front..yes up front..propshaft to rear coupled to a alfa gtv 6 rear axle and gearbox with coilovers..real abortion..hey..well pretty balanced i suppose..just to keep me busy
Any pictures? I don't care, not a purist at all, I wish I had a CAV or Superformance GT40
Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

now thats what i call a car entusiast..every car is special in its own way boet..will load some pics soon..
Old 08-31-2016, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn-hawn View Post
I don't care, not a purist at all, I wish I had a CAV or Superformance GT40
^^^ Hell, me too!!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

What the hell?? Where are you getting all these M491s??

Riddle me this...You sure about replacing the $5,000 930 monster calipers with Brembos? I can't imagine those things ever fading.

I always feared that, if my car didn't end up looking like an M491 anymore, that'd be the only thing that'd really verify it as one (beside Norbert's List).
Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I'd stick with the Turbo brakes and 15" RSR Fuchs or Braids. Not my car though and if you really want to drive it a lot it's wise to get some 17" wheels so you have a decent tire selection. Looking forward to following the build!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Subscribed!!

Always enjoy watching your work. Wish you were closer - I would volunteer my time on those builds.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to axvel
subscribed
Red/Cork Tan * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.2 * 915 * LSD * 930 Brakes * Elephant Racing Suspension * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins Sports * Steve Wong Pre-Muff * B&B EXhaust * SW Chip on 4K DME
PCA
Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Subscribed! It's nice to finally catch one of these at the beginning.

I'm curious, why did you choose Braid over another manufacturer, say Lindsey? In my search Braid came out the most expensive by far. Although they are entirely new wheels as opposed to old Fuchs welded in to new barrels.

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 911 Carrera
Old 09-15-2016, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post
Subscribed! It's nice to finally catch one of these at the beginning.

I'm curious, why did you choose Braid over another manufacturer, say Lindsey? In my search Braid came out the most expensive by far. Although they are entirely new wheels as opposed to old Fuchs welded in to new barrels.
Not sure what exactly swayed me to Braid. I had looked into custom wheels by HW too pricey and time frame did not work for me. I do not know if lindsey makes 15" wheels, they do make beautiful 17's though. I looked into Mr. Fiat also they were less expensive but offsets were set.

I am really happy that I went with Braid, Paul is very knowledgeable and helpful with the ordering process and a great guy to boot. They were made and delivered within 2 weeks to my spec, which was fast.

Anyways we just got back from Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix, what a beautiful top tier operation. James was great he took a couple hours out of his day to show us around his new location and just talk about his business and all things Porsche. We picked up paint, hardener, front and rear IROC bumpers, IROC tail, and a roll bar. Not only do they sell there own line of custom and specialized parts but he has an incredible amount of used factory parts and assemblies available

Our little stash of parts are in the bottom left corner of the last picture

www.davekealoha.com
follow me on instagram, flyin.hawaiin
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I just checked and Lindsey only makes 17", so I just got them mixed up with somebody else. I love the Braids though. They make great wheels and like I said earlier, you start with completely brand new wheels.

My dad met with somebody from Patrick Motorsports (my family is in PHX) and he only had great things to say about him. They were constantly offering to help at any level with any project my dad wanted to undertake.

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 911 Carrera
Old 09-15-2016, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Sunroof is welded in, washers holes next.

www.davekealoha.com
Old 09-21-2016, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Your last build was awesome. I'm sure this one will be even better.
My 1985 M491
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage

www.davekealoha.com

Last edited by flyn-hawn; 09-29-2016 at 08:54 PM..
Old 09-29-2016, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
A picture of the car before we started, very nice complete straight car.
Sunroof welded shut and primed
Getting the bumpers up on the body to get an idea on fit

www.davekealoha.com
Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: