Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Can't Find Ground

I have a 1987 Carrera. I have done a lot of research on this forum in trying to locate my ground points throughout the car. Several of the forum members spoke to a ground point behind the battery. For instance one member wrote: My 87 has 1 ground coming from neg. side of battery to the front fender. Pull the battery and its right there. Ground from battery might be 8 inches long. When I checked the ground, ohms, on injector connection, my meter was around 14k ohms."

I have pulled my battery and there is no ground point or wire. I have checked for this over and over. Can someone please direct me as I need to find all ground points to deal with a no-start issue

Also, does anyone have a picture of the various ground points. I have the diagram that shows the ground points it is simply an illustration and not a photo of the different grounds. I am not mechanically inclined and so I really need to be able to see what the ground points actually look like so I can check them

Thanks so much
Old 09-11-2016, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
non-whiner

Follow the negative (-) battery cable. What is it connected to?
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

My 87 has a ground to the inner fender, not the fender itself. If you can't locate where it terminates, it must have been modified AFAIK??
Old 09-11-2016, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Use common sense......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Follow the negative (-) battery cable. What is it connected to?

Follow the above suggestion or post a picture of your battery. Could you crank the starter?

Tony
Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
I have a 1987 Carrera. I have done a lot of research on this forum in trying to locate my ground points throughout the car. Several of the forum members spoke to a ground point behind the battery. For instance one member wrote: My 87 has 1 ground coming from neg. side of battery to the front fender. Pull the battery and its right there. Ground from battery might be 8 inches long. When I checked the ground, ohms, on injector connection, my meter was around 14k ohms."

I have pulled my battery and there is no ground point or wire. I have checked for this over and over. Can someone please direct me as I need to find all ground points to deal with a no-start issue

Also, does anyone have a picture of the various ground points. I have the diagram that shows the ground points it is simply an illustration and not a photo of the different grounds. I am not mechanically inclined and so I really need to be able to see what the ground points actually look like so I can check them

Thanks so much

^^^^^
Hope this helps.

Best,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My Odyssey PC925 install

Follow the ground cable, see last 2 pictures. Look under the mess of cables and windshield washers hoses.
2017 VW Golf TSI
Old 09-11-2016, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

non-whiner

Dude, that is your ground post.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-11-2016, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
M4reid & BFT3, as well as everyone else:

Thanks so much. I got it now---Like Duh!

Sorry for the crazy, stupid question---but like i said, I got it now
Old 09-11-2016, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Since we are on the subject of grounds, anyone know what/where points #13 (XIII) and #14 (XIV) are? Are they part of the taillights? I ask because I have an intermittent turnsignal indicator "weirdness".

Weirdness = Several times now, at night, with the lights on, my turnsignal indicators have been sort of illuminated all the time. They still flashed when I used the turnsignals (not sure of the turn signal lights them selves though). Last time, I drove 3 miles with this problem, stopped for gas, when I started the car again problem gone. My first step to try and address this problem is check all the ground points and fuse/fuse contact points. Car is a stock 1976 911S.

Thanks

Last edited by 93nav; 09-11-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
I had a brother in law so stupid he couldn't find the ground, either.....
Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: