Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sus911
To be honest Peter, I've had these flipped flange 993 HE's (by Ben) and one of his back boxes (2 in 1 out) in my cave for over 10 years!

There's many reasons why I haven't fitted them nor had the car registered for most of that time, including much fiddling with motorbikes. I've finally finished all of my bike projects and now have a wonderful amount of space in the cave and the car is now accessible.

Engine is now on the stand and tranny on a dolly. It's all been powerwashed and parts are now being sorted for media blasting, cad/zinc/plating & powder coating, including brake calipers.

I won't hiijak this thread anymore but hopefully in the coming months we'll have another opinion on the 993 HE, heater backdate project on an ROW 3.2.

Love that Oxley! I'm up that way at the moment with one of my bikes. I can't wait to run it in the Carrera!

Thanks Safe. My main concern is giving up that beautiful fat powerband for some top end without changing cams.

84 ROW Carrera (guards red), A/C delete, Fuchs 7 + 8 x 16, Koni Adj. F+R, sway bars 20F 22R. turbo tie rods, Strut brace, brake cooling kit, C/F Recaro GT3 copies.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sus911
Good score Shirish!
Look forward to hearing about your experience with them.

84 ROW Carrera (guards red), A/C delete, Fuchs 7 + 8 x 16, Koni Adj. F+R, sway bars 20F 22R. turbo tie rods, Strut brace, brake cooling kit, C/F Recaro GT3 copies.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus911 View Post
Good score Shirish!
Look forward to hearing about your experience with them.
Thanks Phill, i hope they work out - will keep the thread updated.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_cs View Post
Hello Peter - I recall on another thread we were discussing the F-Modell Eisenmann SSI (1.625”), which I was thinking would use SSI inlet spacing and would not need their specific muffler on my 87 with backdated heat. You were encouraging me to buy a set and well, I came across an unused set here in the UK so I can prove this for myself.
Ahhhh, Shirish,

Yes, I forgot about that conversation! I did actually did check out the price for the F model heat exchangers only and recall they weren't much cheaper than the full system. The cost and the fact that I couldn't see how they would neatly integrate with the 3.2 heater air supply scared me off.

Great luck with picking up a pair at a good price and I do look forward to seeing your results.

I know I am banging on about the hot air ducting in particular but I want my build to be low key looking and with only the observant noticing the subtle changes.

Last edited by Peter M; 09-08-2018 at 04:09 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus911 View Post
To be honest Peter, I've had these flipped flange 993 HE's (by Ben) and one of his back boxes (2 in 1 out) in my cave for over 10 years!
Phil,
I reckon bolt them on after your engine is detailed, give them a run on a dyno to check the AFR and if that's OK, don't look back, just drive it!

If the AFR is out, at least you have something to inform Steve Wong of the changes you need.

I can't see any sense in you using anything else than what you have already.

PS: I can't wait to get my Carrera on the Oxley either!
Old 09-08-2018, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Ahhhh, Shirish,

Yes, I forgot about that conversation! I did actually did check out the price for the F model heat exchangers only and recall they weren't much cheaper than the full system. The cost and the fact that I couldn't see how they would neatly integrate with the 3.2 heater air supply scared me off.

Great luck with picking up a pair at a good price and I do look forward to seeing your results.

I know I am banging on about the hot air ducting in particular but I want my build to be low key looking and with only the observant noticing the subtle changes.
Yes, the person I bought it off had the same concerns so he bought a full G Modell Eisenmann setup including silencer and sold me his F Modell setup. I think the G Modell h/ex plus silencer/muffler is £2400 delivered.

Please post pics of yours as and when fitted, I’m keen to see pics.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Please post pics of yours as and when fitted, I’m keen to see pics.
Will do Shirish!

Mines all fitted up but I'm about 3 weeks or so away from seeing it again as it's waiting at the tuners to have a Motec M130 fitted and I now live about 400km away.

I will have a dyno chart by then too and am keen to compare how our respective engine builds compare, especially finding how much I've left on the shelf by keeping the standard 3.2 intake manifold!

Regards
Peter
Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)

Shirish have a word with Andy Young on IB. He has just had a full set with the bespoke silencer fitted by Rob at Racing Restorations. Apparently Rob wasn’t impressed with the ease of fitting, lots of extra work. Seems there is a mid range improvement though.

Ian
Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Comerford View Post
Shirish have a word with Andy Young on IB. He has just had a full set with the bespoke silencer fitted by Rob at Racing Restorations. Apparently Rob wasn’t impressed with the ease of fitting, lots of extra work. Seems there is a mid range improvement though.

Ian
Yes Ian, I bought Andys ‘old’ Eisenmann setup. I’m hoping the F Modell will prove an easier fit. Is he happy with the sound?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes Ian, I bought Andys ‘old’ Eisenmann setup. I’m hoping the F Modell will prove an easier fit. Is he happy with the sound?
Not sure yet but we will see him early Thursday on the way to Angouleme for the Circuit des Remparts. Five days to get a feel for the new set up

Ian
Old 09-09-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)

Bigger "SSI" system

Hi all.
Here is my update on the Eisenmann exhaustsystem with 39mm internal diameter and «freeflow» 2 in 2x70mm out.
It did not give more than approx. 1 !! more wheelpower than the old Dansk system. So I set out to find out why. After some thinking and studying I saw that the right muffler outlet had a huge restrictor. A loooong funnel that has only 16!!!mm internal diameter. I knew that to had to go since my engine has RSR Sport cams. So after removing it the result was even 6 more wheelpower, in total 7 more wheelpower over the Dansk system. The engine now works great and has 245whp and 330Nm torque. I spoke with Eisenmann about this and they said that this system was made for an original spec 3.2 liter Carrera engine, thats why the funnel was there.
I am happy now and the sound is beyond cool
Here’s a pic of the funnel:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Litle brother; 09-12-2018 at 01:12 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)

How bizarre! Why would a standard 3.2 benefit from that funnel in the tail pipe?

Glad you have seen some improvements. Did you previously have the 35mm ID Dansk SSIs?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Litle brother, how tough to pull out that funnel? Any "grinding" or welding involved? Also, once you pulled it, has there been any drone added? One thing so great about the Eisenmann system is that there is no drone. I would hate to pull this and then find that I have screwed this up. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)

Quote:
How bizarre! Why would a standard 3.2 benefit from that funnel in the tail pipe?

Glad you have seen some improvements. Did you previously have the 35mm ID Dansk SSIs?
Appears to be another muffler (silencer) within the exhaust system. Dunno. Maybe just too loud in that particular system.

Sherwood
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)

Bigger "SSI" system

Quote:

Thanks
Hard to say why the 3.2 would benefit from that, but it has a much milder cam profile so I guess thats why.
Yes my old system was the 35ID Dansk "SSI’s".

Last edited by Litle brother; 09-13-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)

Bigger "SSI" system

Old 09-13-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
Hey Litle brother, how tough to pull out that funnel? Any "grinding" or welding involved? Also, once you pulled it, has there been any drone added? One thing so great about the Eisenmann system is that there is no drone. I would hate to pull this and then find that I have screwed this up. Thanks.

Hey Lyle.
I only had to grind of the welding on the end of the outlet tip. If you look at both the right and left you will see what I mean. Once the welding is grinded of the funnel comes out quite easy.
BUT, you WILL get some droning around 1600-2000 rpm. However. I am working on some perforated tipinserts to mend that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: