Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I was making almost 250 RWHP with a Steve Wong Chip and CAT bypass so the exhaust was not going to be significant unless I did something additional. I like the Eisenmann exhaust for just appearance but how much HP does it create>
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
John (owner of SSI) never made a 1.63"OD version of his exchangers. It would require complete retooling and a different size tubing. He bought stock in 12+ month supplies which allowed him to keep the prices dirt cheap. I visited his shop several times when he was looking to sell and we talked about expanding to the larger size for the Carrera market. Wasn't going to happen. I've looked at it many times myself and IMO the price point would be too high for the current market if keeping the quality at the same level that John did. Everything now is cheap Asian stainless and outsourced junk. SSI is no longer the company it used to be, which is very unfortunate.
Interesting, so can we confirm that these headers are German manufactured and that the Dansk SSI's are outsourced to somewhere in Asia of unknown quality stainless?

I had hoped the Dansk SSI's were manufactured with some effort towards craftsmanship in Europe that also looked out for the welfare of their workers to some degree, oh well...
Old 09-24-2016, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G450X View Post
Interesting, so can we confirm that these headers are German manufactured and that the Dansk SSI's are outsourced to somewhere in Asia of unknown quality stainless?

I had hoped the Dansk SSI's were manufactured with some effort towards craftsmanship in Europe that also looked out for the welfare of their workers to some degree, oh well...
I think you're jumping to a conclusion about the Dansk?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Getting back to the original question about those (supposedly) larger tube headers and the subsequent question of applicability to the 3.2 Carrara vs the 911SC: Do we have a confirmation that the headers in the link posted by the OP in the initial post have the larger, more desirable diameter tube diameters (than the original SSI/Dansk heat exchangers)?
Secondly, in light of Eisenmann replying to me that they don't make this stainless heat exchanger for the 84-89 3.2 Carrera, will those 911SC heat exchangers "fit" on the 84-89 3.2 Carrera with the exception of the (as I understand it) longer head studs of the latter and thicker flanges found on the SSI/Dansk heat exchangers made specifically for the 84-89 3.2 Carrera?
And lastly, assuming that the above are correct, would such a "thin flange" header nevertheless still work on the 84-89 3.2 Carrera with the (shadetree) use of stacked washers to take up the slack? And the barrel nuts can only go on as far as the stud is threaded! Alternatively, a more time consuming and difficult task, is removing those 84-89 3.2 Carrera head studs and substitution of shorter ones.
It would be worthwhile to get clear, actually experienced input on these issues rather than merely inexperienced opinions.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Reading my post again I see how it could be interpreted that way, but that is not what I meant.
Dansk never had the quality of SSI and still doesn't. SSI is gone.
Pretty much everything else is low quality.
It looks to me like the flanges are bored out to fit Carrera ports. The actual pipe ID looks smaller, like SC.
The thin flange exchangers should fit any engine/stud combo, however the flange and tube ID is important to performance. We use metal collars to take up the space on longer studs.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradocurt View Post
Getting back to the original question about those (supposedly) larger tube headers and the subsequent question of applicability to the 3.2 Carrara vs the 911SC: Do we have a confirmation that the headers in the link posted by the OP in the initial post have the larger, more desirable diameter tube diameters (than the original SSI/Dansk heat exchangers)?
Secondly, in light of Eisenmann replying to me that they don't make this stainless heat exchanger for the 84-89 3.2 Carrera, will those 911SC heat exchangers "fit" on the 84-89 3.2 Carrera with the exception of the (as I understand it) longer head studs of the latter and thicker flanges found on the SSI/Dansk heat exchangers made specifically for the 84-89 3.2 Carrera?
And lastly, assuming that the above are correct, would such a "thin flange" header nevertheless still work on the 84-89 3.2 Carrera with the (shadetree) use of stacked washers to take up the slack? And the barrel nuts can only go on as far as the stud is threaded! Alternatively, a more time consuming and difficult task, is removing those 84-89 3.2 Carrera head studs and substitution of shorter ones.
It would be worthwhile to get clear, actually experienced input on these issues rather than merely inexperienced opinions.
Eisenmann appears to have 2 sizes of SSI heat exchanger
38mm is the same size as the old US made SSI these are ~38mm OD/35mmID
42mm would be 42mmOD/39MM ID

either can be used on an 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera, the 42mm would be more appropriate for the 3.2. It appears that they don't make a 3.2 Carrera specific heat exchanger, the differences are the flanges and port extensions and O sensor bung all of which are easily managed to adapt an SC version to a Carrera or vice versa

They also appear to use spot welds on the stubs similar to what B&B does, rather than the fully welded joints seen on original SSI, this isn't a big deal but does allow for oil ingress into the cabin heat section
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Note the "042" stencil on the tubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_cs View Post
One more pic:
Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
... this isn't a big deal but does allow for oil ingress into the cabin heat section
I got this problem on real SSI where the 3 pipes "slip join" into the large chamber.

Engine is coming out to finally fix the elusive leak...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-26-2016, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
I got this problem on real SSI where the 3 pipes "slip join" into the large chamber...
Probably due to the temperature differential between the pipes and the larger chamber, and thereby different expansion rates.

Eisenmann got back to me confirming that their exhaust heat exchangers are made from 304 grade stainless.

And their products sell in the U.S. through-
Eisenmann North America
IND-Distribution
908 Donata Ct.
Lake Zurich IL 60047
P: 847.963.4520
F: 847.963.4521
E-Mail: info@ind-distribution.com
Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
... Eisenmann got back to me confirming that their exhaust heat exchangers are made from 304 grade stainless.
Short of seing the CoC along with the Furnace & Mill specs anybody can say anything.

Should it be supply by China or India, you better do you own testing.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-26-2016, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I sent them an e-mail and all they tell me is the size (inside diameter) of the final exhaust. We have a communication problem.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Probably due to the temperature differential between the pipes and the larger chamber, and thereby different expansion rates.

Eisenmann got back to me confirming that their exhaust heat exchangers are made from 304 grade stainless.

And their products sell in the U.S. through-
Eisenmann North America
IND-Distribution
908 Donata Ct.
Lake Zurich IL 60047
P: 847.963.4520
F: 847.963.4521
E-Mail: info@ind-distribution.com
Interesting, this is about a mile from my house. I just drove by this building this AM on my way to the post office. Is the Lake Zurich location just a distribution site, or do they manufacture there?

Roger
'12 VW CC VR6
'18 Mustang Eco PP
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Tony

Ok so you are saying there is a chance that these are 1.5" IDs? Wow now I'm really getting excited.
07 Cayman S (sold - not soon forgotten)
93 968 (sold)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
Ok so you are saying there is a chance that these are 1.5" IDs? Wow now I'm really getting excited.
i received confirmation above that they are 39mm ID, which is 1.5" give or take
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
39mm ID is the same size as the oe 993 headers
Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

My understanding is that the Illinois location is for U.S. distribution, not manufacture.
And the fellow I've been emailing with (at the home office in Germany) is Sven Johann, who I believe to be on the technical side of Eisenmann.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Yes, Sven is the one who confirmed ID details
Old 09-28-2016, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Tony

I'm surprised there isn't more activity on this thread from all the 3.2 owners that have been waiting for properly sized "SSI" like HEs. Outside of the flanges (seems easy enough to fix) this is the dream exhaust set-up!

What am I missing?
07 Cayman S (sold - not soon forgotten)
93 968 (sold)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Tony, I called the US distributor and discussed fitting these to a 3.2. I encouraged them to produce formal instructions for fitting to a 3.2 and address the welding around heat boxes.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I got a price quote from the US distributor of $2544 delivered, but I also told them that I'd be all over this if the thicker flanges were fitted.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: