Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
AirBorne!

subscribed
2008 997 C4S Silver, Kitty Cat, 1989 3.4 911 Silver Carrera, Erica, 1989 944S2 NASA GTS2, Iris, 1988 944 DE Car, Backdate 1970 3.0 PMO from a 1975S - Roxanne, 1970 911T widebody w 3.0 and megasquirt - sold to a great home to be reborne as a 911 ST, 1967 912 soon to become 912/6 with a 67s motor, 89 VW Cabriolet - 2.0 conversion - sold and missed
Old 03-08-2017, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
CARB legal in CA?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

hmm, I asked Eisenmann for a soundfile few times without success.
I really would like to install that system, but I am not willing to pay that price
without getting a idea how it sounds.

Falk
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
CARB legal in CA?
GTI Cup #43
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Tony

Will someone that is in regular contact with them please ask if they intend to make a simple version of the old school SSI like exhaust with 42mm primaries and thick flanges for Carrera 3.2s? They are not answering my emails 😡
07 Cayman S (sold - not soon forgotten)
93 968 (sold)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I couldn't help myself (header-junkie that I am), and I bought them. In the USA, you have to deal with iND Distribution, a performance system company in Illinois. I started working with Sven at Eisenmann, then Anthony at iND. Response and follow-up was great. I just received the header/heat exchangers; see the photos here. They are really beautiful. I couple of points:
The packaging they arrived in was the best I have ever seen. They were completely "mummy wrapped" in bubble material and then heavy boxed. Great job there.
They have the 42mm tubes. Very nicely done.
You can order any or all parts of the system (headers, CATs, and various muffler options). I am going to start by using my current 2/2 muffler (Dansk w/84mm outlets), so I just need the header/heat exchangers. I forgot, when I ordered originally, to include the connector pipes between the header and muffler. Original SSI didn't need these, because they didn't need a provision for CATs; these do. Eisenmann's system here for the 3.2 includes that option, so to delete CATs you need to include the connector pipes. I didn't realize this until the headers showed up (you can learn from my stupidity).
The heat exchanger connections, and all the dimensions, are compatible with the 3.2. However, if you don't already have the old style oil cross-over pipe, you need to order that also (I didn't need it).
The flanges are actually "thin", though, so you will need to use more standard nuts on the exhaust port studs (not the barrel nuts). No big deal.

I have not fitted these up to my car yet, so I cannot comment about that. I have to wait a couple of weeks for the connector tubes.

No doubt these are pricy, but I want to have a more "authentic" system, and the larger pipes should work much better with my 3.4L motor. Once everything is mounted I will take it to a dyno and get some data to share. In the meantime, contact Anthony at iND and they will fix you up.

https://ind-distribution.com/
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Sure are pretty. Hope they perform and fit as well as they look. A product we've talked about for a long time.....hopefully it pans out for evey one.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Tony

Ok great, thanks for sharing. Like that you can purchase without cats. Question is what is the difference between the 3.0 version and 3.2 version (prior to the provision for the cats).

Do you mind sharing your price out the door?
93 968 (sold)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
The version for 3.0 is essentially a copy of the classic SSI HE, but with larger 42mm primary pipes. This means the connections to the heater system are easiest with backdated heat (heater tubes connect up through the engine tin and don't use a separate blower, etc.). The 3.2 set up can use the stock aux. blower. See the photo of the "F" series classic version, then you can compare to mine above...

Up to you which version to go with, but the new one gives the option for CATs if desired.

Price-wise, I am all-in at $2900, including header/HE, connector tubes with O2 sensor bungs on both, shipping from Germany, etc.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Tony

Interesting that they stuck with thin flange for the 3.2. Wonder why? I read some threads debating whether the thick flange acted as a heat sink or not, increasing the effectiveness of combustion?

Lyle O - did yours have any type of insert that extended from the HEs into the exhaust port of the head on your engine? I've read about this on SSI's, but it doesn't look like it's there in the pics you sent.
93 968 (sold)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Tony

There was also a concern about not having the right amount of clearance with your muffler if you used thin flange SSIs on a 3.2. I wonder if Eisenmann has adjusted this between their SSI look alike for the 3.0 and the 3.2 system they just created.
93 968 (sold)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

WOW very nice. I make a 1.625 setup for 914-6's and charge $2200 retail and mine are not stamped. These look great. There is a huge cost in tooling up for these. good for them.

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
Interesting that they stuck with thin flange for the 3.2. Wonder why? I read some threads debating whether the thick flange acted as a heat sink or not, increasing the effectiveness of combustion?

Lyle O - did yours have any type of insert that extended from the HEs into the exhaust port of the head on your engine? I've read about this on SSI's, but it doesn't look like it's there in the pics you sent.
There is no "insert" at the outlet. I will say, though, that I do not remember an insert on the "thick flange" SSIs I had a few years ago (but it's been a while, so they may have been there).

As to fit, I haven't tried to mount them up yet, so we shall see (need to wait for the connector pipes). But from the earlier posts in this thread, they had this system specifically designed/modified for the 3.2, and there are photos showing it mounted.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
That is pretty cool that the 3.2 version is designed to retain the heater crossover tube. But I suspect that would restrict your choice of mufflers somewhat.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
I know this is somewhat apples to oranges here, but I remember buying ssi's back in the day and paying 750, and I thought it was way too expensive.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhouse97 View Post

I thought thick flange was ONLY to take standard 38mm id SSI's and mate them to 42mm exhaust port of the 3.2. No heat sink or anything fancy, just to account for the fact that the exhaust outlet was too big and they were not about to retool for that.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3literpwr View Post
I thought thick flange was ONLY to take standard 38mm id SSI's and mate them to 42mm exhaust port of the 3.2. No heat sink or anything fancy, just to account for the fact that the exhaust outlet was too big and they were not about to retool for that.

They also had the lip called gasket protectors to prevent exhaust leaks

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

These exhausts look nice. They have the option for CATs or pipe for racing. Will the thin flange be a problem and can they be enlarged? I think the new CATs with high flow would be almost as good a straight through...see GRM article on mufflers. Lyle, the pictures are different where the heat hooks to the exhaust...is this for the later model cars?

Last edited by DG624; 04-25-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG624 View Post
These exhausts look nice. They have the option for CATs or pipe for racing. Will the thin flange be a problem and can they be enlarged? I think the new CATs with high flow would be almost as good a straight through...see GRM article on mufflers. Lyle, the pictures are different where the heat hooks to the exhaust...is this for the later model cars?
Using copper plated nuts, they should mount right up.

Yes, this is designed to mate with the 3.2 heat set up: you use the standard heat cross-over tube to connect the two outlets, which combines to one tube up through the tin, to connect with the aux. blower. This is different from the traditional SSIs for SC and earlier cars (no aux blower, and each side goes up through the tin independently).
Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: