Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
I am going to start by using my current 2/2 muffler (Dansk w/84mm outlets), so I just need the header/heat exchangers.
Looking forward hearing how it goes. I just got a reply from Eisenmann (living in Germany) that they only sell the full set and other mufflers would not fit... will dig in deeper. Still interested in them if I could just fit them to a RSR style 2-in, 2-out muffler...

Thorsten
Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Looking forward hearing how it goes. I just got a reply from Eisenmann (living in Germany) that they only sell the full set and other mufflers would not fit... will dig in deeper. Still interested in them if I could just fit them to a RSR style 2-in, 2-out muffler...

Thorsten
Thanks a lot, for this, Thorsten; you are correct. It turns out you have to get the muffler, too (due to geometry muffler inlets), so I will also do that. It is just as well, as it then makes a complete, tuned system.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

...would be great to get a soundfile from you guys when your systems are complete.
I asked Eisenmann again and again, they promised it a few times, but it seems they
have nothing available till now

Is it really a big problem to record a soundfile?
I don't like to spend that amount of money without having any idea how this thing sounds!

Falk
Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Garage
I will post a sound file and photos as soon as everything is received and mounted. Should have it ready to go before the end of the month.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

I'm very interested in whether the cat system will pass emissions tests -- not worried about visual here in CO, but do need to hit original 1986 emissions requirements for my carrera. Would be great to run a balanced exhaust setup that's emission compliant once I do my 3.5 twinplug upgrade.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Is there any issue with clearance of the Oil Hoses & Lines when fitting the kats?

Len

Old 05-06-2017, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
Well, I couldn't help myself (header-junkie that I am), and I bought them. In the USA, you have to deal with iND Distribution, a performance system company in Illinois. I started working with Sven at Eisenmann, then Anthony at iND. Response and follow-up was great. I just received the header/heat exchangers; see the photos here. They are really beautiful. I couple of points:
The packaging they arrived in was the best I have ever seen. They were completely "mummy wrapped" in bubble material and then heavy boxed. Great job there.
They have the 42mm tubes. Very nicely done.
You can order any or all parts of the system (headers, CATs, and various muffler options). I am going to start by using my current 2/2 muffler (Dansk w/84mm outlets), so I just need the header/heat exchangers. I forgot, when I ordered originally, to include the connector pipes between the header and muffler. Original SSI didn't need these, because they didn't need a provision for CATs; these do. Eisenmann's system here for the 3.2 includes that option, so to delete CATs you need to include the connector pipes. I didn't realize this until the headers showed up (you can learn from my stupidity).
The heat exchanger connections, and all the dimensions, are compatible with the 3.2. However, if you don't already have the old style oil cross-over pipe, you need to order that also (I didn't need it).
The flanges are actually "thin", though, so you will need to use more standard nuts on the exhaust port studs (not the barrel nuts). No big deal.

I have not fitted these up to my car yet, so I cannot comment about that. I have to wait a couple of weeks for the connector tubes.

No doubt these are pricy, but I want to have a more "authentic" system, and the larger pipes should work much better with my 3.4L motor. Once everything is mounted I will take it to a dyno and get some data to share. In the meantime, contact Anthony at iND and they will fix you up.

https://ind-distribution.com/
Hello Lyle O, so did you receive the juction pipes from th heater box to the dansk 2 in 1 out?
I am in touch with Sven from Eisenmann for the same setup as you and he is telling me i can't adapt the heater boxes with a standard banana design 2 in 1 out exhaust like Dansk for ex because the flanges are proprietary.

email below:

Dear Mr. ,

thank you for your reply. Much to our regret we must inform you, that the Eisenmann heat exchangers does not fit in combination with stock connecting pipes (cat replacement) and OE/aftermarket Banana exhaust. Our flanges and connecting points are designed to work with the Eisenmann exhaust parts only.

Mit besten Grüßen / Best regards,

Sven Johann
Vertriebsleiter // Sales Manager

That is a bit unfortunate as i was expecting to réuse my 2 in 1 out 84mm dansk...

Would you have any comments on the sound etc?

All the best Guillaume
Old 05-13-2017, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Garage
Hello, does anyone knows if you can connect the eisenmann exchangers for 911 3.2 to the 2 in 1 out dansk exhausts?

Regards,
Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume187 View Post
Hello, does anyone knows if you can connect the eisenmann exchangers for 911 3.2 to the 2 in 1 out dansk exhausts?

Regards,
aparently this is not working... it is kind of a full system where all is custom made.

Cheers,

Thorsten
Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

Wow that is a deal breaker for most..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Garage
Can't be difficult to make an adapter....
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 05-16-2017, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

No but why would anyone want to buy something at the cost they are and then build adapters

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 05-16-2017, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Garage
Buy the whole system or be creative
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

Garage
Update: I received the connector tubes; I am still waiting for the muffler.

In looking at the headers and tubes, it is my hypothesis that the header portion is standard, with same relative dimensions between the flanges as Dansk racing headers. This would mean that it is really the muffler from Eisenmann that is unique. Therefore, it could be possible to use these Eisenmann headers with Dansk connector tubes, and that should line up to a Dansk 2-in muffler. See the photos below:

CAVEAT!!!! This is only my hypothesis!! It has not been tested (although if someone would loan me a set of Dansk connector tubes it would be easy to check).

As I have mentioned before, I will try out the full system when the muffler arrives, which should be in another week or so, and report back.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Garage
Lyle O that is a good point, someone has to try now...

But i just saw something on a picture sent before by Falk930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk930 View Post
Received some pics this morning:

Falk

I seems that if i reuse the Dansk exhaust with the dansk tubes, then the stock air tube that connects to the exchangers might not be able to be used then... There might not be enough space... And the Eisenmann exhaust is probably made with that concern?

Regards
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume187 View Post
Lyle O that is a good point, someone has to try now...

But i just saw something on a picture sent before by Falk930

I seems that if i reuse the Dansk exhaust with the dansk tubes, then the stock air tube that connects to the exchangers might not be able to be used then... There might not be enough space... And the Eisenmann exhaust is probably made with that concern?

Regards
You are correct I think; the primary driver to the different muffler inlet configuration is the heater tube. The Dansk and SSI assume "backdated heat"...Otherwise, you can use flexible high heat hose and plumb it yourself.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

Garage
Lyle O,

Can we have an update on your installation?

Thanks,
Harold
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldMHedge View Post
Lyle O,

Can we have an update on your installation?

Thanks,
Harold
I wish I had more to report, but I have not yet installed because I am still waiting on the muffler (I already have the header/heat exchangers and the connector pipes). Apparently the muffler has been produced, but they are waiting on the black chromated tail pipes I requested. Shipment is promised for August 4, so I should be able to report back by the end of August.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear about the delay Lyle.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

Garage
my experience with the kit

Hi all, so i did order and received the complete eisenmann "big ssi" kit for my 911 3.2 (engine with Schrick 288 cams, stiffer suspension and some weight saving here and there all the rest being stock)

Assets:
- efficient and soothing customer support.
- good packaging when it arrives, very safely wrapped.
- Well constructed kit (good solid stainless steel) asside of a couple of funny grinds here and there and i needed to force a cylinder nut a little in the tin hole because of a slight bent...
-allow you to keep the stock 911 3.2 efficient and regulated heating system that was a big plus for me.
- Slight engine performance increase high up in rev but haven't dyno checked it. Maybe it is just the increased sound? Eisenmann says 20hp... i think more around 5-10hp.
- Nice sound with the 70mm tip (you can have it polished) instead of the 83mm (sounds like a trumpet with 83 and don't like the chromed tip look too). Not too loud, not too timid, close to perfection with 70mm.

Drawbacks:
- Heavy system! Everythink being made very solid, the kit weights a ton... So if you are weight sensitive that could be a no go. The two exchangers are more heavy than stock (added tubing and tin i guess) as is the banana (don't really understand why on this and that is a bit disappointing). lets say a total of 5-7kg? Havent weighted but it seems close. That does change slightly the driving feeling with more "911 like" driving feel of the car.
- quite expensive.

Call me perfectionnist, but after the big dissapointment of the weight increase far back on the car, for such a small power increase feel and a wrong trumped noise witht the 83mm tip, i first thought the whole thing was a joke, but then i received the nice polished 70mm tip and the nice sound coming with and by just driving the car like this i got used to it and now i can say i am getting satisfied... Should have it power checked, maybe it is significantly more powerful than what i feel ?

All the best,

Guillaume
Old 07-27-2017, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: