Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone given a dyno report...before and after or compared with just a CAT bypass pipe on stock system? That is the most important information when considering on whether to spend the money. I have been told that the only way to improve on a CAT bypass is with different cams and maybe higher compression.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

Garage
I just want to prevent you from disaster.....................a friend of me trusted in the German quality , German welds ,

The result is an exhaust with numerous & unsolvables problems , wich not fits at all , leaks , no thick flanges ...................

Ok , that's not the same set and not free-flow , just SSI version ,but same brand and for sure , the same welders , i let you appreciate the hight quality of the adjustments.....................and the perfect fitting ...............

Just have a look at the pics to see what sort of product you're going to buy , just incredible ; and no explanations , no apologises , just money-back .

You have the chance to have M&K exhausts in USA , just not search better for quality in Europe , you'll not find something equal , and that's the reason why numerous 911 owners order at M&K. (or RaRlyL8)

Last edited by cdrik915; 08-09-2017 at 03:39 AM..
Old 08-09-2017, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

FYI, here are the results of a weigh-in between genuine 3.2 thick flange SSI and factory 993 Gillet heat exchangers.

Weighed on FedEx scales:
993, Gillet, 11.9 lbs (24 lbs/pair)
SSI, thick flange, 16 lbs. (32 lbs/pair)

Sherwood
Old 08-09-2017, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Well, time for an update from my venture into this system...

I finally received the muffler, and decided to install the entire system over the weekend. The delay in receiving the muffler (you will recall I have had the headers for some time) was caused by the black chromating of the tailpipes, as Eisenmann has a supplier do that (well worth the wait; more on that later).

I spent the better part of Saturday on the install. My observations on that:
  • I took my time to be sure everything was to spec.
  • Because my engine was re-done a couple of years ago, I did not have any drama taking off the prior system.
  • The dimensions of every piece were absolutely SPOT ON to the factory mounting points. I was actually stunned how perfectly everything fit on my 30 year old car. Every flange was perfectly flat, in plane, and all parts mated without any issue. Absolute precision.
  • Installing these is no different than installing conventional SSIs; getting to all the flange nuts was a real PITA.
  • The integration between the heater tube, muffler, and heat exchangers was perfect. Did I say the dimensions were dead-nuts good? Amazing.
Sound / performance:
  • When I fired it up, my first impression was that it was quieter than my M&K headers w/M&K 2/2 muffler, as well as the M&K headers with Dansk sport 2/2.
  • Driving the car, one of the biggest impressions hit me after a few minutes: I realized there was NO DRONE. Beautifully smooth and lush in the lower RPM range.
  • When putting my foot in the throttle, however, this system comes alive! A fantastic growl and plenty of evidence that this is no pedestrian system. The long tubes brings back a sound I have missed on this car from when I had SSIs at high RPM (hard to describe), but it is there again. Just glorious together with the muffler.
  • In terms of torque and power, the system feels much more ballsey in the mid-range, while pulling all the way to red-line. I still need to verify on the dyno, but the impression was significant.
Final thoughts:

This system rocks. For those that need max heat (like I do here in Michigan), there is no better system, as it has the great original HE design, while utilizing the 3.2 heater tube merge. You also have the option to add cats (not for me). It is heavier than the M&K system for sure, though, and it is pricy. For me, however, it is worth every penny to have such a perfectly matched and beautiful system for my car. Even the detail of the black tail pipes is a great surprise; I love the look, yet really have never seen this option on any other system (except for the factory black tip).

Also, I must give a shout-out to iND distribution, who are the North American dealer for Eisenmann. They are a real joy to deal with (thank you, Anthony), and were always great with communication and updates (in spite of this being a brand new system).

Here are some photos of the system installed. I still owe sound files and dyno results, and I will do both in the coming weeks, and will share.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
Well, time for an update from my venture into this system...

I finally received the muffler, and decided to install the entire system over the weekend. The delay in receiving the muffler (you will recall I have had the headers for some time) was caused by the black chromating of the tailpipes, as Eisenmann has a supplier do that (well worth the wait; more on that later).

I spent the better part of Saturday on the install. My observations on that:
  • I took my time to be sure everything was to spec.
  • Because my engine was re-done a couple of years ago, I did not have any drama taking off the prior system.
  • The dimensions of every piece were absolutely SPOT ON to the factory mounting points. I was actually stunned how perfectly everything fit on my 30 year old car. Every flange was perfectly flat, in plane, and all parts mated without any issue. Absolute precision.
  • Installing these is no different than installing conventional SSIs; getting to all the flange nuts was a real PITA.
  • The integration between the heater tube, muffler, and heat exchangers was perfect. Did I say the dimensions were dead-nuts good? Amazing.
Sound / performance:
  • When I fired it up, my first impression was that it was quieter than my M&K headers w/M&K 2/2 muffler, as well as the M&K headers with Dansk sport 2/2.
  • Driving the car, one of the biggest impressions hit me after a few minutes: I realized there was NO DRONE. Beautifully smooth and lush in the lower RPM range.
  • When putting my foot in the throttle, however, this system comes alive! A fantastic growl and plenty of evidence that this is no pedestrian system. The long tubes brings back a sound I have missed on this car from when I had SSIs at high RPM (hard to describe), but it is there again. Just glorious together with the muffler.
  • In terms of torque and power, the system feels much more ballsey in the mid-range, while pulling all the way to red-line. I still need to verify on the dyno, but the impression was significant.
Final thoughts:

This system rocks. For those that need max heat (like I do here in Michigan), there is no better system, as it has the great original HE design, while utilizing the 3.2 heater tube merge. You also have the option to add cats (not for me). It is heavier than the M&K system for sure, though, and it is pricy. For me, however, it is worth every penny to have such a perfectly matched and beautiful system for my car. Even the detail of the black tail pipes is a great surprise; I love the look, yet really have never seen this option on any other system (except for the factory black tip).

Also, I must give a shout-out to iND distribution, who are the North American dealer for Eisenmann. They are a real joy to deal with (thank you, Anthony), and were always great with communication and updates (in spite of this being a brand new system).

Here are some photos of the system installed. I still owe sound files and dyno results, and I will do both in the coming weeks, and will share.

Very Nice!!
probably the perfect 3.2 exhaust setup
Old 08-31-2017, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Garage
Cool, looks really good!
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Lyle, thanks for the great review!
Really would like to see dyno + soundfile....

How do you like the system after first impression?

Thanks
Falk
Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk930 View Post
Lyle, thanks for the great review!
Really would like to see dyno + soundfile....

How do you like the system after first impression?

Thanks
Falk
Hi Falk, I will post the sound file this week end I hope (I have a stationary recording, but I want a dynamic one also and I need to get my son to help me). I should have dyno data within the next two weeks.

The more I drive my car, the more I love this system. Definitely more tame at idle than either M&K or Dansk, but still you know it is a sporty system. But at higher revs, it really has a feel and "punch"; it rips nicely. The smoothness, with no drone at all, is amazing. Super satisfied. It looks so good, though, I wish it were more visible! The black tail pipes are really cool, too...
Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
...The black tail pipes are really cool, too...
Lyle,

Did they came with the muffler?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Lyle,

Did they came with the muffler?
Yes, you get an option for the typical polished stainless, or polished black anaodized. They are removable.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Yes, you get an option for the typical polished stainless, or polished black anaodized. They are removable.
They will look good against white.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Lyle, any news for the soundfile?

Falk
Old 10-07-2017, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrik915 View Post
I just want to prevent you from disaster.....................a friend of me trusted in the German quality , German welds ,

The result is an exhaust with numerous & unsolvables problems , wich not fits at all , leaks , no thick flanges ...................

Ok , that's not the same set and not free-flow , just SSI version ,but same brand and for sure , the same welders , i let you appreciate the hight quality of the adjustments.....................and the perfect fitting ...............

Just have a look at the pics to see what sort of product you're going to buy , just incredible ; and no explanations , no apologises , just money-back .

You have the chance to have M&K exhausts in USA , just not search better for quality in Europe , you'll not find something equal , and that's the reason why numerous 911 owners order at M&K. (or RaRlyL8)

My SSIs, the original mfgs, had the same misalignment, when I got them. These are bent tubing, and getting the exactly the same flange heights would drive the price through the roof. I bolted mine on and they pulled up nicely and no leaks. You can fix the thick flange issue by replacing the studs, or just add spacers to take up the space. If you have ever made tube headers(I have) its a quest. The music that the 3.2 makes with these is worth the hassel.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 10-07-2017, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)

Are there any updates on these exchangers?

I checked out their website and still could not get them for sale.

I am quite hoping to get a set, although my build will require me to use a custom built muffler as I need the centre exhaust outlets, so the plan is that I get the Eisemann exchangers, cats and then make a custom muffler to fit.

I guess I also will need to make the parts to fit to my "old" (as in pre-84) heating system, but that will just be part of the fun.

So any update or link of how to order a set would be great.

And then I can sell my original SSI's (new in the box, not the Dansk versions) and hopefully defray some of the quite high cost of these suckers....

Dennis
Old 12-11-2017, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
My SSIs, the original mfgs, had the same misalignment, when I got them. These are bent tubing, and getting the exactly the same flange heights would drive the price through the roof. I bolted mine on and they pulled up nicely and no leaks. You can fix the thick flange issue by replacing the studs, or just add spacers to take up the space. If you have ever made tube headers(I have) its a quest. The music that the 3.2 makes with these is worth the hassel.

All true and the thing that people don't realize that until heat cycled the stainless moves around a bunch..lots of flexibility

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)

Garage
We have probably had at least 4 different sets of headers with heater boxes on our
modified 3.2: now a 3.5 with supercharger.

In terms of "heat", we have yet to see anything come close to heat output of the stock heat ex changers or SSI style (Dansk) aftermarket

So, aside from actual header performance, whether that be on a stock 3.0, 3.2 or whatever, you need to consider how cold your climate is.
The coldest temps our 911 cab has driven thus far has been 16F.
At 16F, the stock 3.2 heat ex changer, without using the rear auxiliary blower in the motor bay, is terrific; just using the two kick panel fan
boosters in the cockpit.

We are currently running the Dansk version of the SSI for a 3.2's. Have not had clear roads to test temps in the teens yet, however works
okay in the mid 30's to low 40's so far. Naturally, performance wise on this modified engine, as you near boost levels, is not so good due to the restriction of the small primary
and undersized collector diameter

Last edited by kuehl; 12-11-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iciclehead View Post
Are there any updates on these exchangers?

I checked out their website and still could not get them for sale.

I am quite hoping to get a set, although my build will require me to use a custom built muffler as I need the centre exhaust outlets, so the plan is that I get the Eisemann exchangers, cats and then make a custom muffler to fit.

I guess I also will need to make the parts to fit to my "old" (as in pre-84) heating system, but that will just be part of the fun.

So any update or link of how to order a set would be great.

And then I can sell my original SSI's (new in the box, not the Dansk versions) and hopefully defray some of the quite high cost of these suckers....

Dennis
Here's a link to their distributor in the states.

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=P91130.WT38
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, check with Anthony at iND-Distribution. They would handle all North American sales I think.

I just put my car away for the winter (in a nick of time), and I could not be more pleased with the system. Amazing performance and sound. Interestingly, I did some dyno runs and it hit exactly the same peak RWHP as my former system did, though with a different slope on the curve (but different dynos). Unfortunately, I screwed up the sound recording I made during the run, so that has to wait until spring.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Lyle,
Thank you so much for posting your before and after dyno run. It's not often we get good comparison data like this!

Just so I'm clear, is the before run with your Rarly L8 1.625 inch headers and M&K 2/2 muffler?

Did the AFR change much?

Do you have any dyno results for when you first ran SSI's and Dansk 2/2 muffler?

Thanks!
Peter
Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)

Lyle,
Your before/after results are close. Unfortunately, comparisons on different days/conditions and with different dynos don't provide conclusive A-B comparisons. Or, differences might be so minor with your particular engine configuration, it's a wash as to which exhaust system is "better".

Could you summarize the details of the two systems to better understand the before and after?

Thanks,
Sherwood
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: