Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Schleprock

Thanks for the info. Not trying to challenge the reality because I know a lot of folks do indeed ditch the harmonic balancer in the spirit of performance. In your case, why not change the upper pulley on the fan/alternator instead of changing the crank pulley?

Only reason I mentioned it is because I saw it on the engine & thought it was good to see it retained, which made me recall some info from a Porsche tech document comparing the 964 vs. 993 engine

Cool engine. Should make for a lot of fun in that car. I also agree that i'd ditch the old tech headers and stick with the modern ones.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Racer

The other thing to consider is that the harmonic balancer was as part of a specific system. I have changed that system greatly. For example, I am running lighter rods (Carrillo), lighter pistons (J&E), and a much lighter flywheel (Fidanza aluminum with steel insert friction surface).

So who knows if the harmonic balancer is helping, doing nothing, or hurting??

The later race cars that were based on the 964 engine did not use the harmonic balancer while some of the earlier ones did. Sounds like a crap shoot to me!
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Every 993Cup and RSR which were all based on the 964 bottom end left the factoory w/ a vibration damper pulley, there were 2 versions one used on the Cups and a different version for the RSR. These were not the same as those used on the 964s and they were quite expensive, the Cup version was least expensive at ~ $2500 marks(this was pre Euro)

I have seen some w/o a harmonic balancer but they are the exception
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I agree w/ Scott the headers that came off the car were superior by far

Looks like MFI, another period choice that could have been greatly improved on w/ a modern EFI setup.

Nice build any way, Don't see this as being streetable w/o mufflers

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 09-30-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Old 09-30-2016, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

I would think a vibration dampener / harmonic balancer would always be a benefit due to the reduction of torsional vibration of the crankshaft. Seem like it would also help reduce wear - provide a flush fit constantly. If that is the case then there is also an argument to be made that the timing would be better as well then.

Just don't use the ones filled with a fluid - I remember reading an SAE paper many years ago stating that the increase in heat reduced the dampening effect.
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
" Don't see this as being streetable w/o mufflers " Nah, they just want to drive it down the street to set off all the alarms and wake people up. Here in SoCal with the "stucco" mountain ranches, they should get some great reverberations. Glad I'm in SDiego.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I would hate to drive with that clutch in traffic.

Awesome build.

How about a video?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 09-30-2016, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Vintage Motorsport

Garage
I'm not sure they make fluid dampers for Porsches. if you do use one just make sure you replace it on a regular basis.

Here's an article I wrote on all of this. I came to the conclusion that the OEM units are the best. Just make sure that your damper is not failing.

I strongly suggest that you read the link to Porsche 6 Cyl Harmonic Engine Failure. That's a great source of information.

Richard Newton

Last edited by RichardNew; 10-01-2016 at 06:36 AM..
Old 10-01-2016, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Casey contacted me and is going with a custom built to his specs, FR fiberglass wrapped engine harness.
Just finished it up today. It will look nice on that engine.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Casey contacted me and is going with a custom built to his specs, FR fiberglass wrapped engine harness.
Just finished it up today. It will look nice on that engine.

Looks great, Dennis!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Administrator

Next up! Fabrication of CD Box carrier:

We bought some aluminum sheetmetal from the local aluminum store, laid out the boxes and cut the sheet to fit. Drilled some holes using rubber isolator mounts and then hung them up! This was not a quick process as it took a few times to fabricate a box that was up to par. But! We did finally get something together that worked. This left just enough room for the fuel filter console, which will be mounted just ahead of the new CD Box mount. This will happen once we receive the isolator mounts from Porsche.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Administrator

Inspection of the fuel cell:

We have to run a fuel return line through the body of the car, which meant we had to remove the fuel cell, front subframe and steering rack. First remove the fuel cell, then the front crossmember, then the steering rack, then fish it through the body and out the end.

Since the tank has a date stamp of nearly 15 years ago, and the bladders are only certified for 5 we figured it's best to inspect its condition. So, before removing the cell we removed the covers which was relatively simple, as anything else it’s just nuts and bolts! End result is the bladder is not yet leaking, but has some cracks on the portion we can see up top. We will likely get a new bladder from FuelSafe in the not too distant future. We don’t want to have to use that fire system!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Administrator

New Wire harness:

Thanks to forum member timmy2 we got the new wiring harness installed and it fits perfectly.

Stick around for another update soon!
Old 11-11-2016, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Administrator

Installed chain housing covers:

This was a pretty straight forward replacement of the chain housing cover gaskets. Most of the studs pulled out of the housing when we removed them so we applied some LocTite to them in an attempt to keep them where they belong.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Fuel filter console:

Nothing too exciting here, but as we are waiting for the rubber isolators from Porsche we were able to get these bolted up. Again, this is a very straight forward install. In the photos below there looks to be an interference issue with the decklid shock, BUT we will not be using one once it gets put in to action.

More to come!
Old 11-11-2016, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Science is NOT optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
We believe the full exhaust that we installed, including the headers, are from a genuine RSR.
Interesting. What were the original headers pictured? What are the dimensions, such as primary diameters and lengths, of the two sets of headers?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Do yourself a favor and call Fuel Safe. That bladder is over 12 years old ! And they don't take well to ethanol blended pump gas either. There is a good chance the liner will fail. They are not rated to live this long. I know you have had the car "on the shelf" for quite a while, and it is possible the bladder can work for some time in the future
But best to take the precaution and have it checked out / replaced
Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbogh901 View Post
Interesting. What were the original headers pictured? What are the dimensions, such as primary diameters and lengths, of the two sets of headers?
They are not all that interesting. Modern headers are most certainly better. Especially in the collector area.
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Administrator

Here it is guys (and gals) - the very first fire up of our RSR Tribute. We're very happy with it and hope you are too!

Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbogh901 View Post
Post #2 on the first page has pictures of the headers. I am unsure of the measurements you're asking about.

As for an update, still looking to add more to this thread soon so keep an eye out!

Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: