Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Fuel Pump Jump

I am in the second phase of my no-start issue on a 1987 911.

I have finally resolved my no spark issue, having found the culprit with a broken wire in my Sensor HARNESS, not in the speed sensor itself. Simply due to the broken wire I was not getting any reading whatsoever no matter what new sensor I plugged in. I now have all of the OHM and AC volt readings for both sensors and have a strong spark at the coil.

But now I am turning my attention to the fuel side. I have two new dme relays and I hear them both clicking when I turn the key on. But I do not hear the fuel pump turning on. Can someone please tell me how to jump the fuel pump to get it running to see if the car will start.

I did do all kind of searches on this and most of the posts spoke about jumping the fuel pump and bypassing the dme relay without really telling how to do the processes.

Can someone set this out for me step by step as I am making serious gains with resolving my no-start issue

Thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's explained in the Bentley manual. See Broken down near Pt. Reyes, CA
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Srwilliams - You can also post this question in the comments/suggestions section at the bottom of this tech article here: Porsche 911 Fuel Pump Replacement | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. Casey or Nick might have your answer. This might also help by having it listed in the tech article itself for someone to view in the future if they need to do the same. Or you can purchase the Bentley Manual here as it has a lot of great info: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0814/POR_0814_TOLBKS_pg1.htm#item0. Good luck.

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 10-13-2016 at 10:22 AM..
Old 10-13-2016, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I dont recall the terminals off the top of my head, but i hated using a scrap of wire and made this. It doesnt fall out, spark or move around and made trouble shooting this system a little easier.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Man did not realize I owned the Bently manual and went right to the pages you guys suggested and successfully jumped the fuel pump. Thanks you guys
Old 10-13-2016, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

For someone coming to this thread later:

I believe the fuel pump fuse is #6. For testing, I just bridge the fuse holder for #6 and #5 with something metallic like a screwdriver or coin to make the fuel pump run. #1 is the closest fuse to the driver.

I just did this the other day to pressurize the fuel system to test for leaks after installing a newly rebuilt motor.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: