Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

I am getting close to fixing a no-start problem on a 1987 porsche carrera.

I first started with no spark and finally got that rectified and have a strong spark. After I got the fire part of the car rectified, found that i had a bad fuel pump after jumping the fuel pump and doing all of the tests, as well as replacing DME relay. Purchased a new fuel pump and you can hear it working.

Sprayed starter fluid and car fires right up but immediately dies off after running for 1 to 2 seconds. Car will start only with starter fluid. Smell no burnt gas at the exhausts. For some reason there does not appear to be gas getting sufficiently to the fuel rails although there is some gas there when i loosen the fuel plug at the rail.

Would the fuel pressure regulator cause the low pressure at the fuel rails and if so how would I go about checking the fuel pressure regulator.

If anyone else has suggestions on what is possibly causing this low fuel pressure issue at the fuel rails please let me know what to consider.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Since you have opened the Fuel Pressure Test port, why not test pressures, while on and off then report or follow Bentley guide. HF sells the kit pretty cheap and you will get a good idea if pressures are adequate.

BTW, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Also, let's hope it is not he FPR, it s a beast to replace while engine is in the car.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What kind of FPR? those cheapo's are known to fail.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Since you have opened the Fuel Pressure Test port, why not test pressures, while on and off then report or follow Bentley guide. HF sells the kit pretty cheap and you will get a good idea if pressures are adequate.

BTW, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Also, let's hope it is not he FPR, it s a beast to replace while engine is in the car.
Draco: What does HR stand for as I will go there and purchase the kit?

Charwood: I never changed the regulator and so it is the stock one in the car.

Can someone point me in the direction of the Fuel return hose because Ingo gave me a great way to test if the regulator is working or not, the same test outlined in bentley. I just got to figure out which hose are they talking about pinching
Old 10-25-2016, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Harbor Freight.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 10-25-2016, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: