Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Great pictures
Old 10-29-2016, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Wow, what a great place. An asset to the area for sure.

Wayne I'm loving the color and paint job on the 959. It glows
Old 10-29-2016, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
From left to right:
Porsche Experience Centre Atlanta track layout, Road Atlanta, COTA, Sebring

All on my bucket list to drive

'89 CARRERA
Old 10-30-2016, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap997s View Post
I stopped by a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get past the guard at the entrance. He said grand opening is November 15th.
I did the same thing!
Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Wow, what a great place. An asset to the area for sure.

Wayne I'm loving the color and paint job on the 959. It glows
If you are referring to the pearl white car that is the Gruppe B concept, not actually a 959.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-30-2016, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Museum pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
If you are referring to the pearl white car that is the Gruppe B concept, not actually a 959.

Yup,

It was in the old museum when we picked up our '86.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 10-30-2016, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Diss Member

Headed out there after seeing Wayne's post. Most of the cool cars were on the other side of the glass in the "Porsche Motorsport side" where we couldn't go.
I asked if there was anyone who could give me some information but there was no one from Porsche Motorsport there and no one knew about the cars.

Here is the big question mark for me...
What exactly is this car?

It has what appears to be a shorter humped nose of a 956. In the later 962s the nose is pretty flat from the windshield forward. The front tires are closer to the front of the nose then any 962 that I'm aware of.
When I looked through the window the back firewall was polished metal with a very large "962" embossed in the metal and there was no chassis number on the firewall. It is in Camel GTP livery and the GTP series had a requirement for the driver's feet to be behind the centerline of the front wheels. (One of the driving reasons for the development of the 962) Looking at it as best I could it seems that the steering wheel seems awful far forward to have the driver's feet behind the wheel's centerline.

So exactly what is this car? Is it a test mule for the 962 or what? Anyone know what the chassis number for it is?

--
Wayne - 87 Carrera coupe -> The pooch.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
For anyone wondering about the driving you can do here (and Atlanta), I recently drove the Carrera S out at Porsche Experience Atlanta and it was completely worth it. This is a great way to get an intro into Porsche on the track, but also to just see what they can do. It goes at your own pace. I have a little prior experience on the track, and so we were getting around the circuit pretty quick compared to other cars, but there were people there that were learning the driving line. It's for everyone who loves Porsche! I had so much fun that I've booked to back to Atlanta in a few weeks.

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 White 911 Carrera (a work in progress)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Sebring, COTA & Road Atlanta
Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

On the 962, I didn't see anything unusual about it? I assumed it was either 962-103 or 962-HR1 which are setup almost identical and are nearly impossible to tell apart, even when they are standing right next to each other.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 10-31-2016, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Diss Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
On the 962, I didn't see anything unusual about it? I assumed it was either 962-103 or 962-HR1 which are setup almost identical and are nearly impossible to tell apart, even when they are standing right next to each other.

-Wayne
An early number like 103 would make sense but I can't find a picture of 103 or HR1 that has the details I saw. Problem is a racecar is highly changeable.

A few odd things...
- The pictures of 962-103 and 962-HR1 have conventional front fenders. This car has a raised aero section on the front face plus louvers. (Circled in red.)
- As mentioned before no chassis number on the firewall and a big "962" embossed in the polished sheet metal. (Circled in blue.)
- The body work between the nose and the door doesn't line up on the right side of the car just below the window. (Circled in green.)

I'm pretty sure this is the same car with a "1" tacked on the number. It has two matching paint chips visible just to the left of the tow hook...

Here you can see the mismatched panel better.

Both 962-103 and 962-HR1 were sold by Gooding at Amelia Island in 2012 and there are noticeable differences in the cars as they were sold and the car at PEC. HR1 has the same "cut ins" at the bottom of the sides as the PEC car but 103 doesn't. (Circled in green.)

Neither car had the raised aero section on the front of the front fenders and I would be surprised if someone would change a car so much after spending so much for it at auction.

I don't know what it is ...

--
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Is Porsche coffee higher octane?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
Technically yes, but it is a study back to which the 959 can directly trace.

It really is stunning in Pearl White. I got to see it last year.

Impressive Porsche shipped the car over for this event. After this it may be going back in storage for a while now that the 959 exhibit ended earlier this year. If it is still at the Experience center I recommend going to take a look at it!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 11-01-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Administrator

We just uploaded the photos from this thread and additional ones to our photo gallery for all of you to view at the link below:

Pelican Parts Photos - Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles
Old 11-01-2016, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Diss Member

Well I've been talking to the owner of one of the other 962s on display at the PEC and it is definitely 962-HR1. It has been having some restoration work done by Gunnar Racing since Amelia Island and I guess it means that they have a different nose on it now. I think the nose might have been an earlier attempt at improving the front aero but I have no idea what races that would have been for.

Either way it is a really cool and unique 962 and it's race history is pretty awesome!

--
Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

It looks like they used a long hood front trunk lid for the Gruppe B car. How close are they in dimensions?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Good excuse for a road trip from Scottsdale in the Spyder!!
1997 993 C2
2016 981 Spyder PTS
Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
I think the track scultures are the LA Exp Center, Road Atlanta and COTA. Linear Edge makes them for pretty much every track there is.(F1, WEC, MotoGP etc) Pretty cool 3D ones now, which is neat for the elevation changes on some tracks.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Artist Extraordinaire

For what its worth, this is the car that was part of the Drendel collection and auctioned off at Amelia. Note the blue surround around the windshield, absent from the cars above. I was fortunate enough to photograph this collection a year or so before they went to auction. It was a beauty. I wonder if it is the same car. If so i'm not sure why its going through a "restoration". Maybe to correct mods done through its lifetime. I'm sure its in good hands w/ Gunnar.

Terry
83 911SC / 85 Omni GLH Turbo / 91 VW GTI 16v / 11 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo/04 Audi A4 Turbo Ultrasport

Last edited by tmsautoart; 11-05-2016 at 06:40 PM..
Old 11-05-2016, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: