Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smoky Mountain Region PCA

Garage
Euro H4's Cleaning and Bulbs

The PO had installed H5's in my '82 911SC. Even after cleaning the lens internally, I was never happy with the light output.

I recently installed euro H4's - they came with Hella 55/60w H4 bulbs and they are a distinct improvement over the H5's, but I wondered if I could improve the light output a bit further! The PO had cut off the original lamp sockets and spliced-in H5 sockets. I replaced the H5 sockets with ceramic H4 sockets with 14 awg pigtails, attached to the original Porsche headlight wiring harness. I also added relays at the fuse panel for the high/low beams.

My questions are these:

1. Is there a better 55/60w bulb for improved light output over the Hella H4?

2. With relays, original headlight harness, and ceramic sockets with 14 awg pigtails, can I safely go to 80/100w bulbs? (By safely, I mean not having to modify the wiring any further!) If so, is there a specific recommendation for a bulb?

3. I noted the euro H4's reflector and lens aren't sealed. I did install fresh headlight seals around the edge of the bucket. Do these headlights tend to get dirty internally very quickly and if so, how difficult is it to clean the inside of the lens and/or reflector?

All my late-model cars have bi-xenon headlights and I guess I'm spoiled by their intense output! Any tips on how to get the most out of the euro H4's appreciated!

Last edited by jaustinmd; 11-13-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Old 11-13-2016, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Yep, I run 80/100w and use a relay kit. Total of four......bulbs are available most parts stores.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

I ran 80/100w bulbs for a while. Fantastic light. Even though I'm using relays, all the existing wire (except between the fuse panel to the relays) is 25 years old. I wasn't completely comfortable with that kind of current and old wiring so I "downgraded" to I think 70/75w bulbs. I plan to renew all the wire for the lights with ceramic plugs, but until I do I'll just have to be happy with this which is still very good.

All the big name bulbs - Hella, Narva, Sylvania, etc. - are basically the same.

If you want or need to clean the inside of the lens or reflector, the lens detaches from the headlight assembly. It's a bit fiddly, so keep that in mind. In almost a decade of owning my car I've never had to clean the lens. Mind you, about five or six years ago I replaced the lenses with new ones as they were pretty pitted and sand blasted. Which reminds me, I have to do the same this winter as I got a stone in one and need to replace. I'll do both at the same time with new rubber seals and such. As I recall it was a couple hour job to do last time.

That I need to replace them before I clean the inside should tell you something. I drive about 5K miles or so each year.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Who uses these? How do you affix them to the lens? Duct tape at the edges or double sided tape on the lens?

Old 11-13-2016, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
I ran 80/100w bulbs for a while. Fantastic light. Even though I'm using relays, all the existing wire (except between the fuse panel to the relays) is 25 years old. I wasn't completely comfortable with that kind of current and old wiring so I "downgraded" to I think 70/75w bulbs. I plan to renew all the wire for the lights with ceramic plugs, but until I do I'll just have to be happy with this which is still very good.
Sounds reasonable! I went back and looked at the installation instructions for my JWest Engineering relay kit (2 relays) and it said their "favorite" bulb (if the original wiring was in good shape) was Osram 80/85W bulbs, so sounds like 75-85W bulbs are OK and not pushing the limits of the wiring.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaustinmd View Post
The PO had installed H5's in my '82 911SC. Even after cleaning the lens internally, I was never happy with the light output.

I recently installed euro H4's - they came with Hella 55/60w H4 bulbs and they are a distinct improvement over the H5's, but I wondered if I could improve the light output a bit further! The PO had cut off the original lamp sockets and spliced-in H5 sockets. I replaced the H5 sockets with ceramic H4 sockets with 14 awg pigtails, attached to the original Porsche headlight wiring harness. I also added relays at the fuse panel for the high/low beams.

My questions are these:

1. Is there a better 55/60w bulb for improved light output over the Hella H4?

2. With relays, original headlight harness, and ceramic sockets with 14 awg pigtails, can I safely go to 80/100w bulbs? (By safely, I mean not having to modify the wiring any further!) If so, is there a specific recommendation for a bulb?

3. I noted the euro H4's reflector and lens aren't sealed. I did install fresh headlight seals around the edge of the bucket. Do these headlights tend to get dirty intebulbrnally very quickly and if so, how difficult is it to clean the inside of the lens and/or reflector?

All my late-model cars have bi-xenon headlights and I guess I'm spoiled by their intense output! Any tips on how to get the most out of the euro H4's appreciated!
I have tried multiple brands and wattages of H4 bulbs, including the 80/100W type.
The high watt ones run really HOT and consume massive current.
I did a great deal of research on the different H4 bulbs/brands available, and according to the "candlepower forum" which is devoted to lighting, the best H4 bulb available is the Phillips X-treme Vision +130. They say the precise tolerences
in construction make it's projection/focus superior and even at 55/60W the light output is much greater than a standard 50/60W, ergo the +130 nomenclature.
I installed a pair in my Bosch H4s (with relays) and I couldn't be happier with my lighting now! I had previously tried the supposed LED replacement bulbs, had them in for a week and thru them in the trash, they are junk!
Try the Phillips, I think you will like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWUPC6
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 11-13-2016, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
By the way (and to creep my own thread!), I happened to have a pair of white LED bulbs that fit the "city light" sockets on the euro H4's. I wired them to the parking lights - they definitely light up the front of the car when the parking lights are on!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaustinmd View Post
By the way (and to creep my own thread!), I happened to have a pair of white LED bulbs that fit the "city light" sockets on the euro H4's. I wired them to the parking lights - they definitely light up the front of the car when the parking lights are on!
Any chance you could expand on that mod?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
8.3 amps per bulb on high beams with 100 watts.
#16 Awg wire is rated 20 amps DC.
17 amps total through the high beam relay and wiring.
Less on low beams.

Last edited by timmy2; 11-14-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloX View Post
Any chance you could expand on that mod?
The euro H4"s have a "city light" bulb socket immediately below the H4 bulb - takes a small bulb as used in the side marker lights ... I think it is a BA9S bulb base?

You can jumper the parking light wire that passes through the headlight bucket and jumper a ground and the light will illuminate when the parking lights or headlights are on. No big deal - looks kind of cool, however, when the parking lights are on and I guess that much more safety by lighting up the headlights in addition to the parking lights when the car is parked. I like the idea of the LED bulbs since the additional current draw is minimal.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
bulb , euro , h4's