Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can anyone ID these bumper parts?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an impact bumper car and often times I think of doing a backdate, but if I could a set-up like this, I would be very happy.

It almost looks like the bumpers have been pushed in and the rubber according looking pieces were replaced with a smooth, paintable part.

If anybody knows this car, I would love to know the details! Very beautiful!

I had an old BMW E21 (20+ years ago) that I collapsed the bumper shocks and trimmed the side rubbers and made a huge difference, not sure if this is the same.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Interesting car. Never saw it before.

According to this article,
The All-Rounder: A 1976 911 For Street and Track - @FlatSixes - the blog about Porsche

"The normal rubber bellows used on G-Series bumpers have been deleted and filled in with custom panels..."

On the front bumper, he filled in the space created by deleting the rubber impact strip and you can see a line where the custom filler panel deletes the bumper accordions. It also looks like the front bumper blade has been tucked about an inch. The bumper smile has been deleted too, but the top exposed part extends as much as normal.

If you wanted to replicate this look, you'd need to talk to a body guy to make it for you custom.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Those are hot. Do want. Whoever made these nailed it. I've seen some others that look a lot less elegant. I dig the contours - definitely makes it look like an intentional piece and not a compromise. David Anderson are you on this board?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will hung View Post
Interesting car. Never saw it before.

According to this article,
The All-Rounder: A 1976 911 For Street and Track - @FlatSixes - the blog about Porsche

"The normal rubber bellows used on G-Series bumpers have been deleted and filled in with custom panels..."

On the front bumper, he filled in the space created by deleting the rubber impact strip and you can see a line where the custom filler panel deletes the bumper accordions. It also looks like the front bumper blade has been tucked about an inch. The bumper smile has been deleted too, but the top exposed part extends as much as normal.

If you wanted to replicate this look, you'd need to talk to a body guy to make it for you custom.

How'd you find that? Thank you, I've tried to google search the photo but I guess i'm not good at that!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Those are hot. Do want. Whoever made these nailed it. I've seen some others that look a lot less elegant. I dig the contours - definitely makes it look like an intentional piece and not a compromise. David Anderson are you on this board?
My thoughts exactly!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
The other nice thing is, you can put a glass rear bumper on, delete the rockers, and still run an impact bumper looking front with those pieces. A lot of work put into that front bumper though. Wonder if it's the lighter glass replacement piece. The gray stripe is nice too, it copies the original rubber in a subtle way.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Occasional User

here's some ideas from another thread. I love the blue car - still has the accordions, but love the pushed in front bumper

Smoothed out impact bumpers
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
How'd you find that? Thank you, I've tried to google search the photo but I guess i'm not good at that!
I did an image search.

I like this setup a lot. But in the end, with how much it would cost to get this done custom, it would probably be cheaper to get a narrow body sc rs front bumper from EB motorsports thru Rothsport.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an impact bumper car and often times I think of doing a backdate, but if I could a set-up like this, I would be very happy.

It almost looks like the bumpers have been pushed in and the rubber according looking pieces were replaced with a smooth, paintable part.

If anybody knows this car, I would love to know the details! Very beautiful!

I had an old BMW E21 (20+ years ago) that I collapsed the bumper shocks and trimmed the side rubbers and made a huge difference, not sure if this is the same.

You could also hand f/g bumpers
like this

Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I thought there was a vender who sold smooth pieces to substitute for the bellows. Al, are you out there? Anyone? Bueller?
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
I thought there was a vender who sold smooth pieces to substitute for the bellows. Al, are you out there? Anyone? Bueller?
I know nothing...........
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
I've seen one, but it was basically a smooth version of the bellows.

Looking at this car again, it looks like the owner tucked the front bumper blade so much that its touching the sections that mount behind the bellows. As in, he completely collapsed the front bumper, deleting the bellows.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: