Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spitting fuel from exhaust

I had my sunroof seal replaced and I suspect the mechanic who did it either turned the ignition key on and off 200 times or just left the ignition on the whole time working on the car. More likely he turned it on and off many, many times causing the cold start valve to flood the engine. Because the engine was hydralocked with flooded fuel and so the starter would only give me a 1/10th of revolution each of the few times I gave it a try over 5 minutes. But after 10 minutes of waiting it actually did crank the starter continuously at a normal speed and the engine took at least 30 seconds of cranking (it's never taken that long before) before it started to hit and finally started. Then it was spitting unburned wet fuel from the exhaust while idling. Is that normal for a flood engine in idling recovery from flooded state?

The engine's now been run for a cumulative 1 hour of running over the last 24 hours and I'm still getting some spitting of fuel liquid out of the exhaust. Is it surprising that it's taking this long to clear up or could there have been some permanent damage done?

Is this series of events surprising from a technical point of view?

And then it was idling too high after it warmed up, and it's never done that before. Maybe I lost a vacuum line in the process? Maybe airbox leaking now coincidentally?

Last edited by octanemaestro; 12-05-2016 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: send notifications forgot, oh, too bad can't change that
Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
What year? Sounds like an earlier car that has the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to acc1. Try an Italian tune up?

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 12-05-2016, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

well regardless id be changing that oil ... I bet tons of fuel has leaked by into case.
I am not 100% but I thought CSV only fired during " start" not on ignition on.

May depend on year though .
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
What year? Sounds like an earlier car that has the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to acc1. Try an Italian tune up?
1981 SC Euro

What's an Italian tune up?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Italian Tune Up=Drive the piss outta it....
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Are you sure it's fuel?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

if the FP runs with the key on that is what happened,
CSV should only run when in the start position.

you could be running a tad on the rich side.

could be condensation coming out of the exhaust.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
well regardless id be changing that oil ... I bet tons of fuel has leaked by into case.
I am not 100% but I thought CSV only fired during " start" not on ignition on.

May depend on year though .

A real cautionary note there.... On a VW, if the fuel pump goes bad and gas dilutes the oil, you're at danger of burning up your bearings. I suppose it's the same on a Porsche if the engine is hydrolocked. Smell the oil for gas contamination & take note of any increased volume...
Yukon Yellow
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
A real cautionary note there.... On a VW, if the fuel pump goes bad and gas dilutes the oil, you're at danger of burning up your bearings. I suppose it's the same on a Porsche if the engine is hydrolocked. Smell the oil for gas contamination & take note of any increased volume...
Yep. Oil dilution can really screw up an engine. Stop running it and change the oil.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
air fuel ratio , flooded , fuel , spitting