Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I'm not sure what the consensus is, other than is no consensus which is fine. So before closing out this thread, I will just ask one final kind of summary question (it's perhaps the only question I should have asked):

As a purely factual technical matter what internal metal engine parts would still wear out in 300,000 miles (500,000 km) even if one did change one's oil and filter absolutely unequivocally absurdly unrealistically "way too free frequently" such as EVERY SINGLE 100 MILES in warm climate, assuming a continuous 100 miles was driven every day without stopping on the highway?

Old 12-07-2016, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanemaestro View Post
I will check how much ZDDP there is and report back. There aren't too many options. There are some German oils available but they are double the price....can you imagine $80/gal?
What the board is saying is it far more important for the oil to have the proper zinc content (not common with modern oils) than overly frequent changing. If the German oil you have access to has the proper additive package for thes cars, it would make more sense to run twice as long between changes than using the $40 / gallon alternative which likely doesn't have what these engines need. Cheers
Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

The answer you are looking for is NO- changing the oil evey 700 miles will not reduce the amount of wear you will see. It isn't the oil or its zinc content that causes wear. You'll experience friction regardless of the age of the oil, particularly at startup, when the motor has no oil on most of its parts.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You cannot prevent piston ring and IMS plain bearing wear no matter how often you change the oil.

These 2 items from my experience wear very rapidly (assuming Nikasil).

Nearly everything else in a 911 engines wears much better than American iron.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
3000 mile oil change

I think the 3000 mile oil change was created years ago by the small oil change shops like Valvoline and Jiffy Lube and also car dealers. How many times over the years have you got oil change sales card in the mail from your regular car dealer saying change your oil every 3000 miles when the company that made your car says 12,000 to 15,000! In other words, it is all BS. If you change your 911 oil at 3000 miles, you are just tossing out really good oil. Kind of like folks who have swimming pools they never use. Just a hole in the ground you toss money into.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I found Prestone 20W-50 SM/CF for significantly less money. Comes in a gallon size Prestone coolant looking container! Prestone, although made in the good ol' USA according to the bottle, is only available in Malalysia, Taiwan, a few other countries and apparently this small crappy shop in rural Brazil....maybe he brought it in in his suitcase. CF is the Diesel designation which is now the obsolete designation apparently replaced by some other code. SM means that it's good for everything that SL and SJ used to be good for (from API Engine Oil Lubricant Specifications - oilspecifications.org), but nothing says anything about Zinc or ZDDP in the specs on the bottle that I can see:

SM Introduced on 30 November 2004 Category SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving. They may be used where API Service Category SJ and SL earlier categories are recommended.
SL 2001 Gasoline Engine Service Category SL was adopted to describe engine oils for use in 2001. It is for use in service typical of gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, sports utility vehicles, vans and light trucks operating under vehicle manufacturers recommended maintenance procedures. Oils meeting API SL requirements have been tested according to the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Product Approval Code of Practice and may utilize the API Base Oil Interchange and Viscosity Grade Engine Testing Guidelines. They may be used where API Service Category SJ and earlier categories are recommended.
SJ 1997 Gasoline Engine Service Category SJ was adopted in 1996 to describe engine oil first mandated in 1997. It is for use in service typical of gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, vans, and light trucks operating under manufacturers recommended maintenance procedures. Oils meeting API SH requirements have been tested according to the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Product Approval Code of Practice and may utilize the API Base Oil Interchange and Viscosity Grade Engine Testing Guidelines. They may be used where API Service Category SH and earlier categories are recommended.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
I think the 3000 mile oil change was created years ago by the small oil change shops like Valvoline and Jiffy Lube and also car dealers. How many times over the years have you got oil change sales card in the mail from your regular car dealer saying change your oil every 3000 miles when the company that made your car says 12,000 to 15,000! In other words, it is all BS. If you change your 911 oil at 3000 miles, you are just tossing out really good oil. Kind of like folks who have swimming pools they never use. Just a hole in the ground you toss money into.
I've believed this for 20 years....
Old 12-07-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Nick, what interval do you use?
I thought 7500 is the new accepted interval.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/your-money/11shortcuts.html
Old 12-07-2016, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage

I'm right there at about 7500.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
If you change your oil every 3000 miles, send it to me and I'll use it in my Toyota.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
frequency , motor , oil , oil changes