Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM911 View Post
I thought the RSA models only had about four or five possible options. Am I incorrect? Your list seems really long. You may have just found the four and are already done.
You are correct.

He has attached a build sheet, not an option sticker. Therefore it shows everything to make an RSA from a 964 shell. It includes many things standard for the RSA: sport seat left, sport seat right, airbag driver side, airbag passenger side, seats cloth, equipment for USA, 17" wheels, sport driveline (M030), 5-speed gearbox, manual steering, etc. etc.

A web search for "Porsche option codes" should yield a list with these numbers all in English.

I'm going to practice my German vocab and translate them (without cheating and using an aforementioned list)!

573 - Air conditioning system
650 - electrically adjustable sunroof
718 - Re-VIN to 1993 Model Year**

030 - Sport driveline
058 - bumpers with impact absorber
130 - English lettering
218 - F + R license plate bracket for U.S.A.
219 - Differential (normal, non-locking)
231 - Bridgestone/Michelin/Pirelli/Yokohama tires
323 - without ECE regulation label
383 - Sport seat left, electric
387 - Sport seat right, electric
403 - 17" Cup wheel
419 - rear storage system in place of rear seat
434 - instructions/manual for overseas operation
451 - Without radio
464 - Without spare tire air compressor
481 - 5-speed gearbox
484 - USA equipment (not Canada)
498 - without rear model designation*
504 - Coupe
553 - USA/Canada equipment
562 - Airbag driver and passenger
567 - green tinted upper windshield
576 - without rear foglight
602 - high-mount brakelight
656 - manual steering
912 - without model plate (this might be a TUV or European designation plate, not sure)
990 - front upholstery ssk (obviously the typical black cloth)

I don't know why the first three are grouped separately?

As we know, the four options on an RSA were the sunroof, radio, A/C, and LSD. This car has the sunroof, radio and A/C, but an open differential (highlighted in bold).

The other options were standard for a U.S.-market car (lights, etc.) or for an RSA (17" wheels, M030, etc.).

If you are missing the seats, they could be hard to come by in Sweden. While cloth is common in Europe, it is typically patterned or striped. However, the 968 CS, if delivered without the fixed back seats, came with comfort seats in upholstery identical to the RSA. They won't be sport seats, but they'll be the same material.

*Most cars may indeed have come off the boat without any badges affixed. However, as I recall, the badges (and decals) were in the trunk and in most cases were installed at the dealer. Few cars were delivered to the customer without any badges/decals.

**Under normal circumstances the car would be classified as a model year '92, as it was built in the first half of calendar year '92. This car is one of the 297 units built in early '92 and specially assigned to MY93.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 05-13-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Tnx French toast, very useful information.
I'd love to keep everything as original as possible, I'm leaning towards the sunroof delete though, cause 1. I like the non sunroof look much better 2. Weight 3. First glance what's out there to buy the sunroof assembly and then installing it looks very complicated with a ton of parts.(just first glance tho) but then again, original is original...not sure yet.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I've seen that many RSA:s have a third brake light, was that an option?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Jacksonville, Fl

Based on French Toasts list, it looks like the 'high mount brake light" was standard for US models.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aread View Post
Based on French Toasts list, it looks like the 'high mount brake light" was standard for US models.
Yes. Starting in 1986 I think all passenger vehicles were required to have a third brakelight. I think it was a few more years until light trucks needed them.

Correction: option M464 is "without tire inflator," for the spare. It looks like the car is optioned with A/C (M573).

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-15-2016 at 04:50 AM..
Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Fastest Hunk of Junk

I'm a diehard no sunroof guy (despite most of my cars always having had the stupid things), but I may have to agree with a previous poster about keeping this particular sunroof in, being a factory option on a very rare car... but that's only if I ever thought I'd sell.
'91 BMW M5
'10 Mini Justa (hers)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
Yes. Starting in 1986 I think all passenger vehicles were required to have a third brakelight. I think it was a few more years until light trucks needed them.
I think what he's saying is that there are two locations of 3rd brake light in 911s. Some are at the bottom of the rear windshield or on the spoiler, while others are high mounted, up at the ceiling, and this car came with the high mounted version.

Here are the two styles:

Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The high-mounted third brake light is another thing I'd get rid of. They block the view of following cars and, having lived with the things for 30 years, I hate them.

As for the value question with respect to originality, once you get to having to restore a car like this, the hit on value from losing an "original" sunroof is pretty meaningless in the long term.

JR
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aread View Post
Oh yeah your right, found an original rear window with brake light integrated in the window for small money. I'll grab that then.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
The high-mounted third brake light is another thing I'd get rid of. They block the view of following cars and, having lived with the things for 30 years, I hate them.

As for the value question with respect to originality, once you get to having to restore a car like this, the hit on value from losing an "original" sunroof is pretty meaningless in the long term.

JR
I think I'll go for the sunroof delete but keep the 3rd brake light tho. Car still on its way, not hundred percent how much of the sunroof still there, if a lot is there I'll keep it otherwise time to weld.

Last edited by Porscher; 12-15-2016 at 08:09 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Correction: option M464 is "without tire inflator," for the spare. It looks like the car is optioned with A/C (M573).
Yes it seems like that, that's perfect for me cause even though I'm buying a RS I'm not really a track guy, maybe this will get me there. Until then I'll wrestle the manual steering on the highway hopefully scaring some kids and old ladies with the growl. XP
Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnofx View Post
I think what he's saying is that there are two locations of 3rd brake light in 911s. Some are at the bottom of the rear windshield or on the spoiler, while others are high mounted, up at the ceiling, and this car came with the high mounted version.

Here are the two styles:

Yeah I've seen that neck thing 3rd light but not the integrated one before. Have had 2 911sc:s and 2 993:s before which had none of the above.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Error

Last edited by Porscher; 12-15-2016 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
*Most cars may indeed have come off the boat without any badges affixed. However, as I recall, the badges (and decals) were in the trunk and in most cases were installed at the dealer. Few cars were delivered to the customer without any badges/decals.
Is that the sticker under the trunkhood and paint codes you mean?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnofx View Post
While irrelevant for this car, I recall the Targas had the glass-mounted 3rd brakelight at the lower portion of the glass.

Maybe the tail gets in the way, but if it doesn't you could glue it on the bottom of the glass so as to not block vision but also not have the infamous UFO/snorkel/thing growing out of the tail.

Personally I would leave the roof alone, unless you know what you are doing with metal. The structure should probably be braced prior to any cutting and during installation of the new piece. Additionally, any welding you do removes the galvanization up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscher View Post
Is that the sticker under the trunkhood and paint codes you mean?
No, I'm fairly certain it refers to the plastic "RS America" badge on the decklid and the "RS" decals above the rear of the rocker panel.

Also, here's a site with some additional info: http://rsamerica.net/

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-15-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
No, it refers to the plastic "RS America" badge on the decklid and the "RS" decals above the rear of the rocker panel.

Oh i see, Really cool thing the history of these cars.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
I hate my 3rd brake light on the inside at the top.

As I am always looking for the next GT3 or Turbo to fly by me on the track, I have to tilt my head a little to get past it to take a peak behind me.

I thought about removing it, but there appears to be black paint on the glass around it.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 12-15-2016, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Personally I would leave the roof alone, unless you know what you are doing with metal. The structure should probably be braced prior to any cutting and during installation of the new piece. Additionally, any welding you do removes the galvanization up there.

RSAmerica.net: Home Page
I wouldn't say I'm a frequent welder, so maybe I have to rethink. There's some really nice panels to buy for the installation with instructions to the welder who needs to be skill level expertise apparently. I know you start from the midde of the roof and outwards to get the right curvature on the it but this is a task for a skilled welder I guess.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
My former RSA is in Europe now, or at least it was 9 years ago. My car? I don't think there are too many of them over there.
No this is located in the US
Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Anybody that can tell me about power windows on these cars? I've seen a couple with power windows but at some places it says that it didn't have that option. Anybody?

Last edited by Porscher; 02-14-2017 at 10:34 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: