Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Good for you my friend. Christmas can't get much better for you, congrats and welcome to the club.
Tim
Old 12-24-2016, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Great deal and a nice looking car.
I would suggest you try just lowering it to Euro height and then driving it for a while
before making any torsion bar swaps.
Once at the factory designed ride height vs the US regulated bumper height, it will drive and handle a lot better.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
You've obviously been a very good boy this year.
Merry Christmas and best of luck with your new ride.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Welcome! Glad it's going to be driven.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 12-24-2016, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
GreatTarga find

Great targa find, and wonderful story ,you will never forget .
Hope you really enjoy your targa for years.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

So, you basically paid for the targo top, the carrera tail, the H4 headlight upgrade, the fuchs and tires - and the seats. The rest of the car was practically free!

'06 911 S Aerokit - since 5/2/2016
'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
Old 12-24-2016, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2mny View Post
DougZ is correct. We have an late build '82 Targa (3rd owner / 39km) and NO option code sticker. Our '83 Cab DOES have the option code sticker.

KILLER find btw. Good for you!
Any idea how I can find out the factory options without purchasing the CoA? Theres no sticker in book like my 951 has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterair View Post
Living in Northern michigan you'll have all winter to get it roadworthy.
While you are doing the torsin bars, you might as well reinforce the mounts . You don't need to buy the kits , just some 1" angle iron and a good hand with the welder . Fab them yourself ,if you like that sort of thing -its satisfying imo.
Might as well rebuild your calipers and replace the brake lines with SS - also a satisfying and relatively cheap procedure.

Buy Waynes 101 projects book and the Bently manual ,which you should do before you lay a wrench on her .You can most likely get used ones over on the classified section -best $$ you will spend .
Very Nice find, enjoy !!
Its already road worthy. I got the car in early august & spent no time getting it back on the road. I put a thousand miles on it before putting it away in November. Brake rebuild, lines, & new tires are coming in early 2017. I will be purchasing those books but for the time being, I know my way around the car pretty well already & theres loads full of info on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsalsaman View Post
Well Merry Christmas to you! Awesome find and the car looks perfect on the pics, the color and interior look in very well condition! Great find and congrats!
Thank you! I'm loving every second of owning it.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Great deal and a nice looking car.
I would suggest you try just lowering it to Euro height and then driving it for a while
before making any torsion bar swaps.
Once at the factory designed ride height vs the US regulated bumper height, it will drive and handle a lot better.
I have considered this but I feel like I will want to be doing to torsion bars sooner or later. Would be better to just do it all at once instead of doing it a second time & getting a second alignment. I planned on doing torsion and sways at the same time. I'm not too worried about a "harsh" ride. Its not a daily & a stiff ride doesn't bother me too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
You've obviously been a very good boy this year.
Merry Christmas and best of luck with your new ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Welcome! Glad it's going to be driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne robson View Post
Great targa find, and wonderful story ,you will never forget .
Hope you really enjoy your targa for years.
Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
So, you basically paid for the targo top, the carrera tail, the H4 headlight upgrade, the fuchs and tires - and the seats. The rest of the car was practically free!
I was stoked when I saw the car already had H4's on it. It was a two owner car before me & the previous owner said they came on the car. There is a PCA sticker on the windshield so I believe it was enthusiast owned in the beginning of its life & he was the one to covert the headlights.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I took my 80 SC targa from stock to 21/27 t bars, bolt on bigger sway bars from an 86, had bilsteins rebuilt to sport specs on all 4 corners, and went with elephant racing poly bronze bushings. I used to DE the cars now only street, in hindsight I would have done a little less to stiffen up for street driving as I think it's a little uncomfortable for around town on a regular basis. I think for sure something besides polybronzs for bushings, they work well and are a great product but not for Houston streets imo.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Seems like miracles are still possible! At least around X-mas...
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Just wondering why you are so fixated on replacing the torsion bars?
Does the car not perform to your driving demands as it sits?
Old 12-25-2016, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackkTheMackk View Post
Any idea how I can find out the factory options without purchasing the CoA? Theres no sticker in book like my 951 has.
Porsche didn't start putting the stickers under the hood until the spring of 1983. The easiest way to figure out what options that you have is just to get familiar with what an '82 would have had stock and compare your car. There weren't that many options and they are pretty obvious when you start looking at the details of the car.

I can tell you that the headlights and spoilers have been added to the car since it was built.

JR
Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avr924 View Post
I took my 80 SC targa from stock to 21/27 t bars, bolt on bigger sway bars from an 86, had bilsteins rebuilt to sport specs on all 4 corners, and went with elephant racing poly bronze bushings. I used to DE the cars now only street, in hindsight I would have done a little less to stiffen up for street driving as I think it's a little uncomfortable for around town on a regular basis. I think for sure something besides polybronzs for bushings, they work well and are a great product but not for Houston streets imo.
Some people go with the lighter HD valving up front (where there is no weight) vs the stiffer Sport valving.

Here is a good thread on Digressive valving instead.
(revolve the ones you have)

I have a 30 rear bar and no complaints about comfort. I was surprised!

rebuilding bilsteins

and another

Attaining a comfortable street ride in a lightweight M491 with a 3.6

Bilsteins; always green?

Last edited by wayner; 12-25-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Old 12-25-2016, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats!!!! And you are going to be the envy of about half dozen guys on this forum looking for there first 911. What a story you are a lucky guy best of luck with it. Wow with the money you saved you can do anything to that car! And it doesn't look like it needs much. Lower it and drive it before you change the torsion bar. There's a rawness to the SC that just makes it a ton of fun to drive. Great color combo!!! But I'm biased. Get yourself a set of 8/16 Fuchs for the rear and move the 7s up front and roll the front fenders. Again good luck with it and drive it like ya stole it!!! You did!!!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
What do you elders think of this advice: "Get the car running, and before doing any mods and upgrades, drive it for a year and get to know the car. After that, you will know what to spend money fixing, and what not to waste your money on"
Old 12-25-2016, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I've seen too many guys take a drivable car and with a little optimism, turn it into a garage paperweight

Drive the thing.
Make a list along the way. Don't fix problems that don't exist
Old 12-27-2016, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I picked my 86 up few weeks back. Put about 400 miles on it and am going to continue to drive it while performing mods here and there. Drive it enjoy it. U only live once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Sweet score!

Old 12-27-2016, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Wow. 10k.

Nice to see another young guy on here. ��
Old 12-27-2016, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCole1122 View Post
I picked my 86 up few weeks back. Put about 400 miles on it and am going to continue to drive it while performing mods here and there. Drive it enjoy it. U only live once!

If ou decide to upgrade your sway bars let me know! I would love to get some '86 sway bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I've seen too many guys take a drivable car and with a little optimism, turn it into a garage paperweight

Drive the thing.
Make a list along the way. Don't fix problems that don't exist
This thing will not be a paper weight. It will see plenty of use on the road next year. Most likely more use than my 944 turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rywats View Post
Wow. 10k.

Nice to see another young guy on here. ��
I've been a big porsche junkie for a looong time. My dad had a 928S and I've had my 944 turbo for over two years. I got into them at a really young age, theres nothing like these classic cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
What do you elders think of this advice: "Get the car running, and before doing any mods and upgrades, drive it for a year and get to know the car. After that, you will know what to spend money fixing, and what not to waste your money on"
I have gotten to drive it a bunch & have had plenty of fun throwing it around, thats why I know I would like to upgrade the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 ssinit View Post
Congrats!!!! And you are going to be the envy of about half dozen guys on this forum looking for there first 911. What a story you are a lucky guy best of luck with it. Wow with the money you saved you can do anything to that car! And it doesn't look like it needs much. Lower it and drive it before you change the torsion bar. There's a rawness to the SC that just makes it a ton of fun to drive. Great color combo!!! But I'm biased. Get yourself a set of 8/16 Fuchs for the rear and move the 7s up front and roll the front fenders. Again good luck with it and drive it like ya stole it!!! You did!!!!!
I'm on the 944 forums constantly so I'm hoping to find some 8x16 fuchs on there. Definitely something I would love to get for this car.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: