Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Excellent work!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
What do you elders think of this advice: "Get the car running, and before doing any mods and upgrades, drive it for a year and get to know the car. After that, you will know what to spend money fixing, and what not to waste your money on"
At a month shy of 49, I don't know if that qualifies me as an elder, butt I do have decades worth of Porsche and wrenching experience and I am of the mindset that one should start modding them to one's tastes a soon as they are able, considering that 911s (all production cars, really) are so much better and more enjoyable when modded.

Of course, if it were my car, it would be getting turbo powaaaaa before anything else (who needs brakes and suspension anyway?!?! )!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
At a month shy of 49, I don't know if that qualifies me as an elder, butt I do have decades worth of Porsche and wrenching experience and I am of the mindset that one should start modding them to one's tastes a soon as they are able, considering that 911s (all production cars, really) are so much better and more enjoyable when modded.

Of course, if it were my car, it would be getting turbo powaaaaa before anything else (who needs brakes and suspension anyway?!?! )!
The turbo itch is fixed :-) Some chips in my 951 fill that void. Engine & transmission are staying bone stock with this car.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackkTheMackk View Post
. . . Engine & transmission are staying bone stock with this car.
That's a cryin' shame!

BTW - my brother has a somewhat modded 951 - surprising quick acceleration for a four farter, for sure!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
The '88 I picked up last fall sat in the garage for years as well. Had only 32,000 miles on the odometer so it took some work to get it back on the road. Pull the fuel sender and check the fuel tank. Mine was so rusty the local radiator shop said the only way to clean it was to cut it in half & sand blast it & weld it back up. I opted for a new tank & replaced the injectors as well. So check the tank & replace the fuel filter before it causes problems for you down the road. Don't blow the money you saved on upgrades you may not need. There are sure to be must-do repairs later on. Great find!
Yukon Yellow
Old 12-28-2016, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Best buy I have seen in years. Car looks great and was a steal. Curious, how old are you? This is quite a car.
1988 White SAAB Turbo Convertible
2002 Silver 4Runner 3rd gen
Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Congrats on the new very cool acquisition!

I did the reverse of you, bought my 911 12 years ago and just recently purchased a 951, which is now in pieces and being put back together.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Followed this story on Reddit. Love that you just drove around and finally asked the neighbor as well as made an offer. A lot of ways this could have ended. Glad you are here. See guys? There wre mellennials interested in cars!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
The '88 I picked up last fall sat in the garage for years as well. Had only 32,000 miles on the odometer so it took some work to get it back on the road. Pull the fuel sender and check the fuel tank. Mine was so rusty the local radiator shop said the only way to clean it was to cut it in half & sand blast it & weld it back up. I opted for a new tank & replaced the injectors as well. So check the tank & replace the fuel filter before it causes problems for you down the road. Don't blow the money you saved on upgrades you may not need. There are sure to be must-do repairs later on. Great find!
Was yours the red coupe? I pulled the motor the day after I got it home & went through everything. I did replace the fuel filter (which was super clean, showed no contaminants) & drained the tank. There was only a little over a gallon of fuel which was also clean. Filled up with fresh fuel & it started without an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irhmsd View Post
Best buy I have seen in years. Car looks great and was a steal. Curious, how old are you? This is quite a car.
22, I was 21 when I got it.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Followed this story on Reddit. Love that you just drove around and finally asked the neighbor as well as made an offer. A lot of ways this could have ended. Glad you are here. See guys? There wre mellennials interested in cars!
I was very persistent on finding this car :-) I am very interested in these cars & after buying/selling 9 cars in 5 years, I'm finally content with all the ones I have. None of them are going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Congrats on the new very cool acquisition!

I did the reverse of you, bought my 911 12 years ago and just recently purchased a 951, which is now in pieces and being put back together.
You'll love it! I don't plan on ever letting my 951 go. The car is an absolute blast to drive & its hard to stay off boost.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, mine is also guard's red. I wasn't crazy about the color at first, but in the year I've driven it, I've received more looks & thumbs-up than I got during the 15 years I owned the '85 white gold metallic 911. (It's in the Netherlands now).
That's quite a chick magnet... hope you're prepared to handle it at 22.

Yukon Yellow
Old 12-28-2016, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
Yes, mine is also guard's red. I wasn't crazy about the color at first, but in the year I've driven it, I've received more looks & thumbs-up than I got during the 15 years I owned the '85 white gold metallic 911. (It's in the Netherlands now).
That's quite a chick magnet... hope you're prepared to handle it at 22.

guards red & a targa aren't my first choices but they have really grown on me! I'm in love with it now. The car grabs a lot more attention than my 951. I followed your thread on another site, great story about you getting it & putting it back on the road. It's awesome seeing these things get put back on the road!

ZeroFuchsGiven.com
#ZeroFuchsGiven
Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Buy of the year!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

I was 17 with my first 911, so I think he is fine at 22 and appreciates it for what the car really is
Old 12-28-2016, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Snow melted & some rain got rid of all the salt on the roads the other day. Stretched her legs today & hosed it down just in case. First drive in over a month & the thing performs flawlessly. I daily a volvo 245 wagon so it was nice to drive the 911 again for a day. Put away until the spring now.

ZeroFuchsGiven.com
#ZeroFuchsGiven
Old 12-30-2016, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Try this next time you want to hose down your car. It's a game changer.
I have had my 911 for 3 years, and not once have I put a hose to it. It looks brand new.
Hosing the car just means faster rust. Totally unncessary unless you're off roading your 911. Trust me.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G3626-Ultimate-Anywhere-Spray/dp/B006FUT0CS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483210608&sr=1-1&keywords=wash+wax+anywhere
Old 12-31-2016, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Good for you! It's clear that you know what your doing and it's great to see that you like wrenching

I was your age when I picked up my first - 87 928 s4 5speed, and then followed it with an 914

Learned to wrench on the 914 and have been addicted ever since.

Do what ever You want on this car - it's yours
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

WELL DONE. Enjoy your great car.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Good news & bad news.

Good news is that I picked up an SQR 46 with the original users manual.

Also took apart the Blaupunkt Aspen 42 that came in my 911 and soldered in an aux cord so I can finally listen to music in the car.

Bad news

First time I filled the car up with gas I reset the trip to track my gas milage (I was not moving when I reset it, I know better than that), & it stopped working. My guess was it cracked so I ordered a new gear & went to fix it today.

First the speedo needle broke. I was SUPER fragile with it, it gave up very easily.

Also found out that they sent me the wrong gear after trying to put it on.
The white gauge faces are now explained. Seems the first owner had glued them over the original black faces. I prefer the black.

SOOOO, who is selling a speedo or nows where I can send mine off to get fixed?

ZeroFuchsGiven.com
#ZeroFuchsGiven
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

NHS North Hollywood speedometer North Hollywood Speedometer | NH Speedometer
Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: