Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 911 find.

I was told about a 911 that had been sitting in a garage for a few years only 5 minutes away from my house back in august. Turned out to be an '82 sc targa. Went over there just to check it out & see it in person & one thing lead to another & I struck up a deal with the owner & brought it home with me 2 days later. I got the car for a steal price. He was happy to see it go to someone as young as me to enjoy it & work on it. The car had sat since 2012 & had gathered quite a bit of dust to prove it. After checking the head studs, adjusting the valves, flushing all the fluids, I went started it & this car hasn't skipped a beat ever since. The car now has 81k miles, passed compression test & leak down test with flying colors, largely original clean paint, spotless interior, and lsd. Sadly the option sticker is not under the hood though. My plans are to lower it to euro ride height, some bigger sway bars & torsion bars (any suggestions for a street car?), M&K pre muffler and 1in1out, & a momo prototipo. Other than that, the car will stay bone stock. Perfect car to pair with my 944 turbo. Here are some photos of when I found it, trailered it home, and finally cleaned it up! A nice wax & the detail & the car looked new. Also a bonus photo of how happy I was when I got it. I'll be updating this thread with maintenance & I'm sure I'll have questions for all the 911 gurus on here in the future.
Enjoy!

Old 12-24-2016, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome !!
2000 Chevy 2500 tow-rig
#soyracer On Instagram - @soyracer
Old 12-24-2016, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoyRacer View Post
Awesome !!
Thank you! Its still kinda a "pinch me I'm dreaming" feeling but I'm stoked to have one. I've been a huge porsche fan since I was little & my father had a 928 S4. I grew up building cars, motorcycles, & vintage jet skis with him so this is just another fun car to wrench on with him. He is a little jealous of it
Old 12-24-2016, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
He should be jealous, you scored a great looking classic. Congrats
Old 12-24-2016, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Super Carrera Targa's rule!

Nice find! What part of Indiana are you? I'm just south of Louisville.
Porsche upgraded the sway bars in 86, that's a popular upgrade for earlier cars. Looks OE, just a little fatter, 3 or 4 mm if im not mistaken, I like mine, paired with 22 front 28 rear torsion bars, Bilstein sports. I believe that's one of the more popular street set ups that I found throughout the forum. I love it.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMitch View Post
Nice find! What part of Indiana are you? I'm just south of Louisville.
Porsche upgraded the sway bars in 86, that's a popular upgrade for earlier cars. Looks OE, just a little fatter, 3 or 4 mm if im not mistaken, I like mine, paired with 22 front 28 rear torsion bars, Bilstein sports. I believe that's one of the more popular street set ups that I found throughout the forum. I love it.
Chesterton/Valparaiso. Northwest Indiana, right on the dunes.

The car already has bilstein sport struts on it. I'll look into those '86 sway bars. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll be collecting parts for it this winter & be doing the torsion bars myself when spring comes & take it to a shop to do an alignment. Any brand you recommend for the 22mm & 28mm bars?
Old 12-24-2016, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wow your way up there. I used Elephant hollow bars, and they have a nice web site as well.., but theres several brands to choose from. There's a ton of suspension build threads on the forum to get the scoop on all of it. Happy wrenching!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Congrats. Looks great.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Congrats! Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? So, we could envy you even more
Old 12-24-2016, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshtog View Post
Congrats! Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? So, we could envy you even more
I had no intentions to purchase it when I went to go see it. I just wanted to see it & talk to a fellow enthusiast. Hell, I didn't even know where he lived other than a huge neighborhood. I rode my motorcycle around trying to peek in garages and almost gave up after 30 minutes. I stopped a random dude walking his dog andd asked if he knew where a red 911 was in the neighborhood. He pointed right behind him, I was right in front of his house. I knocked on the door, introduced myself, and just kinda asked about the car. He welcomed me in and to the garage. We talked cars for a while and he informed me about his stroke 3 years ago & hasn't been able to drive it since. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. He asked what I had to offer & I told him $10k, he replied "Its yours". Soooo I ran to the bank & back. 2 days later it was in my driveway.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Holy smoke what a deal. Thats what I gave for mine 6 1/2 years ago..
Old 12-24-2016, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats on the great deal on great car. I think Porsche started using option codes stickers under the hood sometimes in 1983 production. Nice find.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Banned for Life

Garage
Someone call the cops! There was a robbery.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I've had numerous offers for way more than I paid for it but this car isn't going anywhere. I didn't think i'd be able to afford a g series 911 for a long time but after one this sorted popped up for its price I couldn't pass it up.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Happy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackkTheMackk View Post
I've had numerous offers for way more than I paid for it but this car isn't going anywhere. I didn't think i'd be able to afford a g series 911 for a long time but after one this sorted popped up for its price I couldn't pass it up.
If you are "HAPPY", then, the car will be happy..........

Good luck,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 12-24-2016, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Flyin' blind

Garage
Great story, congrats! When you have it fully sorted you should take the PO for a spirited drive as a "thank you"
Welcome to the club!

1989 Carrera Coupe
1991 Volvo 240
Old 12-24-2016, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
Congrats on the great deal on great car. I think Porsche started using option codes stickers under the hood sometimes in 1983 production. Nice find.
DougZ is correct. We have an late build '82 Targa (3rd owner / 39km) and NO option code sticker. Our '83 Cab DOES have the option code sticker.

KILLER find btw. Good for you!
Old 12-24-2016, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Living in Northern michigan you'll have all winter to get it roadworthy.
While you are doing the torsin bars, you might as well reinforce the mounts . You don't need to buy the kits , just some 1" angle iron and a good hand with the welder . Fab them yourself ,if you like that sort of thing -its satisfying imo.
Might as well rebuild your calipers and replace the brake lines with SS - also a satisfying and relatively cheap procedure.

Buy Waynes 101 projects book and the Bently manual ,which you should do before you lay a wrench on her .You can most likely get used ones over on the classified section -best $$ you will spend .
Very Nice find, enjoy !!
Old 12-24-2016, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackkTheMackk View Post
I had no intentions to purchase it when I went to go see it. I just wanted to see it & talk to a fellow enthusiast. Hell, I didn't even know where he lived other than a huge neighborhood. I rode my motorcycle around trying to peek in garages and almost gave up after 30 minutes. I stopped a random dude walking his dog andd asked if he knew where a red 911 was in the neighborhood. He pointed right behind him, I was right in front of his house. I knocked on the door, introduced myself, and just kinda asked about the car. He welcomed me in and to the garage. We talked cars for a while and he informed me about his stroke 3 years ago & hasn't been able to drive it since. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. He asked what I had to offer & I told him $10k, he replied "Its yours". Soooo I ran to the bank & back. 2 days later it was in my driveway.
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by eshtog; 12-24-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Old 12-24-2016, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Well Merry Christmas to you! Awesome find and the car looks perfect on the pics, the color and interior look in very well condition! Great find and congrats!
06 BMW 330I
Personal Qoute: "Do whatever makes you feel good"
Old 12-24-2016, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: