Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

The car is looking really good Big Vern. Nice wheels make a lot of difference. I'm thinking of going back to Fuchs on the SC but will need to work out a spacer solution for the back.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Installed.....gonna have to raise the rear a tad.

'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 12-31-2016, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That is one handsome car....just right.
Cool to have another source to do proper Fuchs resto.
John in CT
Old 12-31-2016, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Looks fantastic Vern.

Did you / will you roll the fenders?

How much do you weigh personally? Can you go around a corner hard without rubbing? (This of course after you have raised the rear like you said)

Do you have a front mounted cooler? How much clearance between the 951 16X8 do you have there at the lines?

Can you do a back side picture straight on at the wheel to show camber? Aprox how much camber do you have?

The anodized wheel looks so good!

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 01-01-2017, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
There is no substitute.

Garage
Mr Tidy. Is your car a ROW car? bumperettes yet no marker lights? Rims are perfect for car and silver is so factory machine. Great taste sir!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
look great.....
Old 01-01-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Fastest Hunk of Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
Installed.....gonna have to raise the rear a tad.
NOOOOO! The answer is more camber!

The car and wheels look perfect
'91 BMW M5
'10 Mini Justa (hers)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Looks fantastic Vern.

Did you / will you roll the fenders?
No and I don't thing I will need to.

How much do you weigh personally? Can you go around a corner hard without rubbing? (This of course after you have raised the rear like you said)
That's a secret.....ok, 210 lbs.
I don't know about any cornering issues yet, I've never driven with these wheels. Soon though.

Do you have a front mounted cooler? How much clearance between the 951 16X8 do you have there at the lines?
I have a Carrera cooler in the front and there are no clearance issues at all.
For the rear, there is about 1/2 inch space between tire and oil lines. You need to make sure the lines are clamped tight to the body. In my case, I adjusted the elbow at the end of the line which tightened up the lines close to the body.

Can you do a back side picture straight on at the wheel to show camber? Aprox how much camber do you have?
I will soon, not home today. I currently have 2.5 degrees of camber in the rear.

The anodized wheel looks so good!
I plan to raise the rear about 1/2 inch. Look at the photo below and you will see why. Since I just re-did the rear control bushings, I still need to get the car aligned. You can't really tell in the photo but the toe is way out of spec. I haven't driven the car since I am in the middle of a wiring project (related to my electromotive) but I will definitely be getting aligned before the car is back on the road - about a month longer.

Not sure why this photo posts sideways but you can see my clearance issue:

'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 01-01-2017, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Yeow that is a bit close.
Vern, this is a great looking car. In the age of flare the narrow body still does more than hold its own. Once again the wheels done with the original factory finish really make the car pop even without flashy colors or chrome. I did the same exposed paddle finish on my '78 Targa.
Congrats on the car.
Rick
03 996 Turbo, '05 997 Cpe, 944 Full Race prep
PCA Member since 1971
Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Was curious about your weight because I just went through this with my bigger tires.

I tried several sizes because the Fuchs I bought came with SC fitment tires.

205/50 on 15 x 7 cookies, 205/50 on 16x7 fuchs, and 225/50 on 16x7 fuchs

The 225/50 on 16 x 7 911 Fuchs with all that camber sort of fit but the excessive camber bothered me.

So I switched to the 205/55 16 to the rear which fit with minimal camber.

So there exists an optimal area for wide tire vs tire height vs lowered rear height vs your personal weight.

My car is raked until I get in it.*I'm 238lbs -in my defense I'm stupid tall. Then with my weight, the car settles down and doesn't rub on hard acceleration. I did have to roll my back left side slightly.

Don't have it aligned until you really dial in the height as they can lower the car significantly while aligning and balancing it.

Really curious as to how it all pans out for you because I wanted to do the 951 16X8s on my car too.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Vern did you get the ride height with the big tires ironed out? Curious.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
That's fond- just deglaze

Garage
Very pleased!

Hi All- My 16 x 6/16 x 7's just came back from Rick- It was a 4 week turnaround time, they look great, and I also cannot say enough about his fantastic customer service!

Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Great post Jim. Thank you for the kind words and nice photos.

May you not ever have another missed approach.
Rick
PCA Member since 1971
Old 03-02-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
I just sent him one of my wheels last week and depending on the results I was going to send him the other four. Looks like I should just go ahead and send them. Those are incredible.

I will post before and afters of mine when they get done. Thanks for the thread
Old 03-02-2017, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Nice to know there is another quality option out there for Fuchs restoration.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My Fuchs look ******* Incredible!

Just got my wheels back from Rick. Fast, great price, great communication. Pics don't do justice to how great they look. Mounting them tomorrow. Fantastic, this service is highly highly recommended in my book!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Thank you for the post Jason. Nice to work with you.
Rick
PCA Member since 1971
Old 03-11-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Rick refinished one wheel for me after a tire shop gouged it (the others had been refinished by the PO not long ago, so I elected not to do them all). Turnaround time was about 3 weeks with shipping, and I'm really pleased with the result! Here's the before and after. I can't believe the gouges are undetectable now, even running a finger over the wheel.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Hi Autojack.
Thanks for thumbs up. We are lucky on this weld. I should tell others that need welding done that we use real Fuchs wheel material for welding not plain welding rods. That said we never know until the last restoration step if there will be some staining on top of the welded area. Usually it is not very visible but there is a chance there will be a slight mark like you would see if some water dried on the wheel over that spot.
PCA Member since 1971
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Looks great. I had mine done in Houston almost 20 years ago and still look great...from 10 feet. Polished rim and repainted. Looks like I got a bargain or its just a lot of inflation. The redo took a few days and cost $125 per wheel. I need a close up of the wheels.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: