Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
CIS WUR and Fuel Distributor -rebuild because of age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Who knows how clean everything is that you just put in. I'd run it with the old filter, then put a new one on in a week. Or, if it's on standby, put the new one in. What's $20 at this point in the journey?

I've got one on stand by, so I'll probably install it even though the one already in has less than 100 miles. Your right, not too worried about the cost of a filter. Like oil, it's cheap insurance.

And I have read on several different CIS posts regarding not messing with the system if it works, Pandora's box. Unfortunately, I've blown right through the 6 month CIS rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-16-2017 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel filter.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Kinda what I thought on the lifespan, however I never saw any indication of them being replaced. Seals yes, and I installed new intake sleeves when I addressed the "triangle". I inquired about new injectors to a Porsche buddy/shop owner and he said notes to worry. It's always been in the back of my thoughts. These things look original.

The WUR is all exposed due to the line replacement and I did drain the old fuel from the tank. I'll take a look at the fuel one like you mention, I'll see what I can gleen. That's also why I was also looking into a "pre" pump inline filter as well.

Thanks

Bugstrider,

Did you replace the fuel tank fuel filter after you drained the old gasoline? There is no need for a pre-FP in-line fuel filter. There is already one inside the gas tank. Install a new one or clean the old one very well before putting it back depending on the condition of the filter mesh.

If you know and understand how the CIS works, you could play around with them. Unfortunately, ignorance and lack of understanding how the components work is the main problem with some of today's DIY'ers.

Tony
Old 07-17-2017, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Here is one very important component to consider replacing! I am using my 1973.5T (first CIS) as the example of component replacement. I already within the last ten years replaced the cold start valve, WUR, injectors, air box, fuel lines, CDI unit, coil, fuel accumulator, spark plug wires, plugs, points, etc., and YET I found myself several times on the side of the road with a car that simply stopped!!!! What it was finally traced down too was the WIRE HARNESS from the CDI to the distributor/coil. Its a separate smaller harness that overtime looses resistance, overheats and fails to carry the current. So, when it comes time to replace fuel/CIS components on the older CIS cars, remember this little jewel and how much it plays in keeping your car running and in top shape. These wire harnesses for the three pin CDI are available for a five minute R&R. A necessary replacement..............

Bob
73.5T
Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Bugstrider,

Did you replace the fuel tank fuel filter after you drained the old gasoline? There is no need for a pre-FP in-line fuel filter. There is already one inside the gas tank. Install a new one or clean the old one very well before putting it back depending on the condition of the filter mesh.

If you know and understand how the CIS works, you could play around with them. Unfortunately, ignorance and lack of understanding how the components work is the main problem with some of today's DIY'ers.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Nozzir, I haven't replaced the fuel tank filter....yet. I have to order a 22mm hex bolt since I can't find a local source, as well as order a new filter along with injectors. In talking with Glenn at Pelican, he suggested the pre-pump inline filter which I hadn't concidered. I installed one in an old 66 VW I tricked out before the electric pump. To be totally honest, I'm not really sure why I hadn't considered the in tank filter, yet. Blinded by all the other shenanigans going on with the car I guess.

As a DIYer, I understand the principles of the CIS but I feel at my current skill level, I lack the knowledgeable skill set to crack into it without causing some type of additional issues. If I could only find a local CIS Yoda when that time comes. Since the car has been sitting, I was unsure about taking the time to refresh/clean the WUR since from what I've researched, can cause several different issues. What I don't know is if I can really screw it up if I do something wrong by my lack of WUR expertise and the case of "had I known" syndrome. LOL
Does anyone offer WUR overhaul services?

When I started the suspension refresh, the car ran fine, however since its been a bit, I hope the system comes back on line without too much trouble.

Cheers Trevor

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-17-2017 at 07:42 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
Here is one very important component to consider replacing! I am using my 1973.5T (first CIS) as the example of component replacement. I already within the last ten years replaced the cold start valve, WUR, injectors, air box, fuel lines, CDI unit, coil, fuel accumulator, spark plug wires, plugs, points, etc., and YET I found myself several times on the side of the road with a car that simply stopped!!!! What it was finally traced down too was the WIRE HARNESS from the CDI to the distributor/coil. Its a separate smaller harness that overtime looses resistance, overheats and fails to carry the current. So, when it comes time to replace fuel/CIS components on the older CIS cars, remember this little jewel and how much it plays in keeping your car running and in top shape. These wire harnesses for the three pin CDI are available for a five minute R&R. A necessary replacement..............

Bob
73.5T

Thanks Bob,

I'll be sure to check it out. Does the same apply for the 6 pin variant?

Cheers Trevor

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-17-2017 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:

Bob
73.5T
Really good to know. Where did you buy the harness?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

There is a Porsche parts shop called ************ in Arizona that fabricates the CDI wire harness, offers the perfect replacement ignition coil and rebuilds the three and six pin CDI units with updated digital components. I purchased the coil (black like original) and the wire harness and have had excellent results with both. Unlike the crap silver Brazilian made coils, this particular coil offered is superior! The wire harnesses come complete with the three or six pin CDI mated fitting, all associated wires for a simple R&R. The wire harness made all the difference in the world for keeping me on the road (my Saturday morning drive).

Bob
Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
There is a Porsche parts shop called ************ in Arizona that fabricates the CDI wire harness, offers the perfect replacement ignition coil and rebuilds the three and six pin CDI units with updated digital components. I purchased the coil (black like original) and the wire harness and have had excellent results with both. Unlike the crap silver Brazilian made coils, this particular coil offered is superior! The wire harnesses come complete with the three or six pin CDI mated fitting, all associated wires for a simple R&R. The wire harness made all the difference in the world for keeping me on the road (my Saturday morning drive).

Bob

Bob,

Since the Forum blocked out the name of the shop, can we assume the shop's owner's name is Kurt and it's located in Flagstaff, AZ?

Cheers Trevor

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I sent Sal a message with that same information! Kurt does a super job on the coil, CDI and wire harnesses, which I can personally attest to. After trying several of the silver Brazilian coils that failed after a short run, Kurts "black" coil he manufactured has been excellent, as too the wire harness, which was an easy R&R. This guy deserves an award!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
The '73 and earlier CDI harnesses are really easy to swap out in a couple of minutes as they are a stand alone harness.

The '74 and up 3 and 6 pin CDI harnesses require a fair bit more work as they must be spliced into the original engine harness.

I have been known to build them for people as well as some other suppliers.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Bugstrider,

Did you replace the fuel tank fuel filter after you drained the old gasoline?

Tony

New tank filter and seal should be here tomorrow.

In today's mail

And why do we clean or replace these class????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Filter looks beat!!!! When I had my fuel tank refurbished I went ahead and replaced the filter and gasket. Go ahead and replace. CIS needs clean fuel and this filter is the first defense against particulate before the engine compartment filter. Some CIS owners have even installed a filter in-line before the engine compartment filter to ensure clean fuel. DO NOT skimp on this one, Change it! Do not forget a new gasket.

Bob
73.5T/CIS
Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

To demonstrate where the filter is inside the CIS tank, take a look at the cutaway photos. The fuel is directed into the swirlpot and stabilized by the baffle (CIS tanks only). Debris accumulates inside the swirlpot and must enter the filter before directed via pump to the engine compartment filter. By the way NEVER COAT the internals with REDCOTE!!!! That swirlpot is the same material as your distributor and this coating will not adhere to it over time. It will flake off and clog the filter and leave you dead on the road without a clue!!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage

Hi Bob

Thanks for those pictures, those help me understand the flow.

Christmas in July, Woot! Woot!

Oh boy.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-20-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Reiver

As long as you know it is working to spec.....I thought my WUR was until I put an AFR gauge in place. It leaned way out on serious acceleration....it had been compensated for by enriching the fuel head. Runs so much better when operating to spec.
The fuel head is pretty obvious ...plugs/drip test....
Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: