Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Minimalist

Garage
My three wild guesses on the gold shim looking thing:
-A shim to adjust the decklid height between the arms and the decklid? -edit doesn't look long enough.
-Something to do with plug wire tie downs?
-Part of the plastic pieces that hold the fuel lines coming up the left side of the engine bay.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 01-04-2017 at 04:37 AM..
Old 01-04-2017, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Always Be Fixing Cars

That gold piece looks sorta like the thing that retains the plugs for the three motronic sensors (speed, reference and... I forgot) on the drivers side of the motor. Maybe not.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I'll check those things and see if we have a piece that fits. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
AAV ?

Definitely not too much oil in the tank. With as much as it was leaking/burning, it was always about a quart low. And i mean a qt. under the preferred middle mark.
Ambient Air Valve

Yours should be metal for your year.

As far as the oil, how does the TOB look and the hoses from the oil tank?
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 01-04-2017, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Ahh, yes. i know the exact hose and where that goes then. I think we left the engine end connected, and it got pulled off in the lowering. It was disconnected at the valve end. I remember doing that one.

The TOB (throw out bearing i presume) felt fantastic, the pilot bearing is completely shagged along with the throw out bearing arm thingy. I'm considering reusing the clutch (rubber hub) and the slave is leaking now that its out.

Hoses from the oil tank.... The S hose i think is fine, the two others at the top are even softer and more pliable.

Tonite i got the fan off, but cannot get the alternator out of the housing. Does it come out ? Or is it part of the housing ?

Also took the lower valve covers off, and checked the head bolts on one side, none loose so i assume that means they aren't broke. Other side look tight too.

You about done with that Yoke ?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, the alternator has a number of nuts (5 or 6) attached on the backside of the fan housing. If you haven't done so already you need to remove the bolt holding the housing tie down strap, and remove any bolts along the topside of the housing joining it with the fiberglass shroud. To make assembly easier take photos of the backside of the alternator before disconnecting the electrical wires.

Regards,
David
Old 01-05-2017, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
Yes, the alternator has a number of nuts (5 or 6) attached on the backside of the fan housing. If you haven't done so already you need to remove the bolt holding the housing tie down strap, and remove any bolts along the topside of the housing joining it with the fiberglass shroud. To make assembly easier take photos of the backside of the alternator before disconnecting the electrical wires.

Regards,
David
Definitely this, and I used a permanent marker to mark wire colors on the alternator itself BLU - BLK - RED- BWN as I removed the wires. Close up pics of the terminals is helpful as well. You think you will remember but you wont The terminals have multiple nuts and washers that the order can get goofed up and could spell disaster as seen in another recent thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
my Bad, I meant TB ( Throttle Body )

Good on the first signs on the head stud nuts, make sure you soak the heck out of them and given them several taps before breaking them loose. Lower are most likely Devilars so be ready.

Sorry still using the Yoke :-(
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 01-05-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Yea, i have the housing off, and the Alt with shroud in my lap. I did take pics, but after taking the wires off, i don't see how you could get them mixed up. Each has a different size eyelet.

Anyway, searching shows removing the Alt. from the shroud can be a challenge. I've started soaking the area where it meets the shroud in penetrating oil, and will try the drop onto 2x4 method tonite.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
my Bad, I meant TB ( Throttle Body )

Good on the first signs on the head stud nuts, make sure you soak the heck out of them and given them several taps before breaking them loose. Lower are most likely Devilars so be ready.

Sorry still using the Yoke :-(
Thanks Jim, Throttle body looks okay. (what am i inspecting it for ?) Anyway, it seemed normal to me.

I'll start hosing down the head bolts, and see what happens.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Smoove1010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Any cool fixes for the deteriorating insulation from this wiring ? It's literally crumbling apart. I figure i'll slit some appropriate vacuum line and recover it. Thoughts ?
It's easy for us all to spend your money, but I'd suggest swapping those sensors out for new ones - it's what I did during my drop & top-end project. The crumbling insulation is a sign of age and many heat-cycles, a bad sensor can strand you, and these are a whole lot easier to swap out with the engine down. You'll find that there's a BMW version (12-14-1-708-619-M14) of the reference sensor from our host (Bosch brand) that is, for some odd reason, half the price of the part indicated for the 911 (911-606-215-01-M14). Another $-saving tip I learned from this invaluable forum...

'84 - '88 Carrera cheap(er) DME speed and reference sensors available

I loved doing this project and I'd love to do another, but until then I'll watch you enjoy yours!

Good luck,
GK
Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove1010 View Post
It's easy for us all to spend your money, .....
Man, ain't that the truth !

Thanks GK for the heads up on the BMW part. I'll give it a look.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
^^^, I have a BMW set, NIB, $132.00. let me know.

TB, was wondering if you have oil in it. If Clean then the oil in the intake valve is most likely from leaking valve seals/guides. Sowwy to write.
PCA/POC
Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
As a stop-gap measure in dealing with my speed and reference sensor wires where the insulation was falling off, I used liquid tape to "paint" the wires to help keep them insulated. Looked like heck & you could probably use something like RTV silicone to coat the wires if you're concerned.
I did replace mine with the BMW sensors because as Smoove says, if the insulation is crumbling off, just replace the sensors. Who wants to get stranded? Easy swap as long as you don't have to remove the bracket...
Yukon Yellow
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Always Be Fixing Cars

Bigtime +1 on replacing all the sensors including the CHT. Then if you have any idle, running, misfire etc issues down the line you know you have a solid foundation to your Motronic system and need to look for culprits elsewhere. Do not however do what I did (and quickly remedied) and swap the plugs for the speed and reference sensors when reconnecting.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Yep, just ordered the crank sensors today. ( i take it they are both the same ?) I get a pretty good deal on them thru my work, $50 each.

Question on the cyl. head temp sender...... research here shows to update it with the 2 wire version. Does the connector at the harness have another terminal for the second wire ? Where does the second wire go ? I understand it is an additional ground, but is the rest of the harness ready for that 2nd wire ?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Yes, the same, just mark the old one's with paint. I like Red for Reference Sensor, ,ark the same on harness side.

As far as the CHTS, yes Harness accommodates for a 2 wire, yes it is addition ground thru the harness.
PCA/POC
Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Yes, the same, just mark the old one's with paint.ground thru the harness.
Thanks Jim, why mark with paint ? I plan on tossing the old ones, plus they don't have any insulation left. Won't be hard to tell which is which.

Maybe i misunderstood your meaning...
Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Sowwy, I meant the new wires. Mark the reference connections in red. If you mix the connections, car will not start.
PCA/POC
Old 01-06-2017, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I follow you now. Makes sense and although i'd have had a 50-50 chance of getting it right, .... i know i'd have gotten it wrong. LOL
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: