Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone running Wilwood or AP Racing calipers

I have a 1980 911sc and I'm curious to see what caliper options people are running. My calipers need a rebuild but i also like the idea of having brand new Wilwood 4 pots.

I have seen it done, looking for info to do the same. Such as model number of calipers, if a need an adapter, rotors, pads, lines etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, new to the Porsche scene and trying to learn all i can.

Thanks Pelicans!

-TJ
Old 01-04-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I run these on my vw bus with 911 slotted/vented rotors with 8x16 3 pc. Fuchs.
Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Caliper Product Number: 120-11137
Old 01-04-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Harold are those Turbo rotors?

Also are you using an adapter or is that a "bolt on". Do you have to machine the rotors?

Those almost look like they would fit under 15" fuchs

Thanks
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.

Last edited by Elombard; 01-04-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

911, not turbo rotors. No adapter, no machining. The 3.5" spacing is the same as a 911. Looks like about 1.5" from the outside of the rotor to the inside of the wheel. Not sure if you would need a spacer to center the caliper over the rotor. The caliper model is based on the rotor width and diameter range. It looks like they would clear a 15" wheel, but you may need a spacer to move the wheel out like the 930 calipers with 15's.
You would need to look at the Wilwood site to see which caliper works with the 930 rotor if that's what you wanted to use.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
I looked at Wilwood's site recently and just checked again to make sure I wasn't crazy. They show no brake kits available for any 911 that I could find. I tried 83, 84 & 89 model years with SC, Carrera and 930 variations. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Is that their Forged Superlite caliper?

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.

Last edited by tirwin; 01-05-2017 at 04:27 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Running a racing caliper which doesn't have dust seals on the street isn't a great idea.

When run on a track car they are rebuilt and attended to frequently.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Yes, it's their forged superlite. There is no kit. Caliper choice is based on rotor diameter and thickness. The caliper I used works with the 911 rotor.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thats not a 911 spindle I guess?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My '72 has Wilwood calipers on the front (bought it that way). Don't know what model or what rotors are being used. I can take photos if needed.

Steve
Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A bus disk brake spindle with a 912 hub. Not sure why that matters. I use to run a smaller Wilwood caliper that worked with the 912 solid rotor. On the back, I run a Wilwood caliper with a turned down Boxster rotor.
I know there are other guys running the Wilwood calipers on their 911's, maybe they will post some photos.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I would ideally like to run the wilwood calipers with the stock size 911 sc calipers. Anyone running this setup? Also what measurements would I need to take into consideration to order the right caliper? I know the mount will need to be 3.5in but other dimensions I'm unsure off.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
My '72 has Wilwood calipers on the front (bought it that way). Don't know what model or what rotors are being used. I can take photos if needed.

Steve
Photos would be greatly appreciated. Might have a series number on the rotor to refenrece what rotors are used
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

TJ

Why? The main reason to change brakes is for increased thermal capacity. If you are running the same discs its purely cosmetic.

At a minimum you can upgrade to the 84-89 Carrera discs with the Willwood - a little thicker but I am not sure I would bother.

I am pretty sure there is one style of caliper that is available with 3.5" bolt spacing, the only difference after that is rotor width accommodation. To run the Carrera discs you would want the same caliper that Harold used. otherwise look up the spec for the thickness of the SC disk and see if they have a caliper with that range.

One other issue will be brake balance, when you change the piston sizes the proportion of pressure front to rear changes and it will be un safe and uncomfortable if not near stock. This has to be accounted for with a proportioning valve added to the system or a change in master cylinder. This can probably all be worked out with some work....but its a lot of work with no thermal advantage? So in my mind it only becomes worth it if you can run larger turbo size rotors...which is also not straight forward, i.e. two piece rotors and custom hats.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Also consider your replacement rotor options when doing a brake system upgrade.

The further you stray from center,the more you are locked into a specific caliper mfgrs' replacement rotors. Some brake caliper have limited "off the shelf "rotor options.for instance if you want to move from a x drilled to a gas vented rotor ,it may not be available .
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
porsher

Garage
As an alternative how about 996 brakes? Rebel racing makes a very nice kit.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
TJ

Why? The main reason to change brakes is for increased thermal capacity. If you are running the same discs its purely cosmetic.

At a minimum you can upgrade to the 84-89 Carrera discs with the Willwood - a little thicker but I am not sure I would bother.

I am pretty sure there is one style of caliper that is available with 3.5" bolt spacing, the only difference after that is rotor width accommodation. To run the Carrera discs you would want the same caliper that Harold used. otherwise look up the spec for the thickness of the SC disk and see if they have a caliper with that range.

One other issue will be brake balance, when you change the piston sizes the proportion of pressure front to rear changes and it will be un safe and uncomfortable if not near stock. This has to be accounted for with a proportioning valve added to the system or a change in master cylinder. This can probably all be worked out with some work....but its a lot of work with no thermal advantage? So in my mind it only becomes worth it if you can run larger turbo size rotors...which is also not straight forward, i.e. two piece rotors and custom hats.
not worried about thermal capacity one bit, mainly doing it for ease of swapping for brand new calipers as mine are used and have been sitting for some time. Have always loved wilwoods and wanna just have something a bit different than stock.

Calipers need replaced anyways and wilwood makes great stuff at affordable prices so to me is right up my alley.

Car won't see the track or anything crazy, just fun weekend cruising around town
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston@ultrasw.c View Post
As an alternative how about 996 brakes? Rebel racing makes a very nice kit.
I have looked into this but if there is a compatible wilwood id opt for it. Cost is cheaper per caliper plus no need for an adapter to run them.

Just my opinion of course
Old 01-05-2017, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
There is a Wilwood superlite caliper that can work over a Carrera front rotor. It may be an option if you don't need a bigger rotor and thermal capacity. Just pay attention to F/R balance. See this post:
SC Brake Upgrade ??

Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

You can always swap out the stock rear caliper with a corresponding Wilwood to match the front. With my first Wilwood up grade I talked to tech support about the appropriate rear caliper.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hey Fellas,

I called a good friend at Wilwood today and told him us air cooled guys are ready for a kit and it must fit under 15's. It's now being discussed. I'll keep you guys updated!

I've used Wilwood on all my vehicles since the late 90's.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: