Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
I had to replace the tank on my low mileage '88 because it sat in a garage so long it developed rust on the interior. I can scrape some of the coating off the tank and send it to you if you want. I remember taking some coating to the hardware store to get a good color match for the new tank.
jlex- thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it. I will PM or email my address.

Thanks.

DRC
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Onboost and Joefranz- I more or less agree with you as I do with Javadog. There is no doubt that the color changes for some reason. I believe mostly due to staining for a number of reasons. However, I am not convinced the tanks were a pure grey for lack of a better term as opposed to a grey beige or a taupe with an emphasis on Grey. That is my personal opinion. Again, my memory is leaning toward the last photo in my original post which shows more grey than tan but not as grey as the tank in Joefranz's photo.

As for who made the original sks/shutz. I don't know. I have been told by several sources that I would consider reliable as it being supplied to Wurth by U-pol. But I wouldn't swear to it in a court of law.

I am using U-pol because it is very similar in characteristics to the original coating in several ways. It dries hard but remains flexible and has similar build up and is solvent based. It is also readily available at my local jobber. I can get it in white so I can easily tint it to the color I want. So the color goes all the way through no need to top coat and if scratched you do not see a different base color. I can also get grey and black so I can mix the three if I wish to create what I wish.

Jlex made a nice offer to supply a sample off his old tank. I am going to take him up on his offer. If you all like I will be happy to post my custom mixed U-pol for anyone that is interested.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I researched this a while ago. Apparently Colorplus makes a "Porsche gas tank gray". I ordered 8 oz. of their water based product. It goes on over the textured surface very well with a cheap brush. It looks great. It's a pretty neutral gray; not beige, not bluish. Low gloss durable surface. Only downside is cost: $55 shipped. Does one or two tanks.

https://colorplus.com/index.php?s=gas+tank

Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT

Last edited by DaveMcKenz; 01-14-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-14-2017, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Here is why I am not totally convinced. First let me state I do not think the body coating and the tank coatings started as the same color. Second let me state I am not saying they are exactly the same product. But I believe the body coating and tank coating are very similar to each other. That is to say I think the products are very similar in their chemical make up and characteristics.

The below sample was taken out of the right rear wheel well near the door post of my 74. Again, lighting and the computer monitors play a part in the color you see so try and factor that in.

The top photo is the surface exposed to the elements. In this sample the left side of the sample cleaned with a product called Totally Awesome which also degreases. The right side is as it was when removed. The bottom photo is the back side of the same sample. Clearly the exposed surface has been stained dirt, grime, etc. I think this is similar to what occurs to the tank.

That being said the back side of the sample is a taupe color. Sort of grey sort of tan.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Here's a picture of the Colorplus gray:

Dave
2001 996TT
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I don't know if it's the same material as what is on the tank. The taupe color on the back side of your sample is not consistent throughout. Maybe there was some light flash rust on the steel that transferred to the material.

All I can tell you is that on every 911 I've owned (and it's a bunch of them, including several from new) the tanks start out a gray color, with no hint of taupe or tan.

Whether you decide to paint yours "as-new" or "with patina" is entirely up to you.

JR
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Good job, that really looks good.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I don't know if it's the same material as what is on the tank. The taupe color on the back side of your sample is not consistent throughout. Maybe there was some light flash rust on the steel that transferred to the material.

All I can tell you is that on every 911 I've owned (and it's a bunch of them, including several from new) the tanks start out a gray color, with no hint of taupe or tan.

Whether you decide to paint yours "as-new" or "with patina" is entirely up to you.

JR
JR, I don't know what I am doing that's why I am researching. Sorry if it seems I am doubting you. None of the 911's I have owned were new so I don't have that point of reference. I am going by memory and a bunch of inconsistent internet photos. Your in put has been helpful.

As for the inconsistency on the back of the sample. That is the stain from the other side coming through the thinner sections of material.

Trust me I hope you are correct and I eventually conclude it should be grey. Grey is an off the shelf color with U-pol.

Last edited by drcoastline; 01-14-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 01-14-2017, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
jlex- thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it. I will PM or email my address.

Thanks.

DRC
Sample is in the mail...
Yukon Yellow
Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Not sure this is going to help much, but I said I'd take some photos of my tank. White balance carefully adjusted, against the white piece of paper you can see in some of the images.

First is the topside. The extra discoloration around the spare tire is really obvious.

The underside probably gives the best clue of original color. The part exposed to the road is pretty badly stained. I washed it, but there is also some road tar on there. Started to clean it up with mineral spirits, but I haven't finished. The light gray around the perimeter of the underside is the part of the tank protected by the front pan. That's probably pretty close to the unmolested original color.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Salvetti; 01-17-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

It sure does help Mark, Thanks. The edge of the tank where the weather strip would lay does appear to be a light grey as javadog has been saying.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

True, although I've hit that with a wire wheel to remove rust. So that's probably more the color of the schutz - too white. You can also see where I wire-wheeled some of the rust spots elsewhere on the tank, the edges are white where I cut into the coating.

Mark
Old 01-17-2017, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I guess that's what I am looking at? These are white not grey?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Maybe a little touch of gray, but mostly white. I wouldn't go by that.

I'm referring to the larger gray expanse that surrounds the central "hump" with the tank strainer. I have only washed that area, didn't hit it with any abrasive.

Mark
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Yesterday I received the sample in the mail from fellow Pelican Jlex. Thanks Jlex this was a great help.

Per Jlex this is a sample taken from an original 1988 tank. As Javadog has been saying this coating is clearly grey in color. My car is a 1974, I am not sure if the color remained consistent from 74-89? But lacking a sample from a 1974 tank I am going to match this sample.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

The photos of tanks that I posted were all from original cars I've owned and one of them pre-dated your car. I think the color was very consistent over the years; the application varied quite a bit. Some of the photos I posted were taken in natural light and some with flash, so there was a little variation attributable to that.

I'd suggest that you match the front side of the sample you have, after you have carefully cleaned it. It looks a little darker than it should and the reverse side is nowhere near the correct color.

I think if you were to track down some of the material I posted links for, you might find it's the right color right out of the tube.

Up to you...

JR
Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Dr.
I have been through this several times before. Matching to sample, will in fact, match the dirt, oxidation, fading, staining or whatever other processes the sample has seen. You can try to eliminate some of these factors, but you probably won't eliminate all of them.
I would choose any of the samples you like, including plain upol gray which probably is close to the as painted appearance, and enjoy your choice. Since the tank discolors in a non-uniform way, you will probably never have a truly "authentic" look anyway.
Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Please let us know how your source the paint.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Javadog- Thank you for all your input and help. I will do some research on the Tereson

DaveMcKenzie- My original plan is to lighten the U-POL Grey with some U-Pol white to a reasonable facsimile of the color. I know I won't be able to match perfectly. I am just trying to get reasonably close.

sugarwood- This will not be painted. It will be pigmented Shutz,SKS similar to the OE product.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
I have tried this with a mix of white/grey Graivitex to find a simple solution. I didnt keep the samples that we made but this is the easiest way to get something that looks acceptable. Here are a few observations I made. The finish will be flat, and the factory finish was more semi-gloss, also there is some blue tint to get the factory color right and theres just no combination of grey/white that will get you there. You can either spray a semi-gloss on top, or live with the flat finish. 962Porsche has written about this in the paint & bodywork forumn and sounds like having someone custom tint the gravitex with enamel is the only way to get the color and gloss right. I'm going to take some Grey Gravitex to a paint store soon to see what they can do and try that. Someone really needs to make a product for this...
Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: