Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
French Import

Garage
Looking at 993 convertible top for my 86 Cab

Question for those who replaced their top with the 993 top made for the 911 and 964.
How complicated was the installation?
Where did you get your top from? I know Cabrioworld makes one, but there may be others.
Would you choose the 1 piece top or the original 2 piece style if you had to do it again?
I read quite a few threads on the 2 piece installation top but found no instructions for the 993 top...
TIA

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate
Old 01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
So far I found these 2 vendors:
Cabrioworld
GAHH

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate
Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Bump...
Anyone?

Old 01-26-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
NorCal 96 C2

Garage
autoseatsandtops on eBay

I installed this on my 993 a few years ago. Fit and quality was excellent. They sent ok directions with the top. Great price. The install took about 20 hours.
Porsche-911-993-CARRERA-CABRIO-95-98-CONVERTIBLE-TOP
Old 01-26-2017, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Canyon View Post
autoseatsandtops on eBay

I installed this on my 993 a few years ago. Fit and quality was excellent. They sent ok directions with the top. Great price. The install took about 20 hours.
Porsche-911-993-CARRERA-CABRIO-95-98-CONVERTIBLE-TOP
Thanks, that helps some, however the top I need is 993 "style" for earlier models since my car is not a 993, and I am curious as to how the top will attach to the rear bow (that is where the original 2 pieces were glued together. Does the 1 piece have a flap to be screwed on and glued? A picture would help me understand.
Thanks!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have no advice to offer, but I am curious. Are you interested in the 993 style because of the looks? I have always felt that the 993 style top looks out of place on a 80s era cabriolet, but that's just my opinion. Wondering if you have another motivation to consider the 993 style.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

French Import

Garage
It is pretty much because I prefer the more modern look, especially as my wheels came from a later model as well. I was never crazy about the 2 piece top...

Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I installed a 993 style top on my 964. IIRC I ordered it from cabrio world, and it came in a GAHH box. Installing a top isn't rocket science, but it is a little different than most mechanical type repairs. I've seen quotes upward of $1000 to do a top which is just rediculous, I think I could do one in a day.

The 993 style top lays across the main bow, and has no flap to attach it similar to the way the early top does. I glued it to the bow, but later decided I didn't like how sharp the crease was when folded, so I removed the glue, and it just floats on top of the bow now.

The most important thing to get right is the rearmost attachment below the rear window. Getting it stretched side to side tightly is very, very important to having a tight rear window. It's a four handed job. Also, the rear needs to be positioned so that the back of the top lays down tightly against the body, if it is put together in a neutral position, when the top is stretched tight, the back will raise up. Hard to explain, but self explanatory when you see it.

I much prefer the 993 style, looks sleeker to me.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
I installed a 993 style top on my 964. IIRC I ordered it from cabrio world, and it came in a GAHH box. Installing a top isn't rocket science, but it is a little different than most mechanical type repairs. I've seen quotes upward of $1000 to do a top which is just rediculous, I think I could do one in a day.

The 993 style top lays across the main bow, and has no flap to attach it similar to the way the early top does. I glued it to the bow, but later decided I didn't like how sharp the crease was when folded, so I removed the glue, and it just floats on top of the bow now.

The most important thing to get right is the rearmost attachment below the rear window. Getting it stretched side to side tightly is very, very important to having a tight rear window. It's a four handed job. Also, the rear needs to be positioned so that the back of the top lays down tightly against the body, if it is put together in a neutral position, when the top is stretched tight, the back will raise up. Hard to explain, but self explanatory when you see it.

I much prefer the 993 style, looks sleeker to me.
That is great info, thank you! If you happen to have any pictures I would be happy to see them.
Reading several posts did reveal the importance on "starting right" at the rear attachment.
I kept the old top that I just removed so I can figure where holes need to be made to attach to the 11 studs. My lovely assistant/wife will be my second set of hands for the stretching.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
I need some guidance from pelicans who installed the 993 top on pre-993 cars.
Here is where I am. I only attached the rear of the one piece top to the rear frame and now positioned it to get a feel of what it will look like.
The rear window is not tight at this time; not sure if this is normal at this point.
What question is as follows: what is the proper sequence for pulling and gluing the top?
Do I do the front of the car and then go back to the sides?
Or do I do the rear sides next and then the very front?

Old 02-24-2017, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I know this is an old thread. Gilles, did you ever get an answer to your questions? How did you proceed and how did it turn out?
I am about to order a new (993 style) top for my '86 Cab. This information would be very helpful.

Juergen
'09 VW Beetle Convertible
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Didn't get any answers, but went ahead and ordered a new top for my '86 Cab. Decided to go for the 993 style top for the looks and simplicity of not having to mate the two pieces together.

Juergen
Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Would love to hear how this goes as I have an 89 that is going to be needing a new top shortly
Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
It will be a couple of weeks before I can start on it. I am finishing up my seats right now. I replaced the leather on both front seats and it has been an interesting learning experience. I had never done upholstery work before and I have never installed a top.

I'll post pictures (good or bad) after I'm done. Even if it is not perfect, I get satisfaction out of "just doing it".

Juergen
Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I received the top from Upholstery World and it looks good so far. I will not have time to work on the installation until the Easter weekend (that means I may drive to Hershey with a broken back window on Good Friday).
I still would like to find out about the above questions zippy_gg posted. After you secure the top in the back, is it better to do the from first and then the sides, or the sides first and then the front? Do the B-Pillars before the front?

Any helpful hints are appreciated. I have never done a top before.

Juergen
Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The way i did it was “all at once”

The rear attachment is the key to everything. You must pull the top as tight as possible around the rear bar. Once that is done, the rest can be played with to get it all tight. Use clamps on the front to test how it will pull when closed. With the front clamped, but not glued, you will be able to see how the sides will pull tight at the door window.

It is harder to explain than to do. If you got your seat covers on, it should be a breeze. Not nearly as hard on the fingers.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback onevoice. The seats were quite a steep learning curve. I am looking forward working on the top. Will be Easter weekend at the earliest due to a lot of traveling. I'll post pictures, good or bad.

Thanks again,

Juergen
Old 03-27-2019, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
One voice, one more question. I finally started to put the 993 style top on my ‘86 Cab. Got the old top off today. The old top has cable tensioners to keep the top tight over the doors. However, it looks like the 993 top doesn’t use them? How did you do it?

Juergen
Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Finished replacing the top (kind off)

Spread out over three weekends (probably about 30 hours) I finished putting the top on yesterday. I do have wrinkles at the B-Pillar which I will take out next weekend. After what I have learned throughout the process I feel confident that I can get them out (at least the ones at the top).

I found out the question about the tensioners used on the old top. The '993 top does not use the tensioners. So they are labeled and stored away in case a future owner wants to go back to the original style top. I really like the look of the '993 top even more after I see it on my own car.

As promised, here are before and after pictures:

Juergen
Old 07-08-2019, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I have an '88 with an original top that is almost perfect except for one rub mark on the passentger side by the zipper. The headliner unfortunately has some tears/holes and it needs replacing one day; OCD is a costly thing
Question is - Does the 993 top come with a headliner or is that design headlinerless?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: