Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
No Radio Required

Garage
I think it's a good thought, but the only way to do what you want is sell it and buy a 2015 911 (991?). I say 2015 because maybe you will come closer than buying a new new car.

Everything you talked about is in a 993 if you still want an air cooled car. Or buy a 996. You might be able to swap straight across if you get one with the Boxter headlights.

Seriously - there are 911 guys that refuse to acknowledge the 964 because it had ABS, power steering, etc... A lot of people like that it's a car from the mid 70's and is so raw.

Me? I'd just eliminate the air leaks around the targa top that only happen above 70 mph, and fix that stupid door rattle that I can't seem to find.

"What do you mean NEXT project?" - my wife
Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Oh, two other things I thought of that I did to bring it closer to the current:

LED instrument lights

Rewired the car to get rid of all all power going through the ignition switch. Used a new scheme utilizing modern relays and ATC fuses. I made sure all circuits were fuse protected and removed most splices.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Geez, tough crowd. I'll chime in with what I've done to somewhat accomplish what octanemaestro is after. We rebuilt our '86 Carrera Targa with a backdate/update theme. For some reason when we reinstalled the motor, the CC became inop. Don't 'really' use it but will chase it down once we get it out of the shop tidying up the stereo install. It'd be nice to have, but not necessary for my style of driving. Honestly, never thought of the keyless entry upgrade, but now OP and some of the other posters have me re-evaluating that. We did Dynamat the heck out of the car since entire interior was out. We did the entire floors, doors and installed a new engine sound pad. Quieted down the interior "big league" to enjoy the sound system we had put in. NO regrets there. As also mentioned above the Kuehl Air System is AMAZING. A far cry above the anemic OEM system installed 31 years ago. Again, NO regrets their either. If the OP's location is indeed Brazil, well, I'd definitely do this prior to any other upgrade. We're finishing up a resto on an '82SC Targa (I love Targa's, I cannot lie) and the Kuehl Air will be installed in it too. Hope this somewhat helps. Post pics of your car and progress. Best of luck!

Last edited by nvr2mny; 02-05-2017 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Speyling arror
Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I have gone down a parallel road with my '88 Carrera. Plan is to upgrade/change in the interest of a more comfortable touring car. And performance up grades. I am fortunate to be able to register the car in AZ as a "collector car" which makes it exempt from emission inspections.

First was to install Griffith's full kit "desert grade" AC with two additional condensors in the left rear fender space.

Second was to install Sal C's MAF fuel injection. Became more involved as worn valve guides required a top end job. Ended up getting the heads flow benched (in for a penny, in for a pound) and a pair of Bob Herbert's 964-ish custom cams. Along with SSI headers there is a marked improvement in low and mid range torque--right where I do most of the driving.

Third, blade type fuses. Incorporates headlight relays

And, the last (to date) was the install an EPAS electric power steering kit. Makes the car much less crude and more civilized and eases the strain on this old man's shoulders. Torque and speed sensitive so its there when you want it and goes away when not needed.

Have not played with cruise control so far.

Different strokes for different folks
Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I am going in reverse of your goal..sold my 993's for a 1978, proceeded to remove AC and unneeded weight. Bought a Cayman for a DD along with my E46 M creature comforts.......bells and whistles at no price? I'd buy a Singer.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Hoss4659
Please tell us what EPAS you installed
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Comfort SC

You talk about comfort.

I want to make my sc comfortable but i like the sound of the engine.
(But want to get rid of the wind noise at high speed when i drive the autobahn in germany.)
So I put in the glue in windows from 993 and doorframes with extra gasket. That make the big diffrence now i want to drive that thing all day long.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I'd like to know more about 993 window parts in the 911 for the purpose of reducing wind noise.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The Carrera cruse is great. Anyone that actually DRIVES their 911 on a trip will love it. The folks that live in perfect climate and only drive short trips don't care about cruise or AC. I have great cruise and and AC so I can drive my 911 on long trips across America and drive in comfort. I can't personally care less about keyless entry. Sound dreading might be ok for wind noise but that would be a real challenge.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting thread and I'm willing to play. My "normal Porsche experience" is from my '75 911 Targa, and I'm sure this will affect my list. In no particular order:

- Seats with both cool air blowers and heated pads
- Auto climate control and working AC
- Gated shifter and smooth-as-silk syncros
- EFI and coil-pack ignition
- Plenty of low-end torque and runs well on ethanol-laden fuel
- Cruise control
- Power brakes w/ ABS
- LED lighting and HID headlamps
- All new electrical harness and new fuse panel (with blade fuses)
- Cabin mostly free of wind / road noise
- Decent stereo with bluetooth and hands-free for the phone

That's it for my list, but it's not realistic to get there with my 911. If I truly wanted all that, I'd go get a Cayman. My other daily drivers do have these features and that's why I own the 911 - for that raw-visceral-all mechanical-fun-stuff...
Old 02-05-2017, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Those little spoilers that mount to the A-piller between the windshield and rain gutter that Ruf made might help with the wind noise on the highway.

And as much as I dislike them on a G-body car, the 993 aero mirrors would likely quiet things down a little, as well, compared to the flag mirrors.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Wink

Blade Fuses!!
LED Lights (interior & exterior)
A Japanese Radio System
Better heating/air intake dash controls.

Quote:
The Carrera’s 3.2-liter flat-six boasted nearly 80-percent new parts, although its overall design was the same as the 911SC’s. The proper tensioning of the engine’s timing chains had been a problem since the 911’s birth. A proper fix finally appeared in 1984 in the form of a revised chain tensioning and lubrication system; this alone is one reason to consider a Carrera over a 911SC, although the latter can be retrofitted with the improved hardware. You won’t find a more robust powertrain than a Carrera’s. Given timely care and frequent oil changes, they’ll run well for 150,000 miles and more. Be sure not to miss scheduled valve adjustments. Clutches require replacement in as little as 50,000 miles, but can live to 100K in the hands of a sympathetic driver.

As with many Porsches over the years, one of the Carrera’s most endearing aspects is its superb build quality. Every fitting, the stitching on the seats, the smoothness of the paint, the instruments, the drum-tightness of the body structure, the materials employed–everything smacks of quality. Given good care and enthusiastic use, they’ll go long and strong. While it may be an overstatement to say that mid-1980s Carreras will appreciate, honest, low-mile, rust-free examples are in ever-increasing demand and will increase in value....

unquote

Something that 2017's aren't doing eh!

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I agree with RSTarga

I agree with this plan. I installed a blade fuse panel and installed LEDs inside and out (and installed under dash lighting when you open the door).

My next step in modernizing would be the classic Porsche GPS and improved A/C.

Following that, I would reupholster the interior and install seat heaters (my 86 didn't come with it)

I never really thought about keyless entry before, but that's interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
Blade type fuse panel
Retro fit electronic CDI
Improved A/C
Led lights, inside and out.

That is what i would call improved reliability
Old 02-05-2017, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

One other thing that doesn't quite sit 'right' with me in the modern cars--the switch to all automatic transmission. I know that anything with a PDK could out shift me in a nanosecond but, I'm not trying to out-shift a computer. I'm just trying to enjoy the ride--and, for me, a manual transmission is a HUGE part of the drive.

I have a Cayenne that my wife drives. It's a great ride and has all the creature comforts for a long trip, but I'd rather throw the top down and shift the gears with my clunky 915 transmission any day.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

4) Even if manually operated, truly high power volume heat, AC, and efficient defrost front and rear

Someone (Aftermarket) makes front and rear windshields with defrost wires in them, don't they?

I think the OP (though it seems he's disappeared) is taking an interesting path. Not everyone is looking to strip down their car and make it a wanna be hot rod. I did that to my SC but only because it wasn't my DD. I couldn't imagine driving a black on black car with no sound insulation and no AC everyday

Whats all this talk about blade fuses and bypassing the light & ignition switches? I want in! I think there is a conversion fuse block (sold by our host) for the 74 and up cars but nothing for the long hood yet. I just did an alternator swap and put in a Petronix (as well as a headlight relay kit) and just that has made starting the car a 1,000 times easier. I think any car pre 964 would benefit from wiring upgrades and make adding better stereos…GPS…charging….less stressful on the power supply, no?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey356 View Post
4) Even if manually operated, truly high power volume heat, AC, and efficient defrost front and rear

Someone (Aftermarket) makes front and rear windshields with defrost wires in them, don't they?

I think the OP (though it seems he's disappeared) is taking an interesting path. Not everyone is looking to strip down their car and make it a wanna be hot rod. I did that to my SC but only because it wasn't my DD. I couldn't imagine driving a black on black car with no sound insulation and no AC everyday

Whats all this talk about blade fuses and bypassing the light & ignition switches? I want in! I think there is a conversion fuse block (sold by our host) for the 74 and up cars but nothing for the long hood yet. I just did an alternator swap and put in a Petronix (as well as a headlight relay kit) and just that has made starting the car a 1,000 times easier. I think any car pre 964 would benefit from wiring upgrades and make adding better stereos…GPS…charging….less stressful on the power supply, no?
Here you go...A fellow pelican, Fred Cook, has made them for some years now...Try dropping him a line for photo's and info:
ATO Fuse Panel

Also : New front fuse/relay panel using busbar

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by A horse with no name; 02-05-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

When we talk of 'modern' it's a mixture of comfort & convenience and great reliability.

Comfort & Convenience
- the AC discussion has been covered
- sound/electronics - you want something which will pair with your phone and still be a workable radio. Navigation taken from your phone a plus - if budget no restriction go the classic Porsche nav system. Otherwise look for something which has a pop-out screen, though I find them ugly.
- touch points. Spend money on new leather and padding for steering wheel, grab handles, shifter boot & handbrake boot. Spend the money to get all the doors adjusted just-so, so they open and close lightly without play, sag, rattles.
- sound : for me, defeating the wind noise would be the biggest. Some say it's the gutters, I also think the wipers contribute massively to the noise. Not sure there is a solution for the wipers though. Make sure all the rubbers are sealing well. Rebuild the gearbox if it is whiny.
- engine : the biggest change with an SC would be to go to all-electronic ignition and injection. Not a cheap project but if set up properly it will always start and idle like a modern car.
- gearbox : get it rebuilt, get a quality shifter and a nice knob. When it is rifle-like action and not graunchy, rubbery or snitchy, you'll notice the difference.
- nice to haves : cruise would be good. Keyless entry also good. Personally I'd like to get rid of the ignition key and replace with button and switch. If someone is going to steal it they'll probably just bash in a screwdriver anyway. Spend the money on a tracker.

A modern experience is one where the body and interior is tight and new to the touch. The electronics work, the lights are bright and the HVAC is cold or hot as needed. The exhaust sounds good but isn't overlaid with squeaks, groans and clunks.

A singer, basically, but perhaps without the megadollar engine and custom interior.

In my idle times I often build 911 castles in the sky - something fast but luxurious based on an 88 with wide guards and completely rebuilt wiring system and dashboard using 993 gauges is a frequent theme. I'd skip the quilted leather in the engine bay though.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
As far as modern goes and feeling untangled with all the wiring you deal with when interchanging cars just to use your cell phone when sunday driiving...I would strongly suggest a Parrot MKI9200 bluetooth system.
- Just having the descrete modernness
- availability to stream whatever I have on my iphone
- handsfree calling specially when shifting gears and hard or no powersteering
- Not having to deal with all the wires for (e.g. an audio cable or an FM Tranmitter or whatever)
- Feel like I just got into my 2015 SUV and automatically got connected

Priceless
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Interesting thread and essentially the whole reason Classic Retrofit exists.

Fuse Panel. Check.
Electronic Ignition. Check.
A/C. Due for launch at LA Lit show, March 4th.

Mickey356, the long hood fuse panels have been available for a while now. Part number is 911-FPE on Pelican.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Mickey356, the long hood fuse panels have been available for a while now. Part number is 911-FPE on Pelican.

Thanks Johnny. I see that you have blocks for 69-73 but I have a 1968 912, will the 69-73 work? I read the install instructions and it seems pretty straightforward, and nice additional instruction for those already running relays, which I am.

I'm not concerned with originality at all, just reliability. I can deal with carbs…torsion bar suspension…manual seats and windows….it's that 50 year old wiring that doesn't sit well with me.

No hijack intended.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , accoutrements , comfortable , modern , reliable