Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Modern accoutrements in a 911SC to be as comfortable and reliable as a 2017 model!!

I wanted to kind of take an informal poll. What are the features and accoutrements you can think of (some of which are just not worth it, like 2 airbags, and some are just totally unrealistic like adding ABS) that could be reasonably and technically installed to simulate making a 911SC as comfortable and reliable as possible toward the goal of being equivalent to a 2017 Porsche 911 just off the assembly line.

So, what do you think? I came up with these so far:

1) Reliable aftermarket cruise control
2) Keyless entry
3) Totally sound deadened interior (i.e., Dynamat Extreme throughout, firewall foam)
4) Even if manually operated, truly high power volume heat, AC, and efficient defrost front and rear

Thanks for any contribution to the poll. I think it's an interesting topic, I hope you do too!
Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
1. Cruise control - never use it
2. Keyless entry - easy $200 if you have central locking
3. PITA to do and extra weight. No for me.
4. $$$$s and weight. No for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanemaestro View Post
I wanted to kind of take an informal poll. What are the features and accoutrements you can think of (some of which are just not worth it, like 2 airbags, and some are just totally unrealistic like adding ABS) that could be reasonably and technically installed to simulate making a 911SC as comfortable and reliable as possible toward the goal of being equivalent to a 2017 Porsche 911 just off the assembly line.

2) Keyless entry
3) Totally sound deadened interior (i.e., Dynamat Extreme throughout, firewall foam)
4) Even if manually operated, truly high power volume heat, AC, and efficient defrost front and rear

Thanks for any contribution to the poll. I think it's an interesting topic, I hope you do too!

Current - 75 911 Carrera #144, modified
Sold - 67 911T Coupe racecar, 87 911 Cabriolet, 85 911 Targa, 98 Boxster, 95 993 Coupe, 88 911 Cabriolet
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I removed my cruise control.
I added keyless entry for less than $50 and it works great.
I got rid of most of the soundeadening.
I removed all AC and backdated heat. I will add a fresh air blower.
I got rid of the sound system.
I got rid of he rear seats.
I got rid of the glove box.
I got rid of the front and rear hood shocks.

The car is getting closer to where I want it and further from a modern car....it will be simple and reliable.

Mine is a targa.

Last edited by SpyderMike; 02-05-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Old 02-05-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

If you want to get alot closer to modern(with a vintage look), trade for a 964/993 and backdate it.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Modern accoutrements in a 911SC to be as comfortable and reliable as a 2017 model!!

I like my 911s to be minimalist.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I agree that backdating makes for a nicer 911. When I look at all the blower motors on the heating/defrost system on my Carrera and compare that with the SSI exhaust on my old Targa, I'm amazed at the unneeded complexity of the system (and it really doesn't work any better). I'm old enough that I do appreciate AC and enjoy listening to my iPod while driving, but don't need much else.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 02-05-2017, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

^^^^
exactly. and my 930 will be even more so. that is what I love about the older air cooled 911s, loud, raw, visceral, etc. nothing like new cars/Porsches and I like them for that.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You guys obviously aren't on board with the OP's request. He's listed 4 areas he wants to upgrade, and you guys say just eliminate them, except KE.
Here's my suggestions:
CC: you could have the OEM system rebuilt, including the brain, where the reference capacitor goes bad and won't store the voltage that the brain uses to maintain speed. Otherwise there is a Rostra system, mentioned on Pelican, theat looks pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Rostra-Universal-Electronic-Control-250-1223/dp/B007ZCQD9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486309688&sr=8-1&keywords=rostra+cruise+control

KE: Depending on what's in your car, you may be able to tap into an existing entry system. Otherwise I was able to add KE by using window motor power after making those always hot.
Sound deadening: You need to strip interior, then go through vibration dampening, then sound transmission control with mass barrier products. Yes it's a lot of work to do well, but it will make the car more quiet and luxurious feeling. If that's what you are looking for.
HVAC: Your heat will be OK if all system components are adjusted and working properly. AC is a different matter. Lots of controversy there. Search here and look for posts by Kuehl (Griffiths). His knowledge, products and support are second to none.

All these things can get expensive, but you don't need to do them all at once. The process can be cumulative, with gradual improvements. I myself, don't really plan to "finish" improving and maintaining my car anyway. What's the point?

Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am on board...."make it comfortable and relable like a 2017". I find mine as comfortable and more reliable based on my reply. It is an unscientific poll after all. How many gadgets does a car need, really? To me, the "features" added to cars over the last 5-10 years havee, for the most part, been a waste.

Tapping into the existing lock system is real easy to do to replace with keyless...there are some good threads on the subject. I kept the door actuators and replace the brain and it works great for $30. Example:

Can Central Lock actuators be used for keyless entry with central lock disabled?

Okay, I will throw one in for consideration...remote tire pressure monitoring. Now that I might try to add.

My wife would say "heated seats".

Last edited by SpyderMike; 02-05-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Never use it...
2) Keyless entry
I have a cabriolet, locking it just makes them go thru the canvass top=$$
I like the sound....
I wear a jacket....or conversely put the top down....

Old 02-05-2017, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Find it interesting when a person specifically asks for upgrades, people feel compelled to not be helpful and describe the opposite. Wth? If he wanted to go stripped down, he would have asked for that.

My upgrades:
Keyless entry for about $40
Stereo headunit with Bluetooth hands free, Pandora, Sirius capable with subwoofer and charging port
LED brake lights with 3rd light
Combo charging port and digital volt meter
Electronic Pointless distributor
Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanemaestro View Post

2) Keyless entry

After seeing my car next to a 2017 Targa at the Pelican meet yesterday, I believe there is nothing you can do to make it remotely as luxurious as a new 911. The new ones are a much, much larger luxury car. The interior looks like it came from a Caddy not a sports car. Adding sound deadening, keyless entry and better seats will make it nicer, but it will still be a much noiser car. The new ones are almost silent until you get on it. And then it is just exhaust noise, the rest of the car is quiet, trans, suspension etc.

Last edited by Fast Mike; 02-05-2017 at 08:31 AM..
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I think several huge items that set the cars apart and would be difficult and expensive to change would be:

Electronic fuel injection and ignition.
Digital instruments, information and entertainment displays.
Power steering- old cars at low speed take a bit of effort, not so in modern vehicles.
HVAC as mentioned, might not be as tough, except modern dash controls are more electronic and without the sweet smell of oil!

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I am going with the Griffiths AC upgrade soon. And for under $50.00 I may just add the keyless entry to my to do list. I also like the idea of a volt meter.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
You're asking how to take a Van Gogh and make it into a Warhol.
Not only will you never have a modern car, you will destroy the value of your vintage age.

Sell the car and buy a modern car.
You are missing the entire point of owning a vintage 911.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Blade type fuse panel
Retro fit electronic CDI
Improved A/C
Led lights, inside and out.

That is what i would call improved reliability
Old 02-05-2017, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
Find it interesting when a person specifically asks for upgrades, people feel compelled to not be helpful and describe the opposite. Wth? If he wanted to go stripped down, he would have asked for that.
^^^this. Come on guys, be helpful.

Add to the OP's list:

5) Improved interior and exterior lighting
6) Lumbar support for the front seats
Old 02-05-2017, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I would like to drive my classic Porsche as often as possible as opposed to having an extra car that bears the brunt of the mundane day.

Sound deadening adds at most 50 pounds to the floor between the axles—exactly where you want it. It can reduce engine noise and road noise significantly, such that you can hear the motor just as well, but without the fatigue on long, high-speed trips. Here is how I would go about it: Interior sound deadening, noise reduction, and thermal insulation

Heat and defrost in these cars is outstanding, if poorly instrumented. To get modern AC, you install the $3k Griffith's system and that's the end of it.

I would also add custom-valved shock internals for Bilstein dampers. Smoother ride, better motion control. Even if you buy a set of new HDs, it's 40-year-old tech.

Modern lighting. LED bulbs all around, and a set of HID/LED projectors in an H4 housing, built and sold by various parties here on Pelican.

Reliability isn't much of a concern. If sorted, these cars always start, and behave well very uncomfortable climates.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Anything is doable nowadays if you have the money.
Singer has done it.
Others have done similar things.
Find a good custom shop and work with them on what you want if you can't do the work, otherwise your time and money will get you there eventually.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

You'll never get there, but a few comforts have been afforded to me just by keeping close to stock and keeping things working. I find the following comforts make long trips or routine driving just fine....

-Working a/c (as long as not over 90-95F or car left baking in sun) Did a R134a conversion 10 plus years ago and still get 30-40 vent temps. Really needed to cut high humidity when it is that kind of day.
-Cruise control (use it occasionally and occasionally it decides to work - when it does it holds speed perfectly)
-Nice head unit that does cd, satellite radio and Bluetooth music/Hands free off phone (head unit and stock location speakers only - no big amp or anything obnoxious).
-A targa top well sealed/aligned keeping water and wind noise out
-Stock exhaust

With those items I get comfort, keep my car close enough to original and retain the 911 experience.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , accoutrements , comfortable , modern , reliable