Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Look very nice, great work Ken but you have to protect those now otherwise they will rust.

I typically do lines in clear cadmium since clear zinc is blue these days.

Shaun, thanks for the heads up. I think your way is better than me using high temp clear coat. I'm sending them your way today or Monday.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-15-2017, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #301 (permalink)

Garage
Throttle body clean up

Get ready Shaun, here comes the whole enchilada...

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-15-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #302 (permalink)

Love it Ken, looking forward to sending jewelry back to you.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #303 (permalink)

Garage
refurbished muffler

The first piece of the engine rebuid is finished and ready for installation. I suspect the subsequent time line to completed project will be two or three months, which is fine by me. The engine builder has instructions to take his sweet time.

Bead blasted and VHT (very high temp) flat grey engine paint

The contrasting black straps are going to look awesome.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-15-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #304 (permalink)

Garage
Hello, my pretties.

Heat exchangers and Ranchero exhaust manifold got bead blasted to get high temp aluminum paint, the muffler got high temp flat grey.

The black and red parts are all new powder coated. All of this for $287.50. I would have paid twice that and been just as happy.

I suppose I'm a weirdo for having the only red parts where few will ever see them, but they will look really cool for a bit with the new orange/white heater tubes and all shiny new hardware.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #305 (permalink)

Garage
Heat exchangers

I think they are in good shape. No holes. 48 years old.

Multi-purposing swing set to paint rack. I don't have any old trees to be a shade-tree mechanic.

High temp with ceramic, aluminum color

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 07-18-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #306 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thumbs up

Those are Puuuuuurty!
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750
Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #307 (permalink)

Garage
Spring plates

I sort of got them off, but not really. Here is a pic of each side. I'm at a loss of what to do next? Muscle the spring plate off the bar with a vice-grip?

driver's side

passenger side

You can see in these pics, both are pulled out. My gear puller does not fit in there. Are you guys using a particular one?

What is on the other end of the bars, in the middle of the tube?

31 degrees, both sides.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 07-20-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #308 (permalink)

Garage
I see what I need, the compact gear puller in this set, with the tongs turned around.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-20-2017, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #309 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
First remove the little cap that covers the end of the torsion bar. You will then be able to use a large drift to pound out the torsion bar. The puller may work as a last resort. I drilled a small hole in the cap to make it easier to remove.

Probably should remove the access hole cover from the fender first.

There is nothing in the middle of the torsion tube except the spline which goes all the way through.

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF

Last edited by Trackrash; 07-21-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 07-20-2017, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #310 (permalink)

Ken, take off the torsion bar hole cover, line it with a lot of painters tape, fabric underneath is good too for cushioning. Heat the end of the spring plate a lot. Hold the torsion bar and tap the spring plate with a hammer. Resting the spring plate in the hole helps. Clean the bar well and use a pair of leather gloves to hold it. Vice grips work well too but I don't recommend it.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #311 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
First remove the little cap that covers the end of the torsion bar. You will then be able to use a large drift to pound out the torsion bar. The puller may work as a last resort. I drilled a small hole in the cap to make it easier to remove.

Probably should remove the access hole cover from the fender first.

There is nothing in the middle of the tube except the spline which goes all the way through.
Rats, the access hole is covered by an aluminum and rubber trim piece, that I was hoping not to touch. Oh well, buckle up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Ken, take off the torsion bar hole cover, line it with a lot of painters tape, fabric underneath is good too for cushioning. Heat the end of the spring plate a lot. Hold the torsion bar and tap the spring plate with a hammer. Resting the spring plate in the hole helps. Clean the bar well and use a pair of leather gloves to hold it. Vice grips work well too but I don't recommend it.
Yep, hole cover, coming off, and the trim piece too. Yes haw; actually, this is my first rodeo, but I see if I totally mess them up, the host has them for a C-note each.

I'm still trying to figure out what is going on in the middle of the torsion bar tube to hold the other end of the torsion bar. Not one mention of it in all the freaking books I've bought so far. Looks like I'll have to pull the plug and get the OEM shop manuals.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #312 (permalink)

Garage
First completion...

...of a sub-system, the heater control boxes and some associated hardware. The attachment nuts and bolts are getting re-plated, instead of replaced.

new hoses, hose clamps, springs, cable stops, and gaskets

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 07-21-2017 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #313 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post

new hoses, hose clamps, springs, cable stops, and gaskets

Beautiful work Ken!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #314 (permalink)
Under the radar

Garage
Probably should mention, be careful not to scratch the paint on the torsion bar. If you do, make sure to repaint it. Any corrosion on the torsion bar will eventually weaken it.

If it is original, it is probably coated with grease. That used to be recommended to help prevent corrosion of the torsion bar.

What trim piece? What torsion bar cover?
BTW, off topic, but what size of jpg is needed nowadays to fill up the panels on this forum?

Last edited by Trackrash; 07-21-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #315 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Probably should mention, be careful not to scratch the paint on the torsion bar. If you do, make sure to repaint it. Any corrosion on the torsion bar will eventually weaken it.

If it is original, it is probably coated with grease. That used to be recommended to help prevent corrosion of the torsion bar.

What trim piece? What torsion bar cover?
BTW, off topic, but what size of jpg is needed nowadays to fill up the panels on this forum?
The no trim looks good to me. Maybe I'll leave it off. We'll do the with or without pics.

Two torsion bars, right? One for each side.

Not sure about jpg size. I can't tell you what camera setting I use. Some pics I try are too big and need cropping.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 07-21-2017 at 11:53 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #316 (permalink)
Under the radar

Garage
Yes, two torsion bars, one on each side. They are labeled L and R, so don't mix them up.

I always thought my car looked better with no trim at all. I'm no trim hater though. It definitely can look good on an unmodified car.

I've seen some pics posted lately that caused a scroll bar to appear. They were way larger than mine, even though mine are 3264 x 2448 x 72. Maybe at a certian point Pelican automatically resizes them?

BTW, I looked up the torsion bar section in the original workshop manual, and there really aren't pictures of the entire torsion bar setup.

If you can find one of the OLD Haynes manuals (up to model year 76) they are very good. I used one, and still do, since I got my car in the '70s. Covers 99% of everything you need to know for maintaining your car.

Last edited by Trackrash; 07-21-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #317 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Yes, two torsion bars, one on each side. They are labeled L and R, so don't mix them up.

I always thought my car looked better with no trim at all. I'm no trim hater though. It definitely can look good on an unmodified car.

I've seen some pics posted lately that caused a scroll bar to appear. They were way larger than mine, even though mine are 3264 x 2448 x 72. Maybe at a certian point Pelican automatically resizes them?

BTW, I looked up the torsion bar section in the original workshop manual, and there really aren't pictures of the entire torsion bar setup.

If you can find one of the OLD Haynes manuals (up to model year 76) they are very good. I used one, and still do, since I got my car in the '70s. Covers 99% of everything you need to know for maintaining your car.
Thanks very much. I'll look in my old Haynes again. I'm just curious what it looks like inside the tube.

Here's a good side shot. I never really noticed the trim until I have to take it off.

I think it might look better without trim. Minimalism. Was there any other purpose than cosmetic for this piece of trim? Rock guard? Might be better to take it off to protect it for the next owner to decide.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 07-21-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #318 (permalink)

Garage
Fixed 'em

The clamps were in the wrong positions; even if it is a mock up, must be correct. The bolts, washers and nuts are at Tru-6 Restorations. One thing I have noticed on this car, every single nut has a washer.

Sorry Shaun, had to go with new parts, but you got everything else.

Did I show the before pics? I wonder if they were all red originally? I thought it just looked cool with the OEM red ducts.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 07-21-2017 at 03:01 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #319 (permalink)

Garage
Is this what they mean when they are talking about auto erotic?

That's the installed direction of the ducts, not a Freudian slip.

The muffler is flat grey, the heat exchangers are aluminum, all high temp engine paint

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #320 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: