Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewb0051 View Post
That begs the question why pay to powder coat?.. .
Because I'm a crackpot and it was cheap to do. It makes a better base, imho, but what do I know? Very little. I just like the idea of it being on the list of improvements. Powder coated sounds better than painted in my back yard hanging from the swing set, which is fine for the Falcon, but not the Porsche, although I painted the heat exchangers there.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-03-2017 at 08:44 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #481 (permalink)

Garage
Uh oh...

I'm taking apart the front end parts. This looks like big trouble but I'm all in. Got this far, and lost pickle fork. I've seen it, just can't remember where. I was just going to pop this through bolt out, which is one of those bolts where you have to turn the wrench around each click, then it gets to the end, only room for open end wrench that has to be turned around with each nudge.

Remember we were wondering about the little foam tubes. Here's an original. It's supposed to go under the clip.

I'm trying to figure the order of disassembly, once I get the pickle fork to separate the ball joints, looks pretty straight forward.

I was sitting there and just for fun tried to move the black rubber on the chrome strip under the door. It moved easily, I took off the end plates, it slid right off; the other side was frozen, I just pulled it off.

This is what drives me nuts; they put a pop rivet in place of a self-tapping screw, on both ends of the driver's side, but the passenger side was still original.

The strips are not bad for being original

I kind of like this clean look, but then I'ld have to fill all the holes and repaint. It has some kind of rock guard finish, which is pristine. The hole covers came right off, no frozen nuts, and the car was fine too.

Here's where I get in trouble, doing things out of sequence, like taking this apart. I had it apart once, which leads me to believe I can repeat it, but for some reason, the first time, it slid right off.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #482 (permalink)

Garage
Rubber stil inside though
Old 10-04-2017, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #483 (permalink)

Garage
I'm looking for advice on how to get the spring plate off the torsion bar, without damaging the bar or the body work. The spring plate looks indestructible. I spent about an hour trying to wiggle it off, pry it off, sprayed silicon lube in there, wiggle wiggle wiggle; nothing. I'm hesitant to grab the bar with vice grips.

The spring plates and bushings are going in the original parts bin and these babies from Tru-6 are going on. Yes, I know I could have gone to adjustable, but I didn't. I'll never race it, and stock is fine by me. When it's all done the suspension on this money-pit will be outstanding.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-06-2017, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #484 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
I'm looking for advice on how to get the spring plate off the torsion bar[/img]
shove it back in place, drill a hole in center of cap, flood it with caramba, get yourself a 3-arm retractor (you call it that?) so you can pull it of while holding pressure in center to block off the bar.
the hole in cap can be plugged later when reinstalled.

Last edited by Flojo; 10-06-2017 at 05:49 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #485 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Remove the dust cap covering the end of the torsion bar. You may have to drill a small hole in it.

Use a couple of 2 x 4s between the torsion arm and the body. Use a large punch to drive the torsion bar out.

Use lots of grease on the spline when re-installing.

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #486 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post

Here's where I get in trouble, doing things out of sequence, like taking this apart. I had it apart once, which leads me to believe I can repeat it, but for some reason, the first time, it slid right off.

Ken, triple/quadruple wrap the torsion bar with a heavy shop towel Grab it tightly with vice grips. Heat the end end 1-2 inches of spring plate tube a lot. Hold the vice grip/torsion bar, either grab spring plate blade and pull off or tap the blade (close to the tube) with a hammer. It should come right off. You've got tape in your cover plate hole, put a shop towel in there too.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #487 (permalink)

Garage
That's what I'm talkin' about. Thank you guys.

Three killer methods.

With Flo's and Shaun's I have to buy stuff vs Trackrash's, I have it all. Drill, 2x4s, large punch, BFH. I'll try it, report back...

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #488 (permalink)

Garage
Look Ma, no spring plates

I went down to pound them out and was having trouble with the right side cap, not noticing the left side cap was missing, or I would have started there.

The cap was being obstinate. I took a break. Thought to spray some of this stuff in the splines. They had been soaking overnight.

Wiggle wiggle, felt a little movement, out they came, both sides

The old bushings were fairly new and did not need replacing, which I find out after I bought new ones and too late to return. Anyone need new spring plate bushings? New, never used, from Pelican, free, pay shipping.

What about these rust spots under the inner bushings?
Passenger side

Driver side

Got my angle marked

This is way beyond my first impulse to just wipe all the grease off. It's a ***** being OCD

Procrastinating the application of undercoating. I need to make a mini paint booth under there with an arm hole. Stick my hand in there with a rattle can and spray away, let the overspray settle, see what happened. Repeat.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-07-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #489 (permalink)

Garage
These new spring plates will look good with the refinished trailing arms and calipers and dust covers and new lines all over the place.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-07-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-07-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #490 (permalink)

Ken I'm in for your bushings. Please pm me your paypal info.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 10-07-2017, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #491 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78-911SC View Post
Ken I'm in for your bushings. Please pm me your paypal info.
PM sent

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-07-2017, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #492 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Undercoating

First phase, taping. The fuel and brake lines are coming off, the transmission mount bushings come off.

I'm going with black, not tan.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-08-2017, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #493 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Quote:
This is way beyond my first impulse to just wipe all the grease off. It's a ***** being OCD
Which leads me to believe I am in good company. I've been following your thread with interest Ken. Good luck & full speed ahead.

Cheers
JB
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #494 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
What about these rust spots under the inner bushings?
Passenger side

Driver side

This need quite some rust-prime application and some welding.
Experts may chime in how to do it.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #495 (permalink)

Garage
outa control

I just wanted to wipe the oil off.

There's nothing left (for me) to take off. Here's where I want a car barn with a rotisserie.

Back yard paint shop is open

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-08-2017 at 06:23 PM..
Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #496 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye's-911T View Post
Which leads me to believe I am in good company. I've been following your thread with interest Ken. Good luck & full speed ahead.
Cheers
JB
Thanks for the encouragement. This forum made a huge difference in the completely insane decisions I am making and seem unable to stop making them. I am so far out of my comfort level that it defies logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
This need quite some rust-prime application and some welding.
Experts may chime in how to do it.
My welder is coming by to take a look this week. I'll soak it in naval jelly for a few days.

On the passenger side one, there was a debris field still in there. I vacuumed it out. The bushings came right out with no resistance.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #497 (permalink)

Garage
obviously the bushings have benn exchanged not so long ago.
but whoever did this, did a "bad" job in not rust-safekeeping that area.

when done welding the ring, spray the tube with Mike Sanders before reinserting the torsion bars.

Last edited by Flojo; 10-09-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #498 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Brain damaged?

I must have been dropped on my head as a baby to come up with these hair-brained schemes. My idea to control over-spray, a reverse paint booth

This is ūth done, still need some Playtex gloves taped to clear plastic to close the gap between the cardboard and paper to make a containment chamber. I'll have to wait for warm weather to open the garage door to get a little ventilation, outside the chamber of death.

New on the bottom, old on top, not much difference

More new brake lines, next to some old ones

I just hope I can get it all back together and working

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-10-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #499 (permalink)

Garage
Amazing Post

Ken, fantastic post, so interesting to see parts of these cars I'd never see otherwise. Also great to see so many very helpful responses.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #500 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: