Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hey paint in your hair is better than paint on a bare knob. Have fun at the wedding.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #521 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Hey paint in your hair is better than paint on a bare knob. Have fun at the wedding.
You're right, painted bare knob would be highly visible. Today someone asked if I purposely high-lighted my hair. They complimented it. Maybe being polite to crazy old man.

The wedding was awesome. 10 years in the making. More grand kids to follow.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-23-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #522 (permalink)

Garage
Painting firewall

Almost there.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-25-2017, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #523 (permalink)

looking good Ken!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #524 (permalink)

Garage
Painting firewall

Thanks Shaun,

...not the finest work out there, but it will pass muster for an amateur. Your work will make it look like a pro did it for sure.

On the other hand, I am far from a pro

VHT engine enamel flat black for the firewall.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done..

I see a missed spot.

I'm going to paint the brake line tabs red; make 'em pop! I have all new brake lines, line hardware, and new plugs and boots for the lines going through the firewall.

There is still some touch up work to do on the top side with a brush, no more rattle can painting.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-25-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #525 (permalink)

Garage
fuel lines in

refurbished fuel lines by electric wire brush and VHT satin clear coat, new OEM hoses, OEM hose clamps, brake line splitter on, fabric strap not OEM

Not sure if I have these lines hooked up properly.

Two fuel tubes coming out; the outboard one goes to the back of the canister, the inboard one goes to the front of the canister. I used pieces of hose as bumpers to keep metal off metal, no rattle.

What is this canister? Filter? In this pic the long hose goes inboard, the one in back goes outboard, underneath. I do not know if this is correct.

Bob mentioned something about the canister, that it was broken and leave it broken. The top nozzle gets a line that goes to nozzles on the back of the air cleaner. Supposedly it's a fuel spritzer for cold starting, but acts more as an engine fire starter in real life.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-26-2017 at 05:13 AM..
Old 10-25-2017, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #526 (permalink)

MFI fuel filter.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #527 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
MFI fuel filter.
I guessed right.

Does it need maintenance? Is there an element in there that needs changing or cleaning?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #528 (permalink)

Garage
change filter.

topic search:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?searchid=16817075

https://www.facebook.com/911garage

Last edited by Flojo; 10-26-2017 at 05:26 AM..
Old 10-26-2017, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #529 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome! Thanks Flo. New one ordered from host. Where do you get those schematics?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-26-2017 at 06:09 AM..
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #530 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche, as parts catalogue to download
Old 10-26-2017, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #531 (permalink)

Garage
How about here? I have supply on the inboard (on the right as we look at it) and return line is on outboard side.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #532 (permalink)

Garage
This truck has to go...

Admin, if this is inappropriate, delete it without hesitation.

I looked in the forum classifieds index and could not find a category for non-Porsche stuff for sale, which makes perfect sense, keeping the riff-raff out, of which I could be an inadvertent occasional member, but hopefully not a full fledged bonafide card carrying member for life.

The post is somewhat related to my Porsche, in the way of trying to generate money for P-car projects on the program.

The blog of it, with all the details
1964 Ford Falcon Ranchero - FOR SALE at Gateway Classic Cars in Denver, CO.

It's here for 90 days, then, if not sold, to craigslist if you get the drift.
1964 Ford Falcon | Gateway Classic Cars | 131

I have too many vehicles, not enough parking, outrageous insurance bills. This one goes first.

Baseball glove leather interior, Sony/Alpine/Focal stereo system, Vintage Air A/C, American Racing Torque Thrust wheels, custom tonneau cover, matte finish paint, pin striping by Mad Mike

351 Windsor, Edlebrock aluminum intake, aluminum radiator, Holley 600, K&N filter, aluminum air cleaner, Pertronix electronic ignition, Accel coil and cables, power assist front disk brakes, Monte Carlo Bar, crossmember, Mustang GT shock towers with Koni shocks, P-S-T polygraphite front end, Addco 1" front anti-sway bar, locking hood latch, David Kee toploader 4-speed, 9" rear end 2:80 gears

sub-frame connectors, Traction Masters, Addco anti-sway bar, Koni shocks, Class III hitch w/7-way plug, battery moved to rear with in-cab keyed cut-off.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-29-2017 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-28-2017, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #533 (permalink)

Garage
Front clip

Look Ma, no front suspension clip.

This is where I always say to myself, uh oh, wonder if it will go back together.

My MO seems to be, take the piece off the car, which is always easy, read the manual, disassemble the piece, then try to figure out what to do with it.

I can see on re-install, hang the front and end points loosely on the bolts, cinch it up with the jack and then start those two in the middle. I can sense there will be some major cursing aimed at those suckers.

Bob at Storz lent me this socket to take off the bottom shock mounting nut. What's the engineering behind this piece? Those little castle washer/dust covers?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #534 (permalink)

Garage
Curses! I just wanted to clean the dirt off. It's rough being impulsive and OCD.

Some of the bushings look new, others not. Might as well replace them all, right?

I have an idea of powder coating but what do I know? Any suggestions? Shaun does cerakote.

I guess it's all left/right side specific, right? Can only fit one way?

One torsion bar popped right off on it's own, the other one is stuck. Soak it overnight. Attack hubs next week.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-29-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #535 (permalink)

Garage
Front end

We're past the point of no return now. Got everything apart on the A-arms. The bushings have been replaced, but I think I'll start over anyway.

The tab that holds the cotter pin which keeps the castle washer in place is broken. Do I have to replace the part for that? I was going to drill another hole.

Again with the one side comes right out, the other side is a pita and does not come right out.

Update: Here is a perfect example of me not knowing what the blazes I am talking about. The entire mechanism moves, there is no clearance issues.
Now the issue is how to get the end piece off. Does it screw out of the steering box?

Attacking the struts and spindles this week.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-30-2017 at 05:16 PM..
Old 10-29-2017, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #536 (permalink)

Garage
you'll get that one out for sure.

upgrade to turbo tie rods (Host Part #: TTK-930N)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #537 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
you'll get that one out for sure.

upgrade to turbo tie rods (Host Part #: TTK-930N)
I wish I knew what I am doing. Even reading the manuals is difficult. I'm so far out of my league that it's not funny, it's scary. I'm not playing around with some old simple Falcon here.

The other side's bolt came right out, but this side hits the bulkhead. They should have started it from the other side. Looks ilke the whole steering gear has to drop. I suppose I could replace those rubber covers while I'm down under.

I'm trying to figure out how the turbo tie rods attach? The ends are completely different and they do not even closely resemble stock. Seems like it would look goofy, like too much bling.

What's the benefit? Ease of adjustability? More robust? Cool looks?

Is there any sense or point in refurbishing these old pieces? The new stock ones are engineered better with locking nuts instead of locking clamps, right? Both ball joints have degraded rubber. Get new and bag these parts as original equipment, or refurb the original parts?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-30-2017, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #538 (permalink)

Garage
this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post

What's the benefit? Ease of adjustability? More robust?
and more solid steering feel. turbo like
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #539 (permalink)

Garage
I get it, did not realize the whole thing is changing out. I was only looking at half of the tie rod.

I'm going for it. Bag the old parts for posterity.

Ordered from host, thank you very much for the tip, Flo.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-30-2017 at 11:55 AM..
Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #540 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: