Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
That would be correct Ken.. unless you could position it exactly as it was.
Thanks for the response, Gary. Realignment it is, eyeballing it is not. You would have to have some good eyes to match it back exactly.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-18-2017 at 04:30 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #641 (permalink)

Hi Ken,

The part you were asking about is a round disc with a hole in it for the air conditioning pipe to enter the smugglers box. Hopefully picture attached. There is only one screw hole and a slot the other side which slides under the hole edge.

I can take a better picture if you'd like?

I'm taking mine to pieces at the minute and so it's all fresh in the brain!

Your Fuchs wheels appear to be different. The one in the trunk appers to be "With Hearts", whilst the wheel on the car doesn't appear to have the "Heart". Only a slight difference, but strange if they've always been with the car.

Look at the section where the valve is and you'll see what I mean by "Hearts".

Enjoying you're rebuild and it's very useful!

Regards,

Nick

Last edited by REV426; 12-18-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #642 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV426 View Post
Hi Ken,

The part you were asking about is a round disc with a hole in it for the air conditioning pipe to enter the smugglers box. Hopefully picture attached. There is only one screw hole and a slot the other side which slides under the hole edge.

I'm just going to leave mine open and use the smuggler's box as a time capsule. No telling what is in there under my AC evaporator now. With any luck I'll find my kid's college fund in there
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 12-18-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #643 (permalink)

I found 3 acres of Farm land and enough hay to feed a horse for a week in mine, so anything is possible!

:-)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #644 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV426 View Post
Hi Ken,

Your Fuchs wheels appear to be different. The one in the trunk appers to be "With Hearts", whilst the wheel on the car doesn't appear to have the "Heart". Only a slight difference, but strange if they've always been with the car.

Regards,

Nick

Funny how a rusty old part can make a grown man drool.

Thanks Nick, that's the part. Unobtanium, no longer available, which is a challenge, right? Must. Find. part. This will be a tough one.

I would not be surprised if some of the wheels are not original. I'll have to re-read the receipts, now that I know more what to look for. The driver's side fender and hood have been repaired and replaced, perhaps the wheel too. Quite a bit of the suspension components had been replaced.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-18-2017 at 04:33 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #645 (permalink)

Garage
Smuggler's box

I cleaned up the lower hole cap. It's rubber. Someone painted it. I was able to scrape some of the paint off with my fingernails and left it at that. It's fragile. Super glued the torn seam. The host shows unavailable, but I might have found one elsewhere.

That's all the refurb I'm doing in here. I have a new rubber fresh air box drain tube and one of those white plugs is hiding out. I added a thick rubber o-ring where the speedo cable goes through the bulkhead

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-19-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #646 (permalink)

Garage
Das Boot

Getting some little things out of the way

Finished smuggler's box, ordered new cap, new air box drain funnel. I had my hands on the missing little white plug, it's in the garage somewhere. The original cap still snaps in place. It's on there tight.

worked over the brake fluid reservoir and bracket, new clamps

worked over the washer reservoir

Added a rubber O-ring where there had been none, speedo cable

5-day rule, they're good, 5-day, 5-week, 5-month, they're always good

Hope I didn't muck it up

The question here is; do I re-install the second battery wiring and bracket? I kept all the parts, refurbished the straps. The cable needs new ends. Is a dual battery configuration that big a deal? Where do you ever see dual batteries in use other than a trailer package on a truck? Not many sports cars. Just wondering...

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #647 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
Where do you ever see dual batteries in use other than a trailer package on a truck? Not many sports cars. Just wondering...
Early MG B's had 2-6v, my TR6 and AH 3000's were 1 12v, not sure about others back then..
Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #648 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Early MG B's had 2-6v, my TR6 and AH 3000's were 1 12v, not sure about others back then..
Did my car start out as two 6-volt or two 12-volt batteries? It's been one battery for as long as I've known it. The battery in there is a really odd size, needs wood shims to secure it.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #649 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a weirdo. I could not believe both straps of the second battery box were still intact, and the original wire to the main battery. I made a cardboard box covered in black duct tape to fit in the battery box for the purpose of showcasing the strap and wire. The upper strap is on the verge of self destruction; heavy paper is stronger.

Red Green would be proud of my duct tape faux battery.
black

Replaced both hood struts while I was at it. I decided to powder coat the smuggler's box lid when I realized it was screwed on, not riveted on.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-21-2017 at 01:35 PM..
Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #650 (permalink)

Garage
Smuggler's Box Lid

I dropped by my powder coater yesterday. They are going out of business because of partners fighting. They all have new jobs with a competitor, even the good partner, who took my cover home to sand blast and called this morning to say it is finished.

The guy is going out of business today and did a 1-day turnaround on my lid so that I could get it before the building was vacated. $100.

It's more beautiful in person. Sway bar still poppin'.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 12-22-2017, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #651 (permalink)

Garage
Das Boot

Stick a fork in it, it's done. All the little holes have plugs, but the big hole is gong to be difficult.

It was all waiting on this drain funnel for the fresh air box

Lining up the fuel tank was tricky. Leave off all the bottom fittings. They can be installed later, from either side of the crossmember. The three holes for the anchor bolts were not readily visible without some serious prying. Sway bar still poppin'.

Cardboard faux battery, out of frame, new plugs for bumper bolt access holes

There's something missing. I think the old one fell in a trash can and disappeared. I wrapped the wood pieces in duct tape for the battery brace. I see some touch up work. The flash really shows every flaw vividly.

I took off the surface rust, the old glue residue and repainted the entire surface for uniformity. It's not rotisserie frame off quality, but it's clean enough to eat off.
Did I help it, hurt it, or does it really matter, about making the boot look better?

Rebel Racing strut brace, for looks, there is no racing going on here. I am medically disqualified for being unable to wear a helmet safely. The wearing of the helmet is the danger, not the driving. If I could only get a helmet waiver...

I put grommets where the strut brace bolt goes through the carpeting. Painted the fresh air inlet pieces. Replaced both struts, blower cover, spare tire, all rubber tubing and hose clamps. Powder coated smuggler's box lid. Replaced camber plates with SC camber plates. Saving originals in the original parts box.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-28-2017 at 06:17 AM..
Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #652 (permalink)

Garage
I took it all apart.

The new cap for the gas heater delete came in. Brand new rubber, tight. it took two hands to stretch it over the tube and fits like a glove.

The lid opens, coaxed the support braces for the blower cover.

The new filler tube sleeve and clamps came in. All parts made in Germany, all these parts, 99% of all the parts I've bought, except for some metric pan head bolts from ACE used on the headlight brackets.

I had replaced one camber plate with a used SC one, decided to get another used SC one and send them both to Shaun at Tru-6. The one I painted looks like the dickens, looks bad, real bad. They need zinc coating.

saving originals

I re-glued the front carpet piece. That's all I'm going to do up here.

That's about all I can do here

It's just waiting for parts to come home now.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-29-2017 at 10:24 PM..
Old 12-29-2017, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #653 (permalink)

Garage
Very good to See you heading foreward.
Soon you'll enjoy a nice 2018 season!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #654 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
Very good to See you heading foreward.
Soon you'll enjoy a nice 2018 season!
Thanks Flo, I hope I'm doing an acceptable job. It's quite a bit different from doing an old Falcon. I like period correctness for certain things, and modern add-ons that do not alter the original design, like changing from 1969 tie rods to new turbo tie rods, adding modern bushings but keeping the heater ducts NOS and little details like OEM plugs for bolt access holes.

I got all this done to find the washer on the supply nipple is not seating. Double checked the flow chart. Two lines gong to three going to two with a Y. And then you have to make sure the other end is hooked up correctly. Easy to get it wrong.

The crossmember and both A-arms have to come loose to make clearance. I back off the anchor bolts about " and the bar drops out of the way, but does not come off, being very careful not to back the steering box bolts all the way off.

The previous owner put a filter between the screened tank outlet and the pump, I just left it alone with new lines and hardware.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #655 (permalink)

Garage
Front torsion bar

Bob says it should go all the way in by hand. It is not sliding right in. Newbie move alert. Did not think to blow out the piece before assembly.

I'll try blowing it out, but looks like dis-assembly and re-assembly of the A-arms is imminent.

I greased the heck out of it, ran in there, twisting it to where I could feel the splines line up, and nothing. It is not going in by hand.

The two bolts holding the end of the A-arm should be loose, right? Or, does it matter? It sure doesn't matter if I have to take the whole thing apart.

Fuel tank fittings passed leak test, all hose clamps tight, all brake line fittings tight, powder coated rock guard re-installed.

Once the camber plates, calipers and hubs are back from plating the entire front end, top and bottom, is finished, kind of, it's never really finished is it.

Rebuilding the foot pedals is a worthwhile DIY, right? I've seen a few write-ups about it here. I was looking at those rusted anchor bolts, thinking the rest of the mechanism probably looks equally bad and rusted. Is it really DIY? I'm pulling it. I want a pic of it on my workbench, in pieces.

The before shot

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-03-2018 at 07:29 AM..
Old 01-02-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #656 (permalink)

Garage
Bob would have lent me his, but I'll use a screw-up as an excuse to acquire a new tool any day. He lent me his 11mm brake line wrench; I ended up asking him to put a new one for himself on my bill. I'm keeping it. I would not even look at brake work without one.

We'll see if 200 lbs pressure blows the debris out.

No activity on engine, the MFI is out for rebuild at a friend of Storz, the injection lines and throttle bodies are out for re-plating at Tru-6; everything on no-schedule as requested.

Here's another plug for Mark Motshagen's fan work.

What to do to the engine and tranny casings; slightly clean, extreme clean, clean and polish, no clean, what? Forget clean and polish, too much pressure to maintain.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-04-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #657 (permalink)

Garage
Ken

Do you plan on Carrera chain tensioners?

Also, I don't remember if I've said before but you should check out the 2 rubber fuel lines under the car. There is a place where the hard lines turn up towards the engine bay that has a short rubber line connecting the hard lines. Look near the heaterbox area but more in-board and up.

When I put the MFI back on my car these needed replacing bc they had deteriorated and had been accustomed to fuel psi for carbs.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #658 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewb0051 View Post
Ken

Do you plan on Carrera chain tensioners?

Also, I don't remember if I've said before but you should check out the 2 rubber fuel lines under the car. There is a place where the hard lines turn up towards the engine bay that has a short rubber line connecting the hard lines. Look near the heaterbox area but more in-board and up.

When I put the MFI back on my car these needed replacing bc they had deteriorated and had been accustomed to fuel psi for carbs.
Thanks for the recommendations. Matthew.

Carrera chain tensioners, check. Confirmed they are on the build sheet and ordered.

I wire brushed and clear coated metal lines with engine enamel, replaced all rubber lines and clamps from the bulkhead to the filter. I did not see the need to replace the tunnel lines. These have been in constant use since forever.

The clamps are from the host, the tubing from Storz, all OEM or NOS made in Germany specs where available

new filter insert, new lid strut, new firewall pad.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-05-2018 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #659 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
[SIZE="2"]
I did not see the need to replace the tunnel lines. These have been in constant use since forever.
Ken, i'm not sure if those lines are the same as in the SC's i've rebuilt but if they are the plastic lines I would ask you to give it another thought. Not only do they get restricted, but they get brittle with age and the "new improved" gas we use now. I believe Tony can make new ones for you, and now is the time to change them (engine out).. Just my $.02, for both safety and piece of mind..
Old 01-06-2018, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #660 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: