Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Ken, i'm not sure if those lines are the same as in the SC's i've rebuilt but if they are the plastic lines I would ask you to give it another thought. Not only do they get restricted, but they get brittle with age and the "new improved" gas we use now. I believe Tony can make new ones for you, and now is the time to change them (engine out).. Just my $.02, for both safety and piece of mind..
Thanks Gary,

Nice to know the forum watches out for noobs.

The two fuel lines and brake line going through the tunnel are metal. I inspected all four ends when I replaced the other fuel lines. They look OK, no rust.

I don't have a good shot of the rear ends, but the front ends look the same.

btw, I cleaned all the grease off the rack before putting it all back together.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-08-2018 at 03:57 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #661 (permalink)

Garage
Hubs

Shaun, Tru-6, is teasing me with photos of things to come. They are getting new inserts and bearings too. Hey Shaun, let's see those velocity stacks and lines.

Had to give up working in the garage for a bit. My electric bill tripled heating it. I have this monster 45,000 BTU propane heater for outdoor use that I can bring in for short periods, but it sucks all the oxygen out fairly quickly and with no outside vent, is slightly dangerous, but manageable.

I talked to Mike at Storz, he'll be able to give me the transfer case casing, when he rebuilds the guts. I was going to use a Dremel to clean and polish every square millimeter of it. Is that legit?

Basically, I want every piece I touch to look like it came from the factory when this thing hits the road, which sounds crazy when I say it out loud.

Any pitfalls about cleaning and polishing magnesium? I have a tube of this

The only shot of the hubs before

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #662 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Not sure what you have to do to keep those front hubs clean.

The fan and housing are magnesium. Magnesium loves to marry oxygen. There are a number of threads on fan refurb and opinions on coatings and preservation.

I just spent a lot of time and effort cleaning and polishing my fan. Note; not polished to a mirror sheen. I am using Gibbs. So far so good.

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #663 (permalink)

Garage
Way ahead of you Trackrash, I sent my fan to Mark Motshagen. Totally worth it. Far superior to anything i could have done.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #664 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
Thanks Gary,

Nice to know the forum watches out for noobs.

The two fuel lines and brake line going through the tunnel are metal. I inspected all four ends when I replaced the other fuel lines. They look OK, no rust.
They look fine, all I would do in that case is plug one end and fill with a cleaner, then blow them clean (or repeat until no crap came out). Wonder when they went to the replaceable tunnel lines, maybe the mid-years or SC?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #665 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
They look fine, all I would do in that case is plug one end and fill with a cleaner, then blow them clean (or repeat until no crap came out). Wonder when they went to the replaceable tunnel lines, maybe the mid-years or SC?
They were in constant use up until June and have sat in the garage since then. Will rust form on the inner surface of the tube?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #666 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
They were in constant use up until June and have sat in the garage since then. Will rust form on the inner surface of the tube?
Not unless water was present in the gas, but shoot some carb cleaner through them before buttoning them up, just MHO..
Old 01-18-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #667 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Hi Ken

I can't be sure, but the strut-to-ball joint connection in your photo (post #662) appears to be the 'pinch-bolt' style arrangement. There is a consensus amongst a number of sage members of the board this particular style of joint attachment should be replaced/upgraded. These were in fact, only used for 2(?) years & subsequently ditched by Porsche in favour of the wedge-pin style joint deemed to be a safer setup.

I am by no means trying to spend your money so maybe a few others guys could weigh in & give their opinions on the subject. I swapped mine for the 'newer' style to address apparent safety concerns for this style of connection & for my own peace of mind.

Enjoying your thread & using it as a reference & inspiration as I continue to plod along on my 1970.

Cheers
JB
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #668 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye's-911T View Post
Hi Ken

I can't be sure, but the strut-to-ball joint connection in your photo (post #662) appears to be the 'pinch-bolt' style arrangement.

Cheers
JB
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Hawk.

Yup, they are the pinch-bolt style. Nope, not upgrading. That would be two new struts, two new ball joints, two new inserts, too much over budget already. I do have both Falcons for sale. We'll see how they do, but I feel a bathing coming on.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #669 (permalink)

Garage
Tranny update

It's done. Dis-assembled and over-hauled by Bob at Storz. We cannot believe I put nearly 3,000 miles on it with a bunch of broken pieces. A testament to German engineering?

This part is normally a ring with ball bearings encased in it.

I did not see any point in saving old broken parts

I brought it home to go over it with a Dremel, de-burr it, get the surface oxidation off. It's a magnesium case, the first '69 tranny rebuild in the history of Storz.

It's my pet.

Here's the list

mainshaft and pinion ball bearings
update clamping plate, shims, bolts, washers. I think there is a factory memo on this.
replace shift sleeves; 1, R, 2, 3
replace dog rings; 1.2.3
replace all synchro rings
replace accelerator ball crank bushings
new gasket set

After I clean it, what should I do with it? Leave it alone, clear coat it, anything special I should know about? I'll have it for a couple months. Maybe I'll get my trailing arms back before the engine is done and I can put it back together myself.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-30-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-30-2018, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #670 (permalink)

Garage
If it comes out nice I think I would clear it with a satin clear from Eastwood that is resistant to gas/oil/etc. I actually painted mine with an Eastwood color that looks like fresh magnesium, looked good for many years!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #671 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
If it comes out nice I think I would clear it with a satin clear from Eastwood that is resistant to gas/oil/etc. I actually painted mine with an Eastwood color that looks like fresh magnesium, looked good for many years!
Thanks for the tip.

Here are the before pics

The test panel is upper left corner, too shiny with a steel wire brush

I tired a steel wire brush, too much, fabric, too little, brass wire; perfect with a light touch at low speed. I'm like a dental hygienist and this is a giant dirty tooth

I think I'll go rent a stand

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-31-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #672 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
I tired a steel wire brush, too much, fabric, too little, brass wire; perfect with a light touch at low speed. I'm like a dental hygienist and this is a giant dirty tooth
How do you like that Dremel 4300?

My regular one is tired. It kicks in only at speed level #5.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 01-31-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-31-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #673 (permalink)

Garage
I'm gonna say that transmission would be a paint candidate for me, get it as clean as possible, tape up the nuts/studs/etc., go with a a medium silver..
Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #674 (permalink)

Transmission looks great Ken! Just hit it with a light spray of CRC marine corrosion inhibitor, it's a modern version tectyl/cosmoline.

Calipers are at the plater.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #675 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
How do you like that Dremel 4300?

My regular one is tired. It kicks in only at speed level #5.
It's awesome. I got the whole kit and caboodle on Amazon, mainly to get the wand. Makes it much easier to get in crevices and one-hand it. I like holding a shop vac with the other hand, dust-free, it's like a surgeon or dentist with two hands in your gut or mouth, instead of taping the vac to the Dremel which impedes the range of motion of the Dremel.

I just found this kit for $15

Quote:
I'm gonna say that transmission would be a paint candidate for me, get it as clean as possible, tape up the nuts/studs/etc., go with a a medium silver..
Thanks, but pass on color paint. It never lasts and requires maintenance. Something clear for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Transmission looks great Ken! Just hit it with a light spray of CRC marine corrosion inhibitor, it's a modern version tectyl/cosmoline.

Calipers are at the plater.
Sweet and double sweet. Up close, there is a lot of surface grime and oxidation that comes right off. Your work is going to look awesome on this thing. We're getting closer to completion. Bob started on the engine this week, after eight months. I said, not so fast, buckaroo, I'm not ready for it.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 02-01-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #676 (permalink)

Garage
Tranny stand

Don't you love a good excuse to buy a new tool? No excuse is good too. Fifty bucks at Harbor Freight. I'm loaded for bear now, Bubba.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 02-01-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #677 (permalink)

Garage
When disassembled my trans got bleached.
But nonetheless you may want to try oven cleaner at first to de-gunk the surface.

https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #678 (permalink)

Garage
Parts coming home

Wow, back to OEM specs, thanks to Shaun at Tru-6. These are going to need some dirty wet road action, they're too pretty.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 02-02-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #679 (permalink)

Really nice let me know if you ever want to sell it
Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #680 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: