Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Who reassembles the calipers for you to ever drive/brake safely?!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #681 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
Who reassembles the calipers for you to ever drive/brake safely?!
I can put the parts together and then Storz will make sure it is all correct when I take it back to have the engine installed.

I do the bleeding beforehand and make sure all the fittings are tight and drip-free.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 04-06-2018 at 07:16 AM..
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #682 (permalink)

Garage
Added new spring plates covers.

Added new spring plate covers to match the cadmium re-plated spring plates and leave all the black parts in the original parts bin.

A friend makes these wrenches, had to have one.

I'm just showing off the art, with P-car parts for relevance.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 02-12-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #683 (permalink)

Garage
My old girlfirend made Bob at Storz a gift, a Top Knot by Di beanie after he saw mine and complimented it. His is 2nd gen, nicer. I complimented his to her and I get a new one too.

The engine rebuild is right off schedule as directed, to the glee of Bob and Mike. it's not a rare customer (for them) with no time expectations. Nobody likes to be rushed. If someone tries to rush me, I shut down.

Bob thinks he might start the tear-down in a few weeks, to get me the tin work for powder coating. A friend wants to fly out from Philly to help me re-assemble the rear suspension and brakes. We'll set that up for April, so still no rush on the engine. The timing could work out.

Zero progress on tranny, too cold, too lazy, expert procrastinator

Storz usually has a 356's in the garage

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 03-02-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #684 (permalink)

Garage
Ken, so how's it going?!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #685 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
Ken, so how's it going?!
Funny you ask! It's not, and it has not for weeks but...

Next month, my friend Bill is flying in from Philly, which according to Shaun, will be right after I get all my parts back from Tru-6. Bill, a college pal from '70, has been rebuilding an '83 SC for the last 10 years and is just flying out here to help me put Red back together before it goes to storz to get the engine installed, maybe by June or July. They took me seriously when I said no time frame required. I'm now their favorite engine rebuild. I never call. Stop by from time-to-time, but just to say hi and look at eye candy.

In the meantime, I got a new set of wheels for some mountain bike trails, not mountain biking, biking on mountain trails made for bikes, although I can take it moderate off trail. They are coming out with a set of balloon tires.

I saw this foldable E-bike about a year ago, got one for $850, now they're $1250, and they'll keep going up. Good Grief! They already did go up, now they're $1450. It was an Indiegoggo start up out of Denmark. It was the first fold up I found with a substantially robust frame and adjustable articulated suspension. The bike cruises. Fits in trunk. The bag is from Amazon.

I'm thinking I should rebuild the pedal assembly. Is that a DIY less than 5 wrenches in difficulty?

I've read the tutoriual here, looks pretty straight forward, except for some trickiness about some springs. Springs that will not go back can be troublesome. From the looks of the rusty floor anchor bolts, the assembly has never been removed.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 03-15-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #686 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post

I'm thinking I should rebuild the Porsche pedal assembly. Is that a DIY less than 5 wrenches in difficulty?

I've read the tutoriual here, looks pretty straight forward, except for some trickiness about some springs. Springs that will not go back can be troublesome. From the looks of the rusty floor anchor bolts, the assembly has never been removed.

[/SIZE]
you should do it. now.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #687 (permalink)

Garage
Tru-6

The parts are starting to cone back

Can anyone help me ID the parts in the next two photos?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 03-29-2018, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #688 (permalink)

Ken, the brass tubes go into the thimbles which go into the rear caliper pistons and secured with the compression clips. Bob at Storz will know what to do when assembling your calipers.

Quote:

Can anyone help me ID the parts in the next two photos?

These are the clamps that thread onto the spindles of your front struts. The M7 allen head bolts go in them. I packed the M7s with the black zinc phosphate caliper hardware. I think they are M7 x 18mm shank length.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2018, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #689 (permalink)

Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #690 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you Shaun

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 03-29-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #691 (permalink)

Garage
minor progress

Got the tranny all cleaned up, decided not to coat it with CRC until it's in the car. Why make it all messy and slippery and hard to work with?

The Ranchero sold after the BaT auction for the reserve that it did not make during the auction. I came away slightly bruised but not upside down, the buyer came away with the deal of a lifetime.

The air cleaner is finished with new powdercoat and re-plated hardware by Tru-6

Bill is coming out from Philly to help me re-assemble the brakes and rear suspension, which is welcome, being slightly over my head, but so far, so good, eh?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 04-01-2018, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #692 (permalink)

Garage
Dropped by Storz to pick up the engine tinwork for powder coating

No surprises...

They had a full stable today

This Speedster has a 912 engine

a twofer

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 04-03-2018, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #693 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:

Deja vu. My first car was a 64 Comet Caliente in white. I have always loved that style.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-03-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #694 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Deja vu. My first car was a 64 Comet Caliente in white. I have always loved that style.
This one is a Holman-Moody Mante Carlo Rallye Falcon tribute, with several of their suspension mods; Monte Carlo Bar, Crossmember, Sub-frame connectors, F & R anti-sway bars, and Traction Masters for fun (no 9" rear end) but posi-traction, and front disc brakes. I can add 25mph to curves' speed recommendations and not even test it.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #695 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferT View Post
69 always had opening wind wings.
keystone jacks
69 Porsche or Falcon?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-04-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #696 (permalink)

Garage
Back at it

The calipers are at Storz for expert re-assembly and no worries by the driver, me.

@Porscheman and I can install these parts and all the peripherals.

All this beautiful re-plating work by Shaun at Tru-6 Restorations came home today. Cerakote on the trailing arms, all new bushings, all new bearings, all re-plated brake parts.

I might be on the road by the end of summer, for sure in the fall, for some mountain road break-in driving before winter sets in. I should sell it but I don't need to and I don't want to.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #697 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
69 Porsche or Falcon?
This has been discussed earlier. The experts determined that the '69 Targas did have, but the coupes did not have operational vent wings from the factory, although apparently, it became a popular mod.

Gene can date this car's vent wing mod to 1974 on the Zuffenhausen factory floor, as authorized by Dr. Piech when Gene attended the Porsche Parade at Nurburgring, as I have been told by Gene, A USNA Graduate and retired Rear-Admiral, who celebrates his 100th birthday today.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 04-18-2018 at 05:42 AM..
Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #698 (permalink)

Garage
Trailing arms

Back from Tru-6 and installed with no issues.

Cerakote, new bushings, new bearings

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 04-20-2018, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #699 (permalink)

Garage
Progress

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 04-22-2018, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #700 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: