Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Zinc all the way!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #741 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Zinc all the way!
I agree.

I've been debating it in my pea brain for the last hour. I'm going with the yellow zinc for some functional bling to go with a few other blingy pieces like the brake calipers, dust covers, all the new lines, WEVO engine mounts, all new hardware everywhere.

I'll keep the originals in the original parts bin.

It's the little things that make a difference. Bleeder valve covers

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #742 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWLoosenuts View Post
wow! Everything Wow!!
Thanks

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #743 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great

The cylinders, pistons and heads look really good.

And I agree, the zinc colored spring plates will look great.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #744 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschaman View Post
The cylinders, pistons and heads look really good.

And I agree, the zinc colored spring plates will look great.
Bob's coming over to help install them. The suspension, brakes, brake and fuel lines, engine bay and boot refurbish will all be 100% finished, rebuilt to OEM specs or replaced with OEM or NOS parts.

I expect you to come back to help break-in the engine with a road trip to Mt. Rushmore. I need to re-create this shot with Red in it.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 08-17-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #745 (permalink)

Garage
Now that's the way to travel! I'll start working on getting the trip approved. Maybe start with some flowers.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #746 (permalink)

Garage
Patience pays off

When I first got the car, it had an inferior radio, which I removed with extreme prejudice. Impulsively, I bought a Blaupunkt Frankfort, knowing I needed a New Yorker, which would have matched the original invoice, but was seemingly unobtanium. I had found a New Yorker in London, rebuilt with bluetooth for $1800. Lucky for me it was sold.

The Frankfort has stayed in the closet.

I could not believe my eyes; this New Yorlker came on the classified today, 18 months later. Dibs.

...another example of all good things come to those who wait.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 09-10-2018 at 05:28 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #747 (permalink)

Garage
Check this out about the Frankfort. It never occurred to me at the time, but all the serial numbers had been removed. It was plain as day in the photos, but I never even noticed it, until today when I pulled it out of the box to photograph it. After I test it, back on here and eBay with it. You can plainly see the numbers have been purposely removed. Makes me wonder if it was stolen at some point.

Can anyone determine anything from the B number?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 09-09-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #748 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in trouble now

Santa Claus came early in the form of Shaun at Tru-6. The throttle body assemblies came back.

I have all new gaskets and line clamps.

Shaun does a great job of packaging

Pretty and scary...

The block is clean, the rebuilt MFI unit is back, the intake is back, ther heads and cylinders with pistons are done, the engine tin is done, it's really close now.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #749 (permalink)

Garage
Throttle bodies

Three pieces per side, the throttle body, the velocity stack, the air cleaner box...how many combinations, 9 gazillion?

I'm studying my photos, I'm looking at the schematics. It kind of looks like I got it but not really. I'm looking in the shop manual, I'm looking in each of four books, not a single thing that explains how to put this stuff back together. Nothing on setting the jets or idle screws, nothing on setting the push rods or pull rods.

Is there a book on throttle Body assemblies?

This is one of those hurts-my-brain-project and then get the checkbook out for the pro before I burn the house down around the car. Watch it sit on the dining room table for several months. Hands off...eat in the kitchen!

I thought I had it right but the left side looks wrong in this photo, the throttle body looks backwards

I turned the throttle body around left the stack the way it was, which looks right but is not the way the schematic shows.

What does the microswitch do?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #750 (permalink)

Garage
i can take a pic of my engine sitting on the floor if that would help
72 mfi 2.4
Hank Clarkson ,Craig Waldner ,Don Kean ,Leroy Axel Gains
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #751 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarp View Post
i can take a pic of my engine sitting on the floor if that would help
72 mfi 2.4
Thanks for the offer. Storz had one on a stand that I was able to photograph from all angles.

Check this hand made aluminum body 356

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #752 (permalink)

Garage
Throttle bodies

Before, I did a lousy job of taking pics, as in not enough.

Today. I looked at new metal horns from the host. At $100 each, pass. These have lasted 49 years, should be good enough for a few more. The cold start raw fuel squirtring into the air box has been disabled, practically eliminating the cause of the plastic ones catching on fire.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 09-26-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #753 (permalink)

Garage
sweet!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 09-23-2018, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #754 (permalink)

Garage
Glam shot of intakes

Everything is lining up perfectly. Just need a few more linkage parts from Shaun and Pelican to finish this line item. Fan and fan housing by Mark Motshagen in L.A., re-plating of throttle bodies, velocity stacks, injection lines, and hardware by Tru-6 in Boston, local powder coating in semi-gloss black; the car is bi-coastal. All re-plating meets OEM specs. It will never be a concourse car, but it will have a boatload of concourse qualifying parts on it.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #755 (permalink)

Garage
Throttle body linkage and injection lines

Almost there, still need parts 19,20,40,41,38, & 39 on illustration 107-25.

I adjusted the idle screws on the center venturies to just after the butterfly moved and then backed off. Coincidentally, all six head slots are facing the same direction. I will not mess with the jets. I think the linkage is right.

These four aluminum pieces would have dissolveded in the re-plating process. They're not getting replaced. Some pieces will have to look like survivors.

From all four angles. Missing all the parts holding the pivot arm on the cross shaft

Every piece gets proper nuttage, and I learned about the reverse thread 5mm for each arm

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 09-26-2018 at 06:30 AM..
Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #756 (permalink)

Garage
Throttle bodies

Stick a fork in 'em, they're done, bonafide and certified correct by Storz and ready for installation.

Every piece in place as per illustration 107-25

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 09-25-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #757 (permalink)

Garage
Nice job, they look amazing. Getting close to hittin' the road!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #758 (permalink)

Garage
Engine shroud refurbish

Does anyone have some advice on what to do with this, or what not do with it?

I cleaned it with solvents and 4000 grit wet but the black seems to be ingrained. Seems a shame to put all the new shiny pieces on this without trying to make it look a little better, if that is possible, without damagng it.

There are many of these for '74 and later but seemingly unbobtanium for early years. This one is in good shape, has two little flaws, and the impregnated oil stains.

I'm trying to find a thread I thought I saw here years ago about someone who spent 1,000's of hours refurbishing one back to pristine.

I'm sure it's a good idea to NOT put power tools on it.

Or, do I just leave it alone?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #759 (permalink)

It looks really nice as is Ken, I would leave it alone.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #760 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: