Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Couldn't leave it alone

...had to try this, or never sleep again. Concrete Degreaser. Says right on it, "Concrete Only" 5 to 8 hours or overnight. It works like a charm on concrete for any dark stains.

I left it on 5 hours, got nervous. I'll leave it alone now.

Spread on with a throw away brush

After polishing with Meguires metal polish, I can live with this

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 09-29-2018 at 06:26 AM..
Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #761 (permalink)

you are a madman Ken!
Old 09-29-2018, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #762 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
you are a madman Ken!
Guilty. I gave it a facial.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-27-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Old 09-29-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #763 (permalink)

Garage
That took some nerve, but it turned out great! What brand of concrete degreaser did you use?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #764 (permalink)

Good ole Merican ingenuity.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #765 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschaman View Post
That took some nerve, but it turned out great! What brand of concrete degreaser did you use?
Goof-Off, from Home Depot paint dept. I have also used Pull-it-Out, on concrete. They both work the same on concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Good ole Merican ingenuity.
...or good ole Merican idiocy. I think I'm damn lucky it did not ruin the shroud. It might have, if I left it on any longer. Right now, I'm buffing out the white lines with a dremel. After a couple hours last night, I figure it will take about 1000 hours to do the whole thing.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #766 (permalink)

Garage
Fan housing strap timing decal

I saved the original decal, but a repro or NOS would be nice.

What is the purpose of the strap? To keep the housing round with high heat?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 10-14-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #767 (permalink)

Car-Bone.pl - Flatsix Design
Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #768 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Shaun. Ordered one.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-14-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #769 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
What is the purpose of the strap? To keep the housing round with high heat?

Ken, the fan housing strap simply keeps the housing aligned and in place, locked to the engine block.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #770 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Gary,

You got me thinking about how and then I dug up this pic. Oh yeah, now I remember...

photo

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 10-15-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #771 (permalink)

Garage
Progress...

...measured in glacial speeds, as instructed to the builder.

Regarding the spring plates, they gave me some silicone lubricant that they use, instructions and encouragement to try the longer bolt thing if I cannot get them close enough manually.

The peripheral engine parts are finished. The MFI has been rebuilt, all new internals. The crank, cam and distributor passed inspection. I had recently changed to electronic ignition.

The case, just the case...

Six of these beauties lined up

Carrera spring tensioners, SC valve covers, rebuilt MFI, rebuilt re-plated throttle bodies, injection lines, linkage, fan and fan housing, rebuilt tranny, rebuilt suspension

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 12-21-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #772 (permalink)

Garage
Wheels

I decided to get them refurbished by Greg Dunn, total impulse buy. I ran across him by accident, took it as a sign from God to get my wheels done by Dunn.

Here are the before pics.

What about these heat exchangers? I painted them with VHT aluminum, 7 or 8 coats. I was wondering how this stuff will hold up and maybe I should get them ceramic coated, while they're out. Plus the aluminum finish is really bright. It doesn't look right. What about a grey matte finish?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #773 (permalink)

Garage
I love this thread.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #774 (permalink)

I think the finish on the exchangers look good. Where they go I wouldn’t worry about them being too bright. Did you blast them before paint? Project is amazing. You are more patient than most.

Good stuff.

Steve Mc.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #775 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Ken, the VHT will burn off of those, regardless of the prep you did to them, very quickly. I painted a muffler for an old school, Massey Ferguson tractor with VHT header paint (the highest temp they have), cured it following their directions, and the paint lasted about 3 operations of the tractor before it started to crumple and lift, and the muffler now looks like absolute shiit. I should have had it ceramic coated (did that with all the exhaust plumbing on my 1987 Turbo about 10 years ago and the coating still looks great).
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #776 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Ken, the VHT will burn off of those, regardless of the prep you did to them, very quickly. I painted a muffler for an old school, Massey Ferguson tractor with VHT header paint (the highest temp they have), cured it following their directions, and the paint lasted about 3 operations of the tractor before it started to crumple and lift, and the muffler now looks like absolute shiit. I should have had it ceramic coated (did that with all the exhaust plumbing on my 1987 Turbo about 10 years ago and the coating still looks great).
Agree 100%, if you want them to look good and stay looking good (and have the benefit of lees heat radiating from them) get them cermaic coated..
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #777 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWLoosenuts View Post
I love this thread.
Thanks for the encouragement. This is a fantastic forum. I'm lucky I found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamecanada View Post
I think the finish on the exchangers look good. Where they go I wouldn’t worry about them being too bright. Did you blast them before paint? Project is amazing. You are more patient than most.

Good stuff.

Steve Mc.
I've always been on the fence, with the painting vs coating. I just fell off.

Forced patience of capitulation to forces I have no control over. Not really a virtue, but patience in general is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
That's what I've been thnking since I did them. They were bead blasted, VHT header paint and they look great, for about a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Agree 100%, if you want them to look good and stay looking good (and have the benefit of lees heat radiating from them) get them cermaic coated..
That's all I needed to hear. One call to find this guy, Pristine Powder Coating is located in Denver, Colorado

OK then, exchangers and muffler ceramic coated to match.

I have a mental block about tackling the spring plates. I can only curse at them as I pass by the box of parts, but I did get the long bolts and special lube from Storz. I'm ready, able and un-willing.

24.5 degrees before trailing arm is attached.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-18-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #778 (permalink)

Garage
Muffler

Son of a biscuit. I googled "Porsche heat exchangers", images, decided to use aluminum finish and came to the realization that if I do the exchangers I should also do the muffler. Rawknees' Massey Ferguson tractor's muffler comes to mind. Imagine the half-assed horror show of coated exchangers and painted muffler.

One thing is never one thing, it's always multiple things to do one thing. I'm getting used to it.

I see that door trim piece needing recovering. My friend Bill knows where to get the material.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 01-18-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #779 (permalink)

Garage
get going Good work!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 01-18-2019, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #780 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: