Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Killer info. Thank you, Scott. No powder coating, got it.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

The guy who restores fans and housings is Mark Motshagen (sp) in LA. He can be found on the Early 911S Registry if you search or his name. He offers different finish options as well and did a great job on my old 67S.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Great info, thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Righteous Indignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
I'm refurbishing the luggage straps. Cannot say if they are original or not. They look it. Clean the leather, eat the stale pecan waffle.

One of these might be a replacement, they don't match exactly

Which one is original?
Sorry to say but, I don't believe either of those are original Porsche. They look lke home mades to me. There are a number of really nice repros out there.

Oh yeah, Hilda lost
I was wrong again but I will not apologize. I am a madman,
Guy/Beygon
Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

This is a great story, I'll try to keep up with it. Funny too, I have a 63 Falcon hardtop "project" as well as my 72 911E. Man I need to get the darn Falcon done so I can work on the 911 again! It's been apart for about 15 years now......
Whole bunch of Lionel Trains in da basement
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
Sorry to say but, I don't believe either of those are original Porsche. They look lke home mades to me. There are a number of really nice repros out there.
They probably are homemade. Gene grew up on a West Texas horse ranch, went to a one room schoolhouse K-12, and was fluent in Castilian Spanish before he was accepted into the Naval Academy. I'll save them for posterity in vacuum seal.

I found these online, $135. Wanted brown, not black.

Last edited by kghjr; 02-26-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 724doorE View Post
I have a 63 Falcon hardtop "project" as well as my 72 911E. Man I need to get the darn Falcon done so I can work on the 911 again! It's been apart for about 15 years now......
Which model Falcon? Some are more valuable than others, particularly the coupe Sprints. They are being turned into pro touring cars, but the stock ones are still popular.

The early Falcon Monte Carlo Rallye cars were prepared by Holman Moody. Lots of clones are being made.

Carroll Shelby prepared the '64/'65 Monte Carlo Rallye cars. Ford deployed the Rallye cars at the same time the GT40's were being raced against Ferrari at Le Mans an the rest of the sports cars circuit. I believe Ford is still the only manufacturer in history to sweep Le Mans overall, 1,2,3, in '69.

Mine is a mild mod; C-4, front disc, GT350 suspension mods, wheels, that's it

Old 02-26-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
pmax, I wouldn't either; the jack under the trans was just to take the pressure off the support brace, while I changed the bushings. The car was being held up by the orange jack stands under both sides of the ends of the torsion bar, plus the rear mounts were in place.

I do appreciate your looking out for me. Jack stand accidents can be life altering in the best case, life ending, in the worst case.

Last edited by kghjr; 02-26-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
pmax, I wouldn't either; the jack under the trans was just to take the pressure off the support brace, while I changed the bushings. The car was being held up by the orange jack stands under both sides of the ends of the torsion bar, plus the rear mounts were in place.
Yeah, I didn't notice the other stands before my now deleted post.

Quote:
I do appreciate your looking out for me. Jack stand accidents can be life altering in the best case, life ending, in the worst case.
You're welcome

I also chock the wheels when the car is up on the stands.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Brilliant minds think alike, eh?

Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Thanks for the offer Ken! I have the polygraphite Pelican bushings lying on my workbench. Maybe I will do them this weekend. It looks like it is a pretty simple task.
2001 Eurovan Weekender - Bruni
Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hi Kristoph, Sorry about delayed response. I'm practically done. I just got the brace out today and cleaned it up. The old bushings can be drilled out and discarded. The new ones are split like a bagel and require no pressing, they slide right in.

I bought two sets of bushings by accident, want one? I'm try to figure out the difference of characteristics of polyurethane (Rebel) vs polygraphite (Pelican) to decide which set to use. For everyday use, I doubt there is significant differences.

these are the Pelican poly-grqphite

I've been reading both your threads with keen interest, Ken - fascinating story!
I'm curious which transmission mounts you ended up using, Pelican or Rebel Racing? I contacted Clint at Rebel after seeing your post about their mounts and he tells me the Pelican polygraphite (made by Rebel) is for the 915 transmission mount and that they were not able to fit them in the 901 crossbar properly. I will order their 901 mounts for my 1970 911T, unless you tell me Pelican ones, which are less expensive, fit fine!

Last edited by 911T70; 02-27-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911T70 View Post
I've been reading both your threads with keen interest, Ken - very interesting story!
I'm curious which transmission mounts you ended up using, Pelican or Rebel Racing? I contacted Clint at Rebel after seeing your post about their mounts and he tells me the Pelican polygraphite (made by Rebel) is for the 915 transmission mount and that they were not able to fit them in the 901 crossbar properly. I will order their 901 mounts for my 1970 911T, unless you tell me Pelican ones, which are less expensive, fit fine!
I'm too impulsive, I did not want to wait for the Rebel poly urethane and I had the Pelican poly graphite in hand, so I installed them. They fit right in. I'll put the Rebels in the redundant parts bin with the extra set of motor mounts.

You'll notice a previous post advising graphite is a softer ride than urethane, so I think I lucked out. I don't notice any difference in the ride, but there is no question the old ones were all worn out.

I had to destroy the old ones by drilling them out around the edge of the metal, like a dotted line around the center. They do not come out easily. The new ones fit perfectly.

A little tricky getting it back on. First, attach the two long transmission stud nuts loosely, then start each of the ends, torque them down, finish with the back studs, torque all four down.

The hardest part of the job was cleaning 40 years of gunk off the parts, which I should have done after I took it off. Important not to have any weight on the jack under the trans, just support to take the pressure off the support brace.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the information, Ken. Mine are in bad shape but not as rough as yours. I think I'll wait until I'm sure what to do. Please let us know if the Rebels have the same shape as the ones you installed. According to the photos on their website, they look different, more symetrical.

I see you used a flat washer. I found threads where there's a debate on whether to used big, curved washers and in which orientation, but that's another can of worms!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Michel, I noticed the old washers were the curved ones, but I opted to use the washers that came with the bushings. I think, with the poly graphite, the thick washer is designed to work with the piece, whereas, imo, the curved washers are designed to be used with rubber, which has more give than poly, and needs a limiter.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
More minor clean up.

Looking for where any oil is coming out...
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Final on the transmission support brace. I changed from the Pelican poly graphite to the Rebel poly urethane for no other reason than the Rebels are exactly like the ones that came off the car and the Pelicans have the muffin top, which works, but is not correct.

I documented the procedure here, transmission support brace bushings

It's a much cleaner look, without the muffin top, and the washers are also correct now, in the correct direction.

Last edited by kghjr; 03-04-2017 at 02:29 AM..
Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo-mon View Post
Get the engine tuned, get AAA, and hit the road!
Valves adjusted, engine tuned, all fluids changed, all zerks greased, motor and trans mounts changed, all systems go. Leave Wednesday on a 1,000 mile road trip; Denver to ABQ via I-25, ABQ to Denver via US Hwy 285.

If this trip works out, maybe I'll drive it to Spokane this summer for the Porsche Parade.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Added O.E.M. wheel locks and Pertronix pointless ignition from Pelican.

I looked at the Porsche brand but they have keys and too many pieces.

... goes perfectly with the ignition electronics already onboard.

Tomorrow, heading for Albuquerque, but not turning left, turning around.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Departed Denver 4:00 pm, arrived Santa Fe 10:00 pm

St. Francis de Assisi Catholic Church

Arrived Albuquerque 12:00 am, 75 to 80 mph the entire way, except through towns of course, and there was a brief stint at 100 when a Lexus and an Audi passed us so we had to determine how fast they we're going amd tag along for a bit.

I rigged up some tunes, but we ended just listening to their motor for 100's of miles.

UE MegaBoom Bluetooth speaker on camera mount

One of the purposes of this trip was to test the feasibility off driving it to Spokane this summer. Pass. It's unbelievably comfortable on long trips.

Additionally, it burned about 3/4 quart of oil. No drip evident on concrete from sitting overnight.

Last edited by kghjr; 03-09-2017 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-09-2017, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: