Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Any News?!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #781 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
Any News?!
No news on the rims and exhaust and I still have a mental block about the spring plates, but I did stop cussing at them, so it's a start.

I had lunch down by Storz. Pete's Kitchen is a blcok away. Popped in after.

The engine is ready for reassembly, maybe by the end of spring, but end of summer for sure. Again, no rush; the wheels and exhaust parts are out for months. Bob will come help with the spring plates if I have not done them by the time he's ready. He's done 100's of 'em for 40 years.

The car is exactly as the COA and Kardex state, for the first time in 35+ years, having found a Blaupunkt New Yorker on this forum, thank you very much.

The cases, crank and cam shafts passed inspection.

A pile o' parts

While I was at Storz

It had been a wrecked 356 coupe. Hand re-built by a guy in Denver, Colorado, using lots of aluminum.

English Wheel rolled body panels

custom design hand built tank, the builder wishes he had as wall art

356 engine

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 02-15-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #782 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
The struts had to be let loose from the top to get them out of the way. I give this one a one wrench difficulty, basically just put it on, center it, and bolt it together.

Driver's side

Passenger side

I finally bought the swaybar and I'm ready to install it. The instructions say to enlarge the openings in the body to prevent the bar from rubbing. I did a trial fit last night and it looks like it will rub if the holes are not enlarged. Did you enlarge yours? Wonder if it's a big deal if there's a bit of friction?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #783 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911T70 View Post
I finally bought the swaybar and I'm ready to install it. The instructions say to enlarge the openings in the body to prevent the bar from rubbing. I did a trial fit last night and it looks like it will rub if the holes are not enlarged. Did you enlarge yours? Wonder if it's a big deal if there's a bit of friction?
I did not enlarge the holes. There was clearance all the way around the bar, but now I wonder if it will make a difference under load. I hate squeaky noises. If it squeaks, it's coming off. I have not driven the car since I put on the sway bar. Right after that I tore it apart.

I'm no engineer but I think if there is friction, it will rub off the finish and make the area prone to rust, which might or might not matter in the grand scheme of things. It's not really open to the elements in there. If there is friction I think it would make a scraping noise too.

Now you got me thinking. Was there clearance or did I ignore it? That was 20 months ago and I'm old. I'll have to take it apart to find out. Not today.

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 08-25-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #784 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
I did not enlarge the holes. There was clearance all the way around the bar, but now I wonder if it will make a difference under load. I hate squeaky noises. If it squeaks, it's coming off. I have not driven the car since I put on the sway bar. Right after that I tore it apart.

I'm no engineer but I think if there is friction, it will rub off the finish and make the area prone to rust, which might or might not matter in the grand scheme of things. It's not really open to the elements in there. If there is friction I think it would make a scraping noise too.

Now you got me thinking. Was there clearance or did I ignore it? That was 20 months ago and I'm fukken old. I'll have to take it apart to find out. Not today.
20 months! Time flies!

I'm not too concerned about rust or squeaks, although I also hate squeaks. I hate rust even more. I'm more concerned about damaging the bar and affecting its spring rate. I bought a tungsten carbide bit and will enlarge the openings using a Dremel tool - it should help.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #785 (permalink)

Garage
Spring plates

All that fretting about it for nothing. I used the long bolts, start with the top two, draw them 3/4 ths down. Then a long bolt in the the bottom hole with the spacer, draw all three down to end. By that time an OEM short bolt will go in the fourth hole, remove the top long bolts, one at a time and replace with OEM short bolts. Finish with OEM short bolt and spacer on lower back bolt.

t took about 4 hours for both. I put the spring plate on the bar and inserted the whole thing to get the 24 degrees, rather than inserting the bar and then positioning the spring plate on the end of the bar.

I guess we'll find out if I matched them when the rims get back and we put it on the ground.

Lube it good

There are right and left markings on the torsion bars

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 04-19-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Old 04-17-2019, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #786 (permalink)

Garage
thumbs up!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #787 (permalink)

Garage
Nobody tell Ken that Elephant Racing have fantastic hollow torsion bars!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #788 (permalink)

Garage
Cleaned up the wheel well a bit

Are the end caps available anywhere?

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 04-28-2019 at 08:35 PM..
Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #789 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel tank

Three of the hundreds of new little parts all over the car.

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 05-07-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #790 (permalink)

Garage
Added new door seals

I know, big whoop.

The driver's side lower edge looked like swiss cheese. The passenger side looked like new, but both sides are new now.

'69 911E
Old 05-05-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #791 (permalink)

Garage
No holes wthout a plug

The host has the plugs.

No plug

Plug, from host

The shop that rebuilt my seat has the exact material to re-cover the top piece of the door panel. He'll sell me just what I need and there's a Tandy Leather shop on the way to get the hole punches. They look like two sizes to me, the hole for the lock pull is bigger than the screw hole. Yea! New tools.

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 05-09-2019 at 06:22 AM..
Old 05-06-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #792 (permalink)

Garage
I really like your map pockets!!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #793 (permalink)

Garage
The wheels are back

Quote:
Any News?!
News? I got news.

Thanks to Greg Dunn at Greg Gear Head. Less than four months seems fast to me. If this is not concourse qualifying, nothing is. Not that I will ever show it as concourse. Somebody down the line might want to, with a bit more work. I'm guessing every new replacement piece I have done qualifies.

Anodized with Porsche matching sheen automotive paint. You cannot powder coat over anodize, I'm told.

The before shots

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 05-08-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #794 (permalink)

Garage
sweet!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #795 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
sweet!
I know, right? Greg is a perfectionist.

Photos do not come close to how they really look. I'm getting them mounted in an hour. I can get some pics of them on the car with new the lug nuts and new painted center caps. I even got one of those magnesium lug sockets for the new lugs.

Next week I get the heat exchangers and muffler back. They got blasted yesterday.

'69 911E
Old 05-08-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #796 (permalink)

Garage
Four on the floor

All four wheels are on the ground, 23 months later. Reconditioned original wheels, new lugs, new center caps

The torsion bars have not been adjusted for height.

The rear looks about right, with no motor or tranny

I saved the old center caps for posterity. Two are missing emblems, which had been painted. The old ones are substantially more robust than the replacements. They are secured with set screws and can only be removed from the rear if the wheel is off the car. The new ones are spring loaded, remove them with a small screwdriver from the front.

'69 911E

Last edited by kghjr; 05-12-2019 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #797 (permalink)

Garage
Front end

All I had to do was take the tension off the adjustment cam on both sides and it came right down. It get's a front and rear alignment before it's all done.

It's getting towed to body shop for blemish removal on Monday, little dings and scrapes are all over it. They do not give it character, they are the look of parking in public parking lots regularly.

'69 911E
Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #798 (permalink)

Garage
Off to body shop

Taking care of door dings, one big scratch, and a professional detail.

'69 911E
Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #799 (permalink)

Looking good, Ken. Keep up the good work!! You'll have given the car a new lease on life when done along with making it a pleasure to drive for decades to come. I notice you have the side glass vents that open. My car has the fixed. I think they came both ways but don't remember for sure, but I think mine is fairly early. The VIN ends with 612. You'd think a million of them were made by the number of '69s you see listed on here.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #800 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: