Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Marv, the aluminum hoop, vented window frame trimmed in chrome is a one year only frame for 68. Either Ken's car is very early 69 and some frames were left over or someone ordered it that way or at some point someone swapped them on sometime in the last 50 years.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #801 (permalink)

Thanks Shaun. I had the vented ones on my '67. I prefer the fixed like I have, but the vented ones are cool too.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #802 (permalink)

67 would have been all chrome over brass, vented, very heavy, but again, these cars are like Lego sets, you can build them to please so someone could have put the aluminum version on your car.

Porsche went to the bright dip aluminum frames to save weight and I imagine cost was an issue as well.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #803 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Looking good, Ken. Keep up the good work!! You'll have given the car a new lease on life when done along with making it a pleasure to drive for decades to come. I notice you have the side glass vents that open. My car has the fixed. I think they came both ways but don't remember for sure, but I think mine is fairly early. The VIN ends with 612. You'd think a million of them were made by the number of '69s you see listed on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Marv, the aluminum hoop, vented window frame trimmed in chrome is a one year only frame for 68. Either Ken's car is very early 69 and some frames were left over or someone ordered it that way or at some point someone swapped them on sometime in the last 50 years.
Thanks Marv. In 1974 Gene took the car to a PCA convention at Nurburgring. They all got to drive on the old course, with the high banked curve. Gene said he had the tach at 3:00 and the car at 90 to the ground.

Ferry Porsche, Gene's friend, asked Gene if he wanted to do anything to the car while he stayed at the house in Stuttgart. Yes, movable vent wings for his smoking wife. Not smoking hot, just smoking. Dr. Peter Peich protested saying the design calls for fixed but he authorized the mod and it was completed on the factory floor, along with some other spiff ups. I imagine it was the first 911E with operational vent wings.

Gene met Ferry in 1956, through a mutual friend, when Gene was the US Naval Attache to the Spanish government in Madrid. The friend took Gene from Madrid to Stuttgart to buy a Speedster from Ferry directly and drive it back to Madrid. Gene's first Porsche, then a '62 356, then this '69 911. He married my sister in 1990. She was 39, he was 72. They were married until his death last week at age 101.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 05-18-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #804 (permalink)

Wow! Such a great story, Ken. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #805 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome!
Gonna be a really sweet car with a cool heritage Story to it!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #806 (permalink)

Very cool story Ken!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #807 (permalink)

Garage
Done with paint and body

Kevin Dietrich, Kool Colors, did the front valance two years ago and matched the Polo Red perfectly.

I think he did it again. He fixed door dings, that big scratch, all the orange peel, all the surface imperfections. There is slight re-paint on passenger side door and fender.

These are pre-wash. Photos do not do the wheels justice. Done by Greg Dunn

I'll get some clean ones on the truck in the sun, on the way to Storz. We're getting closer.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 05-26-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #808 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Nice. I love that color.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #809 (permalink)

Garage
Washed and waxed

Looks good to me; the dings, scratches, swirls, cracking and any surface imperfections are all gone.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #810 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Ken - looks great.

Ask me about Replica Fuchs (Even Deep 6 & 7R) wheels!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #811 (permalink)

Garage
Rocker panel covers

One would think that I might have taken a glance at these things in two years before today. I went after them with 0000 steel wool and replaced the rubber on both sides. Our host had both, but the skinny ones were iffy and had to come from Porsche.

I discovered one cover is original, one had been replaced. The original one had the remnents of little square pads on the inside of the lower holes, which I was uanaware of until today. The replacement did not, which only leads me to think that whoever repaired it was too lazy to replace the pads too. Probalaby the same guy who fabricated an oil pressure sending unit o-ring out of silicone.

I could replace them but I like a little originality. Plus, I have to leave something for the nexr owner to have fun with.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 05-26-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #812 (permalink)

Garage
Tool kits

One original, one non-conforming replacement

Original with extra tools and missing tools

Wear and tear

Non-conforming replacement from AASE

New one for daily use, old one for storage

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 05-27-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Old 05-27-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #813 (permalink)

Garage
It's at Storz

Progress. I might actually be driving it this summer. Bob will break in the engine as part of his build. When I get it, drive it, change oil in 800 miles.

Every single piece of the front and rear suspension has been re-coated, re-plated to OEM specs by Tru-6 and Pristine, and Colorado Powder Coating did the engine tin

Engine bits and pieces

Got my Kardex and CoA

I was able to find a Blaupunkt New Yorker on this forum to correct that flaw. Notice delivery address is to a US NAVY warship

Matchng down to the optional equipment

Eye candy at Storz

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 05-29-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #814 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Commemorative Coins

Sis found them in Gene's desk, says they were a gift from Ferry in 1974 but no documentation, just loose coins in a drawer.

Front side

Back side. Who knows what all the numbers signify?

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles

Last edited by kghjr; 05-29-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Old 05-29-2019, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #815 (permalink)

Garage
I love a car with history and a story and they don't come much better than this one.
The car looks great as well Ken enjoy it when you get back behind the wheel.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #816 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post
I love a car with history and a story and they don't come much better than this one.
The car looks great as well Ken enjoy it when you get back behind the wheel.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to do right for the next owner. I am prohibited from being behind the wheel without a passenger spotter. Forget it, I'm not seeking a spotter every time I want to drive it.

As soon as the engine is installed, off it goes to Worldwide

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #817 (permalink)

Sorry to hear you're selling it immediately after finishing it. I don't pay attention to auto sales sites and haven't seen Worldwide. The only other Porsche I saw in my brief inspection was a 356 for $114K.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #818 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Yea, sorry you are needing to sell. But on the bright side, that OB sticker in the rear window is sure to bring top dollar.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #819 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Sorry to hear you're selling it immediately after finishing it. I don't pay attention to auto sales sites and haven't seen Worldwide. The only other Porsche I saw in my brief inspection was a 356 for $114K.
They currently do not have a 911. Maybe that will help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Yea, sorry you are needing to sell. But on the bright side, that OB sticker in the rear window is sure to bring top dollar.
OB was my home beach in my misspent youth. Got a night job to be able to surf all day every day. Those stickers are not easy to find anymore.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 05-31-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #820 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: