Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How'd you get so light?? Front and rear bumpers for FG will save ~150lbs, what else??
Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

Saw this car at SEMA, the interior has nothing but 2 front seats. No carpets just sweet green paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valveandpiston View Post
How'd you get so light?? Front and rear bumpers for FG will save ~150lbs, what else??
Click on the links in the thread. This car has been written about extensively.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Click on the links in the thread. This car has been written about extensively.
You're not wrong. But the articles I've read (including all the SS articles I re-read this AM) don't really go into detail about any weight saving measures taken.

It appears to me (Ryan, please correct me if I'm wrong.) that no real weight-saving measures were intentionally employed. Rather, all non-essential bits were never installed during build-up. No stereo. No HVAC...including control boxes under the car. No carpet. Minimized electrical systems. No sunroof. No door glass that I recall seeing.
Just a painted tub and the bare essentials to get down the road or around a track.

I love this car. It is very near to my goals for my own build.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 04-04-2019, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

I see window regulators in the above photo.

Who needs those?
92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
14 BMW X3 - Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Garage
Nice Light car. ...about 100lbs lighter than my '74 with stock bumpers, carpet, some dynomat in the back. I want to keep the stock look but would like to lose a little more weight. I'm not sure where I will find it though.

'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
You're not wrong. But the articles I've read (including all the SS articles I re-read this AM) don't really go into detail about any weight saving measures taken.

It appears to me (Ryan, please correct me if I'm wrong.) that no real weight-saving measures were intentionally employed. Rather, all non-essential bits were never installed during build-up. No stereo. No HVAC...including control boxes under the car. No carpet. Minimized electrical systems. No sunroof. No door glass that I recall seeing.
Just a painted tub and the bare essentials to get down the road or around a track.

I love this car. It is very near to my goals for my own build.
Hi Chris,

The goal was sub 2200lbs from the get go, but there really wasn't a plan. I knew what I wanted and didn't want and figured we'd get pretty close.

Switching to the TRE fiberglass front bumper, rear bumper and deck lid yielded the most savings. They fit well too.

Other items:

- Completely replaced the entire wiring harness and fuse boxes with a PDM unit and custom harness.
- Absolutely nothing behind the dash and no radio, heat, ac, etc.
- Plugged the sunroof.
- Deleted wipers, antenna and a bunch of small things.
- Shaved everything in the rear that protruded.
- Seats are very light
- ITB's have to weight less than CIS.
- No door panels.
- Interior is basically a dash, two seats, harnesses and a roll bar.
- Mirrors are a little lighter.
- All the factory glass is still in the car including doors.

Last edited by Ryan H; 04-04-2019 at 06:44 AM..
Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Ryan, your car is awesome.
I really want to pare back the wiring on my car even further than I already have, but IDK if I'll ever step up to that super slick PDM setup you have.

Between your build and a few other lightweight builds out there, there is still a lot of hope I can get mine under 2200lbs without exotic materials. (and then maybe close to or under 2000 with them)

IG: @doktor_b
Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz View Post
Nice Light car. ...about 100lbs lighter than my '74 with stock bumpers, carpet, some dynomat in the back. I want to keep the stock look but would like to lose a little more weight. I'm not sure where I will find it though.

jay, i'm doing just that on my '74. i'm keeping the IB's and accordians, but the bumper blades are are FG and i have slick, and very light, aluminum brackets to replace the shocks. FG hood and decklid.

i'm shooting for a stock looking car that comes in at or slightly above 2100 lbs. getting rid of the sunfoof and all non-essentials as we speak.

love that mexico blue car, you were right behind me at buttonwillow on the road to rennsport. my car will look similar, likely gulf blue...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz View Post

I'm still confused how people are getting that light. My 79 911SC had completely gutted interior (no carpet, rear seats, sound deadening), no AC, no radio, stock bumpers, stock glass, 16x7/9 fuchs, 4 point cage, and 3.2SS with carbs. Weight came in at 2,571lbs. I recently put in an RS carpet kit and some light dynamat, which probably added 15 or so lbs.

I'd love to lose ~200lbs...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm still confused how people are getting that light. My 79 911SC had completely gutted interior (no carpet, rear seats, sound deadening), no AC, no radio, stock bumpers, stock glass, 16x7/9 fuchs, 4 point cage, and 3.2SS with carbs. Weight came in at 2,571lbs. I recently put in an RS carpet kit and some light dynamat, which probably added 15 or so lbs.

Switch the bumpers and deck lid
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

Shaved a bunch of weight under the hood

Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

I wasn’t trying to be snarky, rather I enjoyed reading about the car and thought others would, too.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Garage
Yes I remember you and that cool leaf green car. My car is running so much better now then at that event. ...finally got the EFI working really well. I think I advised you to go with carbs back then out of frustration. I'm a believer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
jay, i'm doing just that on my '74. i'm keeping the IB's and accordians, but the bumper blades are are FG and i have slick, and very light, aluminum brackets to replace the shocks. FG hood and decklid.

i'm shooting for a stock looking car that comes in at or slightly above 2100 lbs. getting rid of the sunfoof and all non-essentials as we speak.

love that mexico blue car, you were right behind me at buttonwillow on the road to rennsport. my car will look similar, likely gulf blue...
Old 04-04-2019, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

On my blue car I removed all the sound deadening stuff on the floors the windshield washer stuff, radio, back seats and package tray dash or whatever it is called (it was heavy) and I'm not sure what else over the years. It is a stripped out roller window non-sunroof car. It is under 2300 lbs. I have an '80 SC with full interior 3.2 Short stroke, nice working a/c, Fikse wheels and big brembo brakes. It come in at just under 2700 lbs.

I believe that the '74 bumpers are much lighter than the later impact bumpers. The crush tubes or something I think makes them lighter.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Wow Ryan that is just beautiful! How’s she run just as good at it looks?

Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)

Any updates on those slick Eibach coilovers?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Any updates on those slick Eibach coilovers?
+1

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 04-05-2019, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)

Green machine will be a luft! Make sure you say hello.

I'll probably have some of the shirts with me.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Motor overhaul and update with Sleepers Speed Shop (ITB's, AEM, etc)

Got my tickets to Luft 6, looking forward to getting onto the backlot. Save a T-shirt in XL for me...

Thanks,
Saadi

Old 04-11-2019, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: