Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa44 View Post
I seem to recall someone getting ready to put a 911 shell on a Boxster - a year or so ago. Always wondered what happened to that project. If you've got good welding skills - cut down the middle and make a wider 911 on a great platform.
That is my build, its still going on thought a little bit differently than it started out, I bought and cut up yet another 911 though this time its rust free. That said not much progress has been made as I got side tracked building a Rat Rod jeep. I plan to revive the thread in the next few weeks.

Back on topic, Yes it can be done. If you can weld and have the ability to fabricate parts. That or if you have a lot of money.

Here is a build using a GT3 engine I know it is not a M96 or m97 engine but it is about the same size and style as a m96/ m97 engine and you will have to to the same things in this build to fit a m96/m97 engine. So it is a great starting point when you do your research.

PVX build thread: one view from the slope

PVX build thread: one view from the slope

Here is another build using a build M96 engine in a 930 though its harder to find info on.

Bisimoto Porsche 911 Blast From the Past

Stance Works - Bisimoto's 800whp Watercooled Porsche 930

Hopefully the owner's of the builds dont mind me linking there builds here. As I have gotten a lot of my inspiration from these builds.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post
Erik,
This friend's car has a 996 engine and transmission with lots of water plumbing.
Yes, it fits and it is fast. They sold it after racing for 2 seasons.

I don't have any better pictures of the engine layout.
Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Info and pics from previous owner

We had a GT3 engine which is the same block as the air cooled 964/993 engines - just different heads - so the physical engine fit no problem. The cooling had a big central radiator in the front ducted out the hood.Coolant pipes ran through the cockpit along the passenger door sill and into the engine compartment. It was also workable very nicely for a race car - not very good for a street car!

I don't have a ton of great pics, but here is what I could find easily

Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

contact one of the engine builders on this forum, one of them will have an engine for you. Pay their price for the engine. You will be thousands and years ahead compared to your proposed conversion. If you decide to sell, you have a much better chance of getting real money for the car.

another positive for an air cooled engine is the swap has been done hundreds or more times. every part is available and every step is well documented. Its practically a beginer project vs what you are proposing.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

A 3.4L M97 can be had for $5-10k, and are reliable engines that put out more power than a VarioRam 3.6. Considering there are still crazies swapping those $30k motors in, I suspect there's plenty of room for an M97 to be financially sane (at least by comparison).

That said, I generally echo the sentiments above. If low cost is your goal, an unusual motor swap isn't the way to go. Same with reliability/longevity. The best way into a solid air-cooled 911 would be to wait and keep looking, perhaps rebuild a tired motor yourself. If built well and maintained, these motors will clear 100k miles easily without having to come out of the car. 200k without having to crack the case.

As an aside, I don't know what it's like in Sweden, but around here an aluminum Chevy LS1 in good shape can be bought for a couple grand. Renegade Hybrids sells an extensive kit for installing them in these cars (not without fabrication). They put out 350+hp stock and weigh ~50 pounds more installed than a 3.2. It is a common swap. There are also a few people who have put Subaru transmission in these cars (they sell adapters for LS motors), but it is rare and not extensively documented. It's cheaper to buy a brand new 430hp LS3 from Chevy than it is to rebuild any air-cooled Porsche motor.

Last edited by Tremelune; 03-08-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-08-2017, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Thank you everyone who has shared your thoughts and experiences, and also pictures.

I've been speaking with Renegade Hybrids and one cooling option would be to go with their setup, even though the engine would be a Porsche engine. The other option would be to use two small coolers, one in each front fender.

But, hopefully I will be able to close a deal that includes a low miled 3.2 engine. In that case I will of course go with that option to save myself the trouble.

However, it's obvious it will just get harder and more expensive to find good air cooled engines, so I think we will see more of this conversions in the future. I know I would certainly do it even though it would be tough, if that's what it takes to keep my car rolling.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa44 View Post
I seem to recall someone getting ready to put a 911 shell on a Boxster - a year or so ago. Always wondered what happened to that project. If you've got good welding skills - cut down the middle and make a wider 911 on a great platform.
I did too, will look for it.

This was widely published a couple years ago.

Karmann Ghia on a Boxster. Widened, etc.

Porsche Customizer Puts a 1972 Karmann Ghia Body on a Boxster S | FLATSIXES
Old 03-10-2017, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
There was a Box-Ghia at Hershey last year. I don't remember who's tent.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Occasional User

Not a 911 on a Boxster, but very cool 550 on a 986

986-550 | Issue 205 | Excellence
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

These both look waaay better than a 986.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
if you want cheap put a vw bug motor in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJpJRrcexk
Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: