Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

On the hunt for Porsche...again. (Its been 11 years)

You know the story...

"I wish I never sold my Porsche"

Yeah, thats what happened to me. I had an amazing 1985 Carrera Cabriolet. But, life started to get in the way and the Porsche was traded in for a......... BMW sedan. It was an M5 but still not a Porsche.

So, the real estate crash hits around 2006 and I end up selling the M5 and ending a relationship. And my life continued onward. No Porsche. No relationship. But I had two darling little girls.

A few years later, I remarry. New house and a new baby boy, Marcus. Fast forward... my wife tells me that maybe I can buy another Porsche this year. USED!!!!

She has never ridden in a Porsche. Although, I do have a classic 1973 Mercedes Benz 450SL. Thats about as sporty as it has been for her. I need a Porsche in our lives.

I NEED A PORSCHE

Our house has a small garage. My 450SL is 173" in length. And it is parked indoors, wall to garage door! No walking around room at all.

This makes it a problem to find a Porsche that will fit in the garage the same way my MB does. (Oh.... did I mention that I will be selling the 450SL)

Anyway, I have been running through the net looking and searching out specs. In the meantime, I hope to be back this year as an owner. And hopefully for life ever-after.

If anyone wants or knows someone interested in a 450SL please hit me up.

(Currently on the hunt for my replacement 911)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

After reading this, I think we're all hoping that you pick up another Porsche! Are you going to be in the market for an air-cooled or something a bit newer?

-Dmitry
Old 03-23-2017, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have US spec bumpers still so this could be 6" different for you...but I have both an 88 3.2 911 and an 81 SL and the SL is bigger in every direction...I don't think you have anything to worry about size-wise unless you're talking 991 or something.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
What years are you interested in and what is your asking price for that beautiful Benz? You may not get much action unless you provide a few more details. You may try posting the Benz on Bring A Trailer.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 03-23-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
I have US spec bumpers still so this could be 6" different for you...but I have both an 88 3.2 911 and an 81 SL and the SL is bigger in every direction...I don't think you have anything to worry about size-wise unless you're talking 991 or something.
Thats good info. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
After reading this, I think we're all hoping that you pick up another Porsche! Are you going to be in the market for an air-cooled or something a bit newer?

-Dmitry
We haven't decided on the model or year yet. But i'm looking forward to the research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
What years are you interested in and what is your asking price for that beautiful Benz? You may not get much action unless you provide a few more details. You may try posting the Benz on Bring A Trailer.
I agree. I will need to put the Mercedes on the market. And it happens that the founder of BaT is my neighbor here in San Francisco.

I have a few things to accomplish prior to the moment I actually test drive. Sure, I can test now but I don't like to tease myself. Its going to be a step-by-step process. But i'm determined to follow though.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Have you posted your 450SL up for sale over on our MB forum: PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum - Powered by vBulletin?

Be sure to pop into our Porsche cars for sale section. We have some really good prospects in there.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Kind of Blue

Garage
I want to see more pics of that SL!
1973 Ford F100 4x4 Short Bed
Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just to get you going and since you like Cabs.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/6026156158.html

It has been on there for awhile he should move on the price, and I will help you with a good local mechanic to do an inspection on it if you need me too.

And I have no connection with the car in question. Those sports seat in the car are the best seats I have ever sat in, I have the same earlier ones in my 77S.

I love to look at what is out there.

Last edited by Eli W; 03-24-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Nice car! too bad those wheels wont fit a 911
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Get a air cooled Coupe, period. Dump the SL because it rides and handles like my fathers 87 Buick.

All SC or Carrera need about 15ft in garage length, drive car into garage, never all the way, then push it in by hand so never to damage. I am lucky my garage is 30 ft deep so I park 2 this way.

Good luck, oh ya a Targa would work but Cab do not look right and Porsche never ment these cars to be Cabs
Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Ok 15ft is 180 inches
SC is about 169 inches
Yours is 173 inches

So it will work
I use 15ft because of my door having braces and back on garage not flat
Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If that car is legit that I posted if you could get it under 45k I think that would be money in the bank.

That is if it is numbers matching and in great shape. You could drive it and enjoy it, and not lose money on it.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I recently bought a 73T and have had the best 6 months giving it my touches and driving it with new friends met through the POC and the Esses group.
Should have done it years ago.
Good luck
------------
The only thing I like flat is my 6
Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Cal... got a '79 930 I'd sell you. PM me if you want to talk.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli W View Post
Just to get you going and since you like Cabs.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/6026156158.html

It has been on there for awhile he should move on the price, and I will help you with a good local mechanic to do an inspection on it if you need me too.

And I have no connection with the car in question. Those sports seat in the car are the best seats I have ever sat in, I have the same earlier ones in my 77S.

I love to look at what is out there.
I had an 85 Carrera Cab. It was amazing and with super low miles. Not sure if I could own something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
Ok 15ft is 180 inches
SC is about 169 inches
Yours is 173 inches

So it will work...
Good info. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Cal... got a '79 930 I'd sell you. PM me if you want to talk.

Wow. It already sounds pricey.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonus View Post
I want to see more pics of that SL!

It photographs well.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Pm sent
Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Kind of Blue

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calspeed View Post

It photographs well.
Yes, it does. Very nice!
1973 Ford F100 4x4 Short Bed
Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

It's been almost 3 years and..... time for an update.

I bought a 2008 997.1 Turbo. Good to be back in the game.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: