Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
never ending projects

Narrow band curve/voltage

I've read several posts about people having success running a wideband that also simulates a narrow band sensor. This will be for an 82 SC with Lamda.

Wondering if anyone has refresh rates and or values that they can share

This is pretty generic but what I've found so far

Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Just get this WBO2 gauge, it has a configurable (white wire) output that simulates a NBO2.
AEM 30-4110 DIGITAL WIDEBAND UEGO CONTROLLER AIR FUEL RATIO KIT NEW BOSCH 4.9LSU | eBay
It's a AEM 30-4110.

Or for fancy WBO2 but much more difficult to setup see TechEdge products:
WBo2.com WIDEBAND AFR/LAMBDA (Tech Edge)
But these techedge devices are far more difficult to setup but very feature rich!

If you just want a basic quality WBO2 gauge that can emulate the NBO2 signal you can't beat the AEM 30-4110
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
never ending projects

Thanks Sal
I've got an LC-2 and I was going to do pretty much the same. Probably just use it for setup tuning since I have my CIS torn apart for new injectors and an adjustable WUR.
Was just curious if the graph I posted is pretty much what people are using for Lamda on CIS.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This may help:
https://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tuning/AF%20Ratio%20Basics.html

Your graph is accurate NBO2 behavior.

And this from Bosch
http://www.wbo2.com/lsu/oxygen13-17.pdf
1964 356SC (SOLD)

Last edited by scarceller; 03-29-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
never ending projects

Good stuff!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you go here:

Wiring and Sensors

and scroll down to the Oxygen Sensor paragraph it is a good read if you are installing one or modifying a system.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

never ending projects

Awesome. I built a MSII and relay board for my datsun about 7 years ago. It runs boosted and closed loop. I forgot how much great info those guys have. Thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niner11 View Post
Was just curious if the graph I posted is pretty much what people are using for Lamda on CIS.
Yes. You can "dial in" your AF ratio at idle with a simple VM using a pigtail out of the O2 sensor connection. 0.9 - 0.1V.

Midpoint = perfect? No. Close? Yes. Pretty close.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I do this often as a quick poor man's approach to getting mixture in the ballpark. Works great, just put a good digital meter on a NBO2 sensor then lean mixture till you see it go lean on the meter as voltage drops below 0.5vdc it will settle and stabilize at 0.0-0.2vdc once that happens stop leaning it out. Now we go the other direction and start counting turns on the CIS mixture screw as we richen and count turns till we transition through the 0.5vdc and up to the 0.7-0.9vdc on the meter. Again, while you richen mixture you will notice a point where the voltage stabilizes around 0.7-0.9vdc stop at that point. Now divide number of turns you made from lean to rich and divide by 2. Back up that amount of turns back in the lean direction and you are right at Lambda 14.7AFR. Use a nice new NBO2 sensor for doing this.

Another tip: to test the voltage reading you can simply idle the CIS motor then reach into the intake and grab the air meter plate in the funnel. Push up on the plate slightly and you will richen the mixture, watch the voltage on the meter. Then pull down on the plate to lean mixture again watch the meter. You want to do this to get a hang of how the sensor and the meter behaves as you transition around the 0.5vdc (Lambda point).

Be sure all your testing is done in open loop with no O2 feedback.

These days I own several WBO2 gauges and instruments but sometimes I may not have them with me but folks usually have a decent Volt Meter and a NBO2 sensor and that's good enough to spot check mixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Yes. You can "dial in" your AF ratio at idle with a simple VM using a pigtail out of the O2 sensor connection. 0.9 - 0.1V.

Midpoint = perfect? No. Close? Yes. Pretty close.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarceller View Post
Works great, just put a good digital meter on a NBO2 sensor then lean mixture till you see it go lean on the meter as voltage drops below 0.5vdc it will settle and stabilize at 0.0-0.2vdc once that happens stop leaning it out. Now we go the other direction and start counting turns on the CIS mixture screw as we richen and count turns till we transition through the 0.5vdc and up to the 0.7-0.9vdc on the meter. Again, while you richen mixture you will notice a point where the voltage stabilizes around 0.7-0.9vdc stop at that point. Now divide number of turns you made from lean to rich and divide by 2.
It's very unlikely that on a CIS system a rich to lean condition will ever exceed a 1/2 to
one turn on the mixture screw. It's not like the mixture adjustment on an AFM F/I system,
be it the original analog version or the digital version, e.g. 911 3.2, where multiple turns
result.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysocal911 View Post
It's very unlikely that on a CIS system a rich to lean condition will ever exceed a 1/2 to
one turn on the mixture screw.
Absolutely. More like count the sixteenths of turns.

I like Sal's write up.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: